Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some seem to be pretty sore that the "wrong person" was standing in front of the ranks of the world's media in Downing Street this lunchtime.

Chins up lads - it's Friday.

Chemical Ali stuff now. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], for your own sake, please stop.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tories won the election and Tess has a right to form a government. Just remember that Corbyn was short of seats to win so cannot in any way form a government. This refusal to accept a loss is spreading from the Democrats and is poisoning people's minds.
She has been forced to tone down the Brexit stance now and will probably get the result she wanted any way.

Much to my disgust we will not be leaving the EU. The real May has just stood up.

Death of the SNP and a rebirth of Ukip is now the future.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Stop spouting reactionary nonsense.

The party in 2nd has said they are in a position to form a government if required. Doesn't mean they can or will. It is right under our constitution for them to offer to do that until such a time the Queen's speech is voted on. Let us remember Ted Heath won the election in Feb 1974, but refused to form a government and spent the weekend deliberating it before Wilson formed the minority government on the Monday.

Why is it that so many of those who are so keen on Brexit, regaining our sovereignty, don't actually seem to understand what our sovereign Parliament is, and how governments are formed.

So many obsessed with Brexit, when it seems more people are prioritising and concerned with OUR country, not just our exit from an organisation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But what, are were going to discuss what every other person is saying?
It wasn't just a remark a few people made, it was a call from across the political spectrum for May not to play politics with the EU nationals' lives, and guarantee that they could stay. She refused to do so. That all seems fairly farcical if she was never in a position to make such an offer anyway.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Bitter?

Once again, I'm delighted that May has got what she deserved.

I'm just not a blinkered myopic one party man. I'm not going to apologise for being able to criticise both sides, just because most are unable to see much wrong in their chosen party.

I agree with you - looking critically and objectively at all sides is vital. But I do find it odd that she has delivered a speech that seemed to completely ignore what has happened, it just makes her look above it all - which is precisely the attitude that led to last night.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bitter?

Once again, I'm delighted that May has got what she deserved.

I'm just not a blinkered myopic one party man. I'm not going to apologise for being able to criticise both sides, just because most are unable to see much wrong in their chosen party.

You've made snipe after snipe at seemingly no one in particular. It's coming across slightly unhinged, frankly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly why I wanted a hung parliament. If May negotiates something that will be contentious with her own back benchers, something unappealing to her new friends or, as mentioned earlier, a few of her party can't make it to parliament for whatever reason it'll end up rejected. But if the politicians can take a potentially divisive situation and use it to work together and compromise then it should fly thorough with all party support. Very hard Brexit is now off the cards. Ditto the Norway option IMO. We should get something relatively acceptable to all because both major parties will need to buy in.
I pray you're right.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you're calling me a liar, it will be you who is stopped chap.

Eh? I'm saying that you're trying to spin this into somehow not a disastrous result for Tories, and a very, very good one long term for Labour.

Are you threatening to ban me? What the **** is happening to you mate?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
All I'll say is if the roles were reversed and it was Labour and, say, the Greens instead of the Conservatives and the DUP then I would expect Corbyn to do exactly as May has just done.

In front of the ranks of the media and having just returned from Buckingham Palace is never going to be the time nor place to do anything more than what we've just seen.

If you were looking for some dressed up version of "Blimey, that all went a bit worse than I thought. How embarrassing for me. What a pickle I'm in now." you were always going to be disappointed.

Hmm, I'm not certain I would. That speech was clearly written for a huge majority. To give that speech given what has happened overnight seems a bit strange. There are ways of being conciliatory without looking like a weak leader. I think it made her look a little 'head in sand' which doesn't help her image any further. You could argue it's this sort of robotic behaviour that has put her exactly in this position.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
All I'll say is if the roles were reversed and it was Labour and, say, the Greens instead of the Conservatives and the DUP then I would expect Corbyn to do exactly as May has just done.

In front of the ranks of the media and having just returned from Buckingham Palace is never going to be the time nor place to do anything more than what we've just seen.

If you were looking for some dressed up version of "Blimey, that all went a bit worse than I thought. How embarrassing for me. What a pickle I'm in now." you were always going to be disappointed.

Do you think that May should stay until 2022?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmm, I'm not certain I would. That speech was clearly written for a huge majority. To give that speech given what has happened overnight seems a bit strange. There are ways of being conciliatory without looking like a weak leader. I think it made her look a little 'head in sand' which doesn't help her image any further.

This. I would call it a bizarre speech if JC had made it, and it certainly wouldn't be inkeeping with his tone. It was a bizarre speech as 99% of people are agreeing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The post where I said I'd put on a Palace shirt if Corbyn was PM after the election obviously meant IMMEDIATELY after the election. Obviously. Ahem, Phew.

So with that out of the way your post is entirely correct. If Labour had the most seats I would be expecting them to go for it first with Green and SNP backing and, perhaps, some unofficial tacit approvals from the Lib Dems. May won the most seats and a higher popular vote (just, in both cases). She obviously gets first go at governing.

However, if she's just going to myopically repeat catch phrases it's going to last all of 5 minutes. She needs to work with more than the DUP and, whatever she's blustering on the steps of number 10 she knows it too.

Whoever suggested that election to her - Lynton maybe? - is likely to last in office for even less time than her. She must want a time machine,

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Eh? I'm saying that you're trying to spin this into somehow not a disastrous result for Tories, and a very, very good one long term for Labour.

Are you threatening to ban me? What the **** is happening to you mate?

I think El Boz could do with a little sleep.
I suspect he's a little disappointed that he is unable to spend the day teasing [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] and other 'lefties' as expected.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Your leader is perceived as a modern day Jesus (and even shares his initials). You manage to mobilise millions of disaffected young people to come out and vote for him (by promising all the free things). Your opponent is woeful and runs what must be the worst campaign in UK political history. Yet despite all that, you finish a distant second/last in a two horse race.

If I were in that position, I'd probably be trying to pretend I was some sort of victor too.
spin, spin, spin....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here