Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been a couple of times and I'm going again before Laura Marling on Thursday. It's different in the sense that you all sit around a central bar, not great for talking to anyone but your immediate neighbours. Meat boards, cheese boards and a selection of other Italian delicacies (the lardo and the rabbit croquette highly recommended) followed by a simple but perfect choice from three pasta dishes. Small selection of puddings. Doesn't take long, 11/2 hrs tops so ideal if you're going on somewhere, not a whole evening experience. Give it a go.

Just checked the location, all things considered it seems perfect for pre-match?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] doesn't do buses. Where is the nearest taxi rank?

That's a bit unfair, it's the walking I don't like as I'm on limited time in Brighton these days. I'm fine with buses as long as they go where I need to get. :smile:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Had a surprisingly good burger at the Gladstone earlier. Nothing much to report really but the patty was seasoned well and the lettuce was crisp and the fries nice and salty. 9 quid isn't too shabby for a boozer burger and chips of that standard. Recommended if you happen to be in the area.

Two pints of the excellent Gun Brewery Pale Ale made for a pretty unproductive afternoon.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Had a surprisingly good burger at the Gladstone earlier. Nothing much to report really but the patty was seasoned well and the lettuce was crisp and the fries nice and salty. 9 quid isn't too shabby for a boozer burger and chips of that standard. Recommended if you happen to be in the area.

Two pints of the excellent Gun Brewery Pale Ale made for a pretty unproductive afternoon.

The roast dinners are very good at the Gladstone.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I like productive afternoons. Especially after long lunches. Better still, long lunches that obliterate the afternoon are my bag.

Jul 7, 2003
Has anyone been to Salsa Viva Cantina in Worthing since they opened their own place?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Has anyone been to Salsa Viva Cantina in Worthing since they opened their own place?

No but really keen to as love their food! Tried to get them in for my 30th birthday party

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Down in little Southwick Square ,looking above the shops noticed Tosca Tapas and Prosecco bar. Anyone tried it yet? It could be an offshoot of Tosca in Shoreham.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Dizzy Gull at the Brighton Beer Dispensary.
I had a wonderful roast dinner there on Sunday - between us we had the nut roast, lamb & beef and all our plates were pretty much licked clean. Great selection of veg, crispy potatoes, a perfect Yorkshire pudding and homemade gravy. I can see how it was recently voted Best Roast in Brighton & Hove.

Also their jalapeno rarebit is incredible!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dizzy Gull at the Brighton Beer Dispensary.
I had a wonderful roast dinner there on Sunday - between us we had the nut roast, lamb & beef and all our plates were pretty much licked clean. Great selection of veg, crispy potatoes, a perfect Yorkshire pudding and homemade gravy. I can see how it was recently voted Best Roast in Brighton & Hove.

Also their jalapeno rarebit is incredible!

One of the best bars in Brighton for beer as well. Post match, if you see a small group of metrosexual middle-aged men droning on about craft beer that's me and my Man Squad.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Down in little Southwick Square ,looking above the shops noticed Tosca Tapas and Prosecco bar. Anyone tried it yet? It could be an offshoot of Tosca in Shoreham.

Yes, my lady has been in there with her mates a couple of times, it is owned by the same Tosca as in Shoreham. Very modern decor, not too expensive & they have been really busy,
so worth a go but you have to book if Fri or sat night!:bhasign:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tried The Jetty for the first time this week. A little expensive but the food is great - you probably need to like fish to really appreciate it though. Great service to boot.

The only down side was a mother with her 4/5 year old daughter and quite clearly the Grandmother. Allowed the daughter to watch videos on an iPad the whole time with the volume up high and no headphones. I complained and they turned it down for a few minutes before turning it back up. I the end we asked to move away from them. I don't mind children in restaurants just as long as they are well behaved and not on electrical gadgets. Unfortunately this mother clearly though she was special by the look she gave me when I complained, when we moved and when they left ! 9/10 for the food and service - just take your cattle prod for the stuck up mother if she happens to be there.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Another let down at La Choza last night. Uninspiring, tasteless, just plain boring. Some hot shots and two times king prawn soft corn tacos (two tacos per serving) came to 27 quid which is a LOT. Won't be going back until I hear they have drastically improved. Poor.

4/10

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I went to the Blues Kitchen in Shoreditch, London this week. Not been before but managed to get a table at 7pm and it was pretty packed. Service was good (very friendly waitresses....) food is typical BBQ fare really.

Started with the Goat Tacos which were really good I thought and probably the highlight. I then had the buttermilk fried chicken which was nice, but probably should have had the buttermilk fried chicken burger as it needed a bit more with it in terms of blue cheese sauce or something. One of our group had the 3 meat platter which was amazing, tried the burnt ends which were decent. Sides were OK, but the Mac and Cheese could have been cheesier.

Only slight let down was the drinks, at nearly £10 a cocktail they were tiny. That said after 3 was quite tipsy so maybe stronger than we thought.

2 courses and drinks came to about £55 each which isn't bad and would give it a 7/10. Live Blues performances in the bar was good too.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I had a meeting in London earlier this week and visited Temper smokehouse in Soho for dinner afterwards. It's critically acclaimed by the likes of GQ and Jay Rayner so thought I'd give it a try. The idea is that you choose cuts of beef, pork, goat or lamb in 100 g chunks. The meat is smoked for 8-12 hours beforehand and served on a fresh, home-made flatbread. They do tacos and some interesting cocktails too. You can choose a seat at the counter and watch the bustle in the kitchen or take a seat at one of the booths in the basement of the restaurant.

I'd highly recommend it. Pricey, but it really is a meat-eater's dream. Veggies beware, although they do have vegetarian options - that kind of defeats the point of this place.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Yes, my lady has been in there with her mates a couple of times, it is owned by the same Tosca as in Shoreham. Very modern decor, not too expensive & they have been really busy,
so worth a go but you have to book if Fri or sat night!:bhasign:

They want this to be more of a drinks venue so I'm told,dine in Shoreham then followed up in there

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Went for a roast at the Gun Inn in Findon. It was alright, roasts are roasts aren't they? Decent enough bit of beef, disappointing yorkie, decent spuds. The starters we shared of baked goat's cheese with beetroot and some smoked haddock 'croquetas' were probably a better reflection of the skill of the kitchen staff and probably more what they would like to be cooking but you can't not cook a roast on a sunday in a pub seemingly. Might go back for a meal there on a diffrent day. MIGHT.

6/10

Nice walk up Cissbury Ring to see the ponies beforehand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here