Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How did people feel about the problems with the water stations? I guess these things happen, but can't see how a race that wants to be number 2 to London can mess up so badly on such a hot day.

Otherwise, an challenging and tough race. Was determined to keep my pace as slow as possible. I think the heat got to me around the 14 mile mark, so started a run/walk.

Finished in just over 6 hours, which was faster than last time, which I'm pleased with. Just glad to finish to be honest, as it looked like quite a few didn't.

Missed out on a T Shirt, as all that was left were extra small, so got one to give to my niece.

Crowd support amazing as ever. Was amazed at the amount of Albion flags, shirts on display around the city. Certainly helped being able to shout "Albion" and "Seagulls" as I made my way round.

Apart from them being a bit crowded and the poor volunteers barely able to keep up with putting enough out didn't see any real problems (although I hate cups - would rather they used small bottles, like London, or the small sachet things they used a couple of years ago - something you can carry between stations). I carried a handheld softflask yesterday and topped that up from their bottles a few times - think anyone running on a day like yesterday needs to do so.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Apart from them being a bit crowded and the poor volunteers barely able to keep up with putting enough out didn't see any real problems (although I hate cups - would rather they used small bottles, like London, or the small sachet things they used a couple of years ago - something you can carry between stations). I carried a handheld softflask yesterday and topped that up from their bottles a few times - think anyone running on a day like yesterday needs to do so.

Well perhaps I'm making more of it than I should. I did like the sachets they had a few years ago. Thinking about it, I was wearing a waist belt that holds a bottle, so could have made use of that, as I've done in the past.

Brighton and Hove always looks amazing on marathon day, with the crowds and atmosphere.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well perhaps I'm making more of it than I should. I did like the sachets they had a few years ago. Thinking about it, I was wearing a waist belt that holds a bottle, so could have made use of that, as I've done in the past.

Brighton and Hove always looks amazing on marathon day, with the crowds and atmosphere.

Sorry - I've only just seen their official press release - sounds from that like at least one aid station ran out of water which isn't great if that's what happened.

The City has really taken the event to heart - support is fantastic and the organisation generally very good. I've done the former 'second biggest' in the UK - Edinburgh - a couple of times and by comparison Brighton is miles ahead on support, course, organisation etc.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Funnily enough the first marathon I mentioned in my original post was Brighton in 2013, I got home in 3:56 so we must have been suffering almost side by side that day!

Thanks to all who offered carbo load advice, I ballsed up a little as I had the sh*ts bad on Friday and Saturday, I think as a result of the rather drastic and dramatic change in diet. But you live and learn and I got round in 3:53, so I bettered my previous time which I'm chuffed about.

Was talking to a guy in the event village after (had a balloon for his 100th marathon with him), and he was telling me how his running improved with joining a running club, something that has never really occurred to me. I see plenty of you guys talking about park runs and the like, I'm a little wet behind the ears with it all and just wondered what has worked for you guys as I'm not adverse to getting involved in something along those lines going forward. All this less than 24 hours after vowing never to run a marathon again...

Well done on getting a PB in those conditions. On to the next one... :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He MAY have dropped out, walked to the Finish area accidentally triggering a couple of mat timers on the way back?

Someone has posted a pic of him........doesn't look like someone ambling back to collect his bag for a DNF..........

cb892176d4b64d295142ce465356d4f7.jpg

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Someone has posted a pic of him........doesn't look like someone ambling back to collect his bag for a DNF..........

cb892176d4b64d295142ce465356d4f7.jpg

Nope, you're right there.

Is that a club vest he's wearing?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just noticed this event and seems well timed for the Wigan home game

http://www.lewesac.co.uk/easterfunrun

Only £6 plus booking. Starts at 11am so showered and changed by 12:30 and then a train back to the Amex for a potential promotion party.

Anyone entered?

Is there a T-SHIRT at the end? If not, I'm OUT :dunce:

Decent prices and I could be tempted to go along with the Jnrs...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good for you, and pleased we're so inclusive ���� He's 57 and from Manchester, called Steve.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Nice smooth thighs and I love knee length socks.:rolleyes:

In fact the bloke behind could be me if I had more hair, more leg muscle and was able to run at the moment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Away from the heroics I managed an hours slow run last night clocking up just over 10K. No reaction in the tendon this morning so it looks like I've got the distance for Worthing 10K already and just need to work on the time.

A review of Brighton from Runner's World came up on my twitter feed this morning. Interesting to see an outsider's view on the race. https://runnersknees.com/2017/04/10/race-review-brighton-marathon/

For me some bits are spot on. The pricing is cynical, and only having cups and "approved" gels at aid stations annoyed me last year, though I made sure I took a small hand held bottle and my own brand of gels. That's not too hard is it? And getting in and out of the village was a bit of a nightmare with both entry points far too narrow. You are constrained a bit by the beach and the allowed site area but last year the only point I felt as if I was going to pass out was talking to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] right at the end of the finish. Not sure why anyone who'd run a five hour race would use the panda bridge though? Stay in the village, have a couple of pints of cooking lager and cross at the crossing point by the roundabout shirley?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Away from the heroics I managed an hours slow run last night clocking up just over 10K. No reaction in the tendon this morning so it looks like I've got the distance for Worthing 10K already and just need to work on the time.

A review of Brighton from Runner's World came up on my twitter feed this morning. Interesting to see an outsider's view on the race. https://runnersknees.com/2017/04/10/race-review-brighton-marathon/

For me some bits are spot on. The pricing is cynical, and only having cups and "approved" gels at aid stations annoyed me last year, though I made sure I took a small hand held bottle and my own brand of gels. That's not too hard is it? And getting in and out of the village was a bit of a nightmare with both entry points far too narrow. You are constrained a bit by the beach and the allowed site area but last year the only point I felt as if I was going to pass out was talking to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] right at the end of the finish. Not sure why anyone who'd run a five hour race would use the panda bridge though? Stay in the village, have a couple of pints of cooking lager and cross at the crossing point by the roundabout shirley?

I am so cynical I blame myself for entering and then cannot moan about the organisers. I'm very pleased with £45 entry.
Well done on your return. The exit route is where you last saw me on last year's BM. Pick up your bag and turn left to Concorde 2. Shoot up the stairs and jump on a bus in St Jame's Street. Bypassing the Village completely and getting to the pub within the hour. This route is for miseries only, who have no friends or family waiting in the village.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Spot on. I carried a small bottle which I topped up when I needed to, carried my own gels and was fine (ish). It's not difficult.

Afterwards. Sat on the beach for 30 mins or so and met the Mrs, got some fresh clothes on and had a drink, then ambled to the crossing at the sealife centre (was busy but kept moving - slow was fine!) before wandering back to Preston Park. The walk was perfect for loosening the legs up.

People expect too much, fail to prepare (it was forecast to be hot, so carrying water was a no-brainer) and then lob criticism at any target they can find

The water stations were crap though, very glad I had my bottle

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am so cynical I blame myself for entering and then cannot moan about the organisers. I'm very pleased with £45 entry.
Well done on your return. The exit route is where you last saw me on last year's BM. Pick up your bag and turn left to Concorde 2. Shoot up the stairs and jump on a bus in St Jame's Street. Bypassing the Village completely and getting to the pub within the hour. This route is for miseries only, who have no friends or family waiting in the village.

Next year I'm going to get them to meet me in the pub :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not being funny but that old geezer looks knackered and that's with missing out a whole chunk of the course!

As for the course feedback, I think that is where trail runners (In my limited everyone) differ. As people such as our own [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] advised - be prepared. But then I understand people who don't take their own fuel because I've been there.

In summary, it looks like the extreme conditions were too much for the emergency procedures. 6/10 must try harder...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here