Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chester Bennington dies age 41

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Lead vocalist on the biggest-selling debut album of the 21st century, for starters.

Indeed. And at the the risk of going off at a tangent I occasionally have to defend my like of a particular band by explaining that one of their albums is the biggest selling of the last 25 years! Can you name them without Googling it :)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Really really shitty news.
LP were at the front of my CD collection for years.

Meteora was my personal favourite, and I'll be listening to his voice for many years to come.

Rest in Peace C.B

LPLogo-2000.png

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Didn't know much about him when I took my teenage daughter to see Linkin Park at Wembley years ago. They put on a great show and until then I had never heard an entire audience sing every word to every song for the whole gig. He will be missed by both me and my daughter. RIP

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm going to add my own thoughts into this one, I usually leave the outpourings of grief for dead famous people alone but this one resonates. When Meteora came out in 2004 I was 17 and it became my favourite album which was ironic, because Somewhere I Belong is my least favourite from the album and that was the lead single. Then I heard Faint and I was hooked for good, and the whole album is lyrically and instrumentally perfect. Right the way through to Numb at the end which is the best album closing song I've come across on any album. I am not a big fan of the more recent albums but the one thing that remains was the quality vocals from Chester, and the lyrics which actually mean something.

I'm glad I got to see them live, at the O2 a few years ago. You'll struggle to find a better live act than Linkin Park.

Such a talented but tormented man, a real loss and so very tragic to take his life on his friends' birthday. :down: The whole thing is extremely depressing.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I'm 51 and Hybrid Theory, Meteora and Minutes to midnight were the albums I bought of theirs. I think their style changed or I got old so never bought anymore.
But they're still "go to" cds when I feel getting a bit raucous in the car.

and a pretty good parody:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
This one hit me right in the feels.

I was there, didn't realise that it was almost a decade ago, but got goose bumps watching that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. And at the the risk of going off at a tangent I occasionally have to defend my like of a particular band by explaining that one of their albums is the biggest selling of the last 25 years! Can you name them without Googling it :)

I'm guessing Metallica' "black album"?

As an aside folk are also always amazed if you tell them the second biggest selling album ever is by AC/DC.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
His death seems very very sad. His music wasn't my cup of tea but he was clearly talented and clearly reached and touched millions of people in a positive way. A short life but he has left his mark on this world.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And, to be clear, I was responding to the "I don't know him, so he can't have been that good/big" undertones from Whitewhatever, and the subsequent dismissal from him once I'd thrown around a mightily impressive sales stat.

Anyway, I bought Hybrid Theory.... but nothing from them in the 17 years since. 'Parked' them in head as naff/retired.

I actually like their latest 'pop' album but it alienated a huge percentage of their fans (even though the theme/lyrics are still depression/suicide). They really should have released it as a Chester Bennington solo project or under a different name. Regardless, I hope it goes on to be really successful now.

Was the Linkin Park line-up significantly different from the late 90s? I only know them as a part of the nu-metal scene of the late 90s (and even then, the only song I can name of theirs is "In The End") where if I recall correctly, they had a chap sort of rapping and they had Chester doing the proper singing. Did LP end up as a kind of solo project for him or were there other band members still there from the early days?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Was the Linkin Park line-up significantly different from the late 90s? I only know them as a part of the nu-metal scene of the late 90s (and even then, the only song I can name of theirs is "In The End") where if I recall correctly, they had a chap sort of rapping and they had Chester doing the proper singing. Did LP end up as a kind of solo project for him or were there other band members still there from the early days?

No, exactly the same line-up but they went a little EDM and now pop.

The 'rapper', Mike Shinoda, only sings on the latest album (but is significant writer, and producer). They have a couple of guests rappers, inc Stormzy...

FWIW, I think the 'white boy rapping over rock' is what made them dated/naff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You think that's off tangent.

I saw this morning that Appetite for Destruction, the biggest ever selling debut album, was released 30 years ago TODAY.

i would have started a thread but 'isn't my yoof a long way away' threads are becoming a habit I need to break.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No, exactly the same line-up but they went a little EDM and now pop.

The 'rapper' only sings on the latest album (but is significant writer, and producer). They have a couple of guests rappers, inc Stormzy...

Blimey. EDM? I think I'll give that a swerve. I'll have to try the last album but having spent today listening to Lana Del Rey's new one, also with guest rappers, I'll give those songs a very wide berth. Cheers for the prompt response, matey.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey. EDM? I think I'll give that a swerve. I'll have to try the last album but having spent today listening to Lana Del Rey's new one, also with guest rappers, I'll give those songs a very wide berth. Cheers for the prompt response, matey.

Well, 'electronic' at least. As mentioned before, I'm really not an expert on their middle years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here