Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

26% of Scots will be supporting the All Blacks!

el punal

Was saying last night, I was supporting Scotland in 1978 World Cup in Argentina, don't know why I bothered, maybe THAPP will come back from Greece And explain

Ah! The good old 1978 Ally's Tartan Army. Didn't you just love 'em. How they enjoyed sticking it down the throats of any Englishmen that THEY were going to Argentina and not the boys in white. Well, we all know how that turned out. Sorry if I sound bitter and twisted but I was working in Scotland when England beat them 1-0 at Hampden prior to the World Cup, can't exactly say they enjoyed my company, to put it mildly.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wonder who Wee Jimmy Sturgeon is supporting.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40497672

According to that BBC article 26% of Scots will be supporting the All Blacks on Saturday. (It's not the headline, it's about two-thirds of the way down when it mentions a poll on a website).

Now it doesn't bother me in the slightest when due to the Highland Clearances, Oliver Cromwell, Maggie Thatcher, etc the Celtic nations all support England's opponents. I also accept that if England were playing Islamic State half of Scotland would be running round dressed up as Jihadi John, but the Lions isn't English. Apparently because there aren't any Scots in the Test team the Scots feel 'disconnected' from the Lions. Fair enough I can accept them being a bit 'meh' about it all, even to the extent of being neutral - but to actively cheer for the other side I think is taking the usual Scottish position of twisted bitterness a step too far.

Thats because the Scopts are shit at Rugby in the same way they're shit at football. Hurling is their game.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
WP Nel might have got the nod had he not had his injuries (I'm a Quin but I still don't think Sinclair is anywhere near the finished article). Could have been an argument for Richie Gray.

Do you mean Sinckler?
He's had a great tour and made a big impression coming off the bench.
Will only get better imho.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, its 25% supporting the all-blacks

Which means that 75% are supporting the Lions. If the header was written that way instead, I guess the post above mine - 'its just the way they are' might be a little out of place?

No it doesn't. If you'd bothered to read the article rather than just making a stupid calculation you'd have seen that in the same poll less than HALF (46%) are supporting the Lions.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was saying last night, I was supporting Scotland in 1978 World Cup in Argentina, don't know why I bothered, maybe THAPP will come back from Greece And explain

So was I. Then I went on holiday to Spain and met some Scottish people. Wish I hadn't.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thats because the Scopts are shit at Rugby in the same way they're shit at football. Hurling is their game.

Hurling is Irish; shinty is the Scottish version (although for some strange reason, it was played at our primary school).

Shinty is really only a Highland game, back in urban Scotland the national sports are drinking and street brawling.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hurling is Irish; shinty is the Scottish version (although for some strange reason, it was played at our primary school).

Shinty is really only a Highland game, back in urban Scotland the national sports are drinking and street brawling.

I'm going to GUESS that he meant curling.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Just give the English independence so we don't have to suffer this Scottish oppression anymore. Free car Parking in Scottish hospitals paid for by me - Not on your nelly !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Scotland needs to start by actually getting a rugby team with a good smattering of talent and a sport that isn't a joke together.

At the moment they are total shithouse at every sport except curling (tennis Murray exception).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here