Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think what is being alluded to is that we had three games to secure the three points, not just the Villa game.

We had 46 games to get promoted, we did it. If the squad was mentally fragile or the manager had lost the dressing room this would not have been achieved. All teams have good and bad spells during the season.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I woke up this morning dripping in piss. What a night! Haven't had time to worry about football yet.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If we haven't got a striker and LB in by the first game I'll be shitting it. This is not a proper squad right now, we'll be playing a utility player at LB for crying out loud.

Oh and just an FYI to those smugly saying August 31st. 3 games take place before them, 9 points up for grabs, 6 of them winnable. We cannot afford to be under prepared on day 1.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm sure it's rather tricky, and expensive, to nab the correct and beneficial pro we need, but I think, at the minute, for morale amongst the watchers to be, it would be good to make a BIG signing. The messages we're on the receiving end of are the upping of prices and how your card and identity might be checked, whilst in the backs of our minds we're aware of an extra £100m and more the club are gaining from top flight football. I don't disapprove of our budget, in part because of course I don't know of it, and don't just want any high-waged bugger, but I would like to think we set our targets long ago, and our persuasive powers would be good enough to have money well spent and the regular Joels of us all pleased with our intentions and briefly forgetting the price to us of the step up. That was too long a sentence. But, I'm not worried, yet would like someone soon, if no one minded very much.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
If we haven't got a striker and LB in by the first game I'll be shitting it. This is not a proper squad right now, we'll be playing a utility player at LB for crying out loud.

Oh and just an FYI to those smugly saying August 31st. 3 games take place before them, 9 points up for grabs, 6 of them winnable. We cannot afford to be under prepared on day 1.

Is Bong injured ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is the money spent by promoted clubs on signings in their first season in the EPL.

View attachment 87124

The season Bournemouth and Watford were promoted saw the most money spent on new players, who, as the Bournemouth fan himself alludes to, tended to be poor value for money and didn't make a huge contribution, but perhaps enough of a contribution to help keep both clubs easily up.

View attachment 87125

Thank you. Interesting info there about Watford, Bournemouth and Southampton who were not PL regulars, but each recognised the need to invest heavily immediately, they survived and now they are mid table. A blueprint.

And all those figures are from on the era of the less lucrative PL TV deals.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

Is Bong injured?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The voice of reason.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
panic_button.gif

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The prospect of starting the season with a forward line-up of Murray, Hemed & Baldock and our full back options has me feeling a little uneasy. Not panic stricken but definitely a little worried, no-one can deny that we desperately need some quality forwards to be signed.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Not as far as I know. Are you confirming you'd start Bong at LB over Rosenior against Manchester City?

If fit and we have no other left backs. Bong will defo start. I can't see why Hughton would change his mind and start Rosenior when he didnt last season. When Bong was fit he came back in to the side.

If there is one position that Hughton knows, it's left side full back.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would start Rosenior over Bong, but thats just a personal choice.

Clearly Hughton favours Bong at left back so if no others are signed its reasonable to assume Bong will start.

I expect Suttner to sign in the next 10 days or so.. will he be able to deal with those premier league wide men.... probably not.. but may make a slightly better job of it, thats what we are looking at in all of our signings.

A little bit of immporvement on what we have, thats all we can hope for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here