Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watches

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
So you're thinking of a dress watch, that goes well with a suit? How much time do you have, as if you're getting second hand it may take a while to find what you want?
A classy watch that goes well with anything - understated elegance is the aim.

Are you looking for an automatic (that's what I'd want, but we're not all the same).
No idea.

If looking for new at that price, have a look at Oris. Second hand maybe an Omega, but it will take some research.
For less money I'd look at Seiko.
Thanks v much. I will check them out. New or 2nd hand is not important.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
So you're thinking of a dress watch, that goes well with a suit? How much time do you have, as if you're getting second hand it may take a while to find what you want?

Are you looking for an automatic (that's what I'd want, but we're not all the same).
If looking for new at that price, have a look at Oris. Second hand maybe an Omega, but it will take some research.
For less money I'd look at Seiko.

Wow, lucky boy.

Likely to struggle with finding a second hand automatic Omega for the price - for second hand I always like to look on here - http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/ tells you about box and papers as well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Likely to struggle with finding a second hand automatic Omega for the price - for second hand I always like to look on here - http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/ tells you about box and papers as well.
Not sure he's after an automatic, but if you go for an older watch you can get them for less.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Evening watch afficionadaos,

I am looking for a present for my son's 21st. He has expressed a preference for a mid-sized watch with a leather strap, a light-coloured face and a fairly plain dial. Budget is around £1,000.

Doesn't have to be new but I would like a box and papers.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and me...I rarely wear a watch but when I do it is a Decathlon sports watch on my (right-handed) right wrist and I don't wear it in bed.

New Tag F1 id say, any 21 would want new right, mine would!!

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Not sure he's after an automatic, but if you go for an older watch you can get them for less.
Automatic would be nice but not essential.

New Tag F1 id say, any 21 would want new right, mine would!!
Thanks for the suggestion but I can't find one with a leather strap or a light coloured face. They are also more elaborate than I am looking for.
I was thinking about something like this:
906842122268492.jpg;w=800;quality=90.jpg

It is on Watchfinder for £995. Good buy?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't find one with a leather strap or a light coloured face. They are also more elaborate than I am looking for.
View attachment 86608

Problem with watches are that they are personal, as a website I personally trust the prices on there but do your own research etc.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
A classy watch that goes well with anything - understated elegance is the aim.

No idea.

Thanks v much. I will check them out. New or 2nd hand is not important.
Have a look at Timefactors.com. Sorry I'm too thick to post a link on my mobile.
I bought a Smiths Everest from them a few years ago and the quality is incredible for the price. From what you mentioned - plain watch with leather strap, mid size the prs 36 cushion case might fit the bill.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For me it is :)

View attachment 86608

A few on here (like Bozza) don't like Raymond Weil. I think it's really difficult to pick for him, as it's so subjective. The RW is a bit fancy, not everyone will like it.

That said, it's great that you're making an effort rather than just asking him to pick. Maybe if you keep going with the research, you can narrow it down to a few options and get him to try each on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some examples (tried to remove the Orient Star, as the picture's too big):

6 Seiko Sarb065.jpg

Oris Artix silver leather.jpg

Tudor Style 38 b.png

Attachments

• 7 Orient Star Classic.jpg
    7 Orient Star Classic.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 180

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don't knock it until you've seen the quality of it. But if you're happy to pay a premium for a brand name then fair enough.
I agree with your general principle of not wasting money on brand names (I have some straps from the people that make the Smiths), but if spending £1k on plain watch I'd expect a manufacturer with some history. What's inside a Smiths Everest for example? Who will service it in 30 years time?

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Any local recommendations for servicing of a Tag grand carrera automatic watch? As an alternative for the £465 tag heuer charge

http://www.russelltalerman.com/

Rolex wanted twelve grand (yes, twelve grand) to replace the casing and service my watch. This guy invisibly repaired it, and serviced it, for £500. Looked brand new when it came back.

He's serviced several watches of mine over the years, and his service and craftsmanship is always first class. Many of the well-known watch dealers and collectors use him.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I agree with your general principle of not wasting money on brand names, but if spending £1k on plain watch I'd expect a manufacturer with some history. What's inside a Smiths Everest for example? Who will service it in 30 years time?
The Everest has a Citizen Miyota cal 9015 movement. Automatic, hacks and can be hand wound. Keeps excellent time. I've no worries about finding someone who can service it. Smiths were a well known British brand for their clocks, instruments, military and civilian watches until the 1980's. The brand name was bought by the guy behind Timefactors.com. I can put my hand on my heart and say I have rarely been happier with a purchase. Doesn't perhaps carry the cachet of better known brands but I assure you the quality is excellent and way exceeds the price point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here