Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

I seem to recall him being a little more dismissive of a tweet from a fan regarding CMS who was sat pen in hand signing for the club. Apologies to AN if that is incorrect but perhaps the tweet no longer exists (or my memory is fading.) As for reporting it as it was at the time, that is clearly wrong isn't it. He had just signed for us rather than being QPR or WHU bound. Anyway, we all make mistakes. Who was it that told a fan who was unimpressed with Leon Best's arrival that he was clearly better than our current options? There is nothing wrong with having strong views but sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say actually on occasions the humble supporter offering an opinion might just know more than you.

Last edited:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Naylor blocked me on twitter a couple of years back as I had the nerve to criticise him on his tweets during a game were more about Sunderland than us when Gus was there
No loss on my part

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
From Bigtomfu on another thread:

"Another one in for Huddersfield this morning. I'm teetering on the edge of bed wetting.

Yes we had a better squad, yes they've moved to replace the copious number of loans to perms or add numbers but they've moved swiftly and eagerly and without hesitation or hard ball.

When I can be bothered I'll do a list of their new signings v last season and whether they're like for like or upgrades but can't help but feel that we're way off the pace here.

Yes I know we do things quietly so that if it's in the press it probably BS but Haraguchi, Delaney and Abraham were true and haven't as yet got them over the line.

Whilst I trust it will come good in the end - just about - anyone who thinks it wouldn't be HUGELY beneficial to have all recruits in for the whole of pre-season are kidding themselves.

In theory EVERYONE we sign will be an upgrade or we wouldn't be bothering so therefore they're starting XI players who need to learn how we play/fully integrate.

Also we had a clear four week head start when our destiny was already known so genuinely what the hell gives?

I'm not fussed about not having weeks of speculation, tonnes of names linked officially to the club by the club I just want things over the line."

Not saying I agree with all of that, but most of it hits the spot IMHO...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All this about the signings Huddersfield have made is misleading because Mooy and Palmer were there last season when they failed to get automatic promotion above us because they werent good enough and they have just continued with them Who is to say they will be good enough for the Premier, I have my doubts. Ince is a good signing but again unproven in the Premier and no better than Knockhaert, the rest remain to be seen. I still do not believe they are any stronger now than we are, even with their signings

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
See now that Andy Naylor during a twitter conversation is saying that Delaney may be beyond our financial power since he current club have no need to sell. Disappointed but no surprise I guess.
The key to this is that Naylor said "may be".

That's not "is".

So the deal may still happen ? ???

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Huddersfield have signed players! We haven't signed the same amount of players! Why aren't we signing players?! What ARE they doing in there?! This is typical us!

.... OOORRRR

Chill your beans and have faith in the team which got us to the Premier League with smart, #undertheradar signings.

We don't need Tom ****ing Ince.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
All this about the signings Huddersfield have made is misleading because Mooy and Palmer were there last season when they failed to get automatic promotion above us because they werent good enough and they have just continued with them Who is to say they will be good enough for the Premier, I have my doubts. Ince is a good signing but again unproven in the Premier and no better than Knockhaert, the rest remain to be seen. I still do not believe they are any stronger now than we are, even with their signings

Hi BG... they're stealing a march on us, when we had a 4-week head start on them... your positive spin doesn't change the fact that we are now lagging behind, sorry...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield have signed players! We haven't signed the same amount of players! Why aren't we signing players?! What ARE they doing in there?! This is typical us!

.... OOORRRR

Chill your beans and have faith in the team which got us to the Premier League with smart, #undertheradar signings.

We don't need Tom ****ing Ince.

You're right, we don't need Tom Ince... instead, we need a good half a dozen other signings...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hi BG... they're stealing a march on us, when we had a 4-week head start on them... your positive spin doesn't change the fact that we are now lagging behind, sorry...

It is not positive 'spin', it is fact, as they are playing catch up to get nearer to our standard which was far better than theirs in The Championship and spending loads of money to do it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It is not positive 'spin', it is fact, as they are playing catch up to get nearer to our standard which was far better than theirs in The Championship and spending loads of money to do it.

They WERE playing catch-up, whether they are now is debatable... that's my point...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They WERE playing catch-up, whether they are now is debatable... that's my point...

Who would you have signed had they not? I think the only one is possibly Casey Palmer. We have as good if not better than the rest already and that is disregarding Gross as I have never seen him play,

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Whio would you have signed had they not. I think the only one is possibly Casey Palmer. We have as good if not better than the rest already.

Mooy
Mounie
Palmer
Possibly Williams

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who'd own a football club:-

League One Walsall could receive £4m thanks to a sell-on clause if West Brom or Leicester complete a £20m deal for Watford striker Troy Deeney, 29. (Express and Star)

20 freakin million pounds for Troy flippin Deeney. :nono:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Who'd own a football club:-

League One Walsall could receive £4m thanks to a sell-on clause if West Brom or Leicester complete a £20m deal for Watford striker Troy Deeney, 29. (Express and Star)

20 freakin million pounds for Troy flippin Deeney. :nono:

Good player Troy Deeny

1 in 3 premier league but his game is so much more than that. Not far off England team.

I'd have him in a shot

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mooy
Mounie
Palmer
Possibly Williams

Mooy not as good as Stephens and vastly overpriced.

Mounie played in a struggling Ligue 1 side that finishd just outside the relegtion zone, fidnt we doi th same with COG but it remains to be seen if he will cut it in The Premier but again very expensive.

Palmer I agree a good signing

Williams I dont remember him standing out against us playing for Reading

So in a nutshell would only have been interested in Palmer.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Mooy not as good as Stephens and vastly overpriced.

Mounie played in a struggling Ligue 1 side that finishd just outside the relegtion zone, fidnt we doi th same with COG but it remains to be seen if he will cut it in The Premier but again very expensive.

Palmer I agree a good signing

Williams I dont remember him standing out against us playing for Reading

Don't understand the COG comparison! Ligue 1 is not the French equivalent of the Championship!

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Don't understand the COG comparison! Ligue 1 is not the French equivalent of the Championship!

I'd imagine he means, COG was scoring goals for a team near the bottom of the division we were playing in. He didn't score goals for us.

Mounie scored goals for a team at the bottom of Ligue 1, the equivalent level to which he's just been signed into (Premier League).

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016

You know what - I'll actually agree with you on something.

I think Huddersfield have now filled the gaps from their loans last year - and then some.

Williams on a free is a very good piece of business, while Mounie looks a decent buy for £10m. Always difficult to gauge strikers from other divisions, but he's big and strong and grabbed 14 goals in Ligue 1.

Still not worrying, as Huddersfield buying players doesn't equate to us not buying - but I think they've filled the gaps quickly and any additional signings from now will likely see them stepping ahead of us.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I looked at him two season ago and I penned him then as a non-scoring version of Dale Stephens.

After last season the roles are reversed inasmuch Dale Stephens is a non-scoring version of Armstrong.

Not really filling a gap although he is a good player. one alternative would be to buy a left-sided defensive midfielder and push Dale Stephens forward a bit more, knowing their is someone covering if we lose the ball. We need more goals for central midfield though.

I heard a couple of seasons ago that he wanted to play in the Premier League.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...r-the-premier-league-but-now-is-not-the-time/

NB: this does not seem to be agent generated, but more press speculation until he signs a new contract.

PS: I was thinking of Danny Williams as the defensive midfielder addition.

Andy Naylor‏ [MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus 2h2 hours ago
More
Two more to bin. Stuart Armstrong not on the priority list

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here