Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Markus Suttner signs for £3.8m on 3 yr contract

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's not a moan. It's a statement.
His fee and the team he came from are more in line with the Championship than the PL.

Out of curiousity i checked.
# of £4m+ transfers incoming in the Championship so far this summer ?

2 for strikers.

For defenders

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We spent more on Duff last season.
That is one big bar bill.

duff-beer-free-vector-illustration-800x566.jpg

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We spent more on Duff last season.

Some reports say it was about the same (£4m) and he's 5 years younger than Suttner. Probably a factor.
I'm still trying to understand why you think c£4m for a 30 year old Bundesliga defender is a typical Champ fee and move ?

Any other defenders in this fee ballpark signing for the champ this season ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hardly any players went pass Bruno in the last five seasons. I can't see it changing that much.

Sitting the East Lower, the general opinion is how invincible Bruno is. it is not as though the Premier League is full of better full backs being given the runaround. .

Yes, but I think it might this year on pure pace, though some of this will be made up his experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Doesnt seem a lot of money, but who knows. Not many bad 1st Division defenders in that league even if they went down.
Hope he's s just a squad player though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesnt seem a lot of money, but who knows. Not many bad 1st Division defenders in that league even if they went down.
Hope he's s just a squad player though.

He's been a regular in the Bundesliga and is a current International. What makes you think he's just been signed just as backup to Bong ?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The fee is not really relevant as there's more value in signing players from a team just relegated from the German top division then say, the PL. The team isn't relevant as if you look at his stats he compares very favourably against a lot of players from much superior teams. If anything, this shows that he and Gross are actually better players than their stats suggest as they were playing with generally inferior players to those in many other teams.

Hang on, I thought it was widely established on NSC that it's EASY to perform in a poor side ie. Teixeira for us.

(I agree with you by the way)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The fee is not really relevant as there's more value in signing players from a team just relegated from the German top division then say, the PL. The team isn't relevant as if you look at his stats he compares very favourably against a lot of players from much superior teams. If anything, this shows that he and Gross are actually better players than their stats suggest as they were playing with generally inferior players to those in many other teams.

Yeah but that's what everybody said about Chris O'Grady :wink:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He's been a regular in the Bundesliga and is a current International. What makes you think he's just been signed just as backup to Bong ?

We didn't sign Pocognoli when he became available, and he is a Belgian International left-back.
We have been after Suttner for a while and he has presumably been on the club's radar for a long time.
He is an Austrian International defender, and had been playing, as you say, regularly in the Bundesliga.
I think one has to trust in the Club's recruitment structure, and I would hazard a guess he is a better bet than Pocognoli...... and I liked Pocognoli.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We didn't sign Pocognoli when he became available, and he is a Belgian International left-back.
We have been after Suttner for a while and he has presumably been on the club's radar for a long time.
He is an Austrian International defender, and had been playing, as you say, regularly in the Bundesliga.
I think one has to trust in the Club's recruitment structure, and I would hazard a guess he is a better bet than Pocognoli...... and I liked Pocognoli.

So much so you mentioned him three times in one paragraph! And spelt it correctly on each occasion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Agreed. I liked Pocognoli as well, in fact I'd have been quite happy had we signed him permanently (despite his kamikaze performance on the last day at Villa). This guy ticks a lot of boxes though. If Hughton thinks he's an upgrade on Poc then that's good enough for me. Experienced pro who has played at a decent level all his career, a good 3-4 years left in the tank, and we haven't broke the bank to sign him.

Looks like a shrewd bit of business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here