Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Automatic places

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, beating the number of points 3rd has puts you in 3rd and them in 4th!
It's not that simple. In 2013/14, had Burnley have got just 86 points, they'd still have finished 2nd - whereas Derby would have needed at least 93. So stating how many were needed for 2nd is not straight forward. A good way to look at the amount of points needed for 2nd is to take the average of 2nd and 3rd points in any given season.

I have De Ja Vu. Did we do this last season too?
Yes I, sorry, we did.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not in 2013/14. Burnley finished second with 90 odd points.

Yes it would.

89 points in 2013/14 would still have taken us up.

It's irrelevant what 2nd place got (Burnley on 93). It's what 3rd place got, and that was Derby on 85pts.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes it would.

It's irrelevant what 2nd place got (Burnley on 93). It's what 3rd place got, and that was Derby on 85pts.

It's not irrelevant what 2nd place got. We would have had to have got more points than the team in 2nd to be 2nd ourselves. It's the only number that matters. The number of points 3rd got is irrelevant!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We broke a 85 year old record last season didn't we...fewest defeats WITHOUT going up or something.

If you're new to supporting Brighton, hear this: it's in the clubs DNA to do things the hard way so unless you like
Bumpy rides, best get off now :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's not irrelevant what 2nd place got. We would have had to have got more points than the team in 2nd to be 2nd ourselves. It's the only number that matters. The number of points 3rd got is irrelevant!

Fair enough. You're right, I'm wrong. My apologies. But two points stand out from the original point I was making:

1) Stats of previous seasons mean nothing (Ernest covered that one best by saying it's the next 20 games that matter).

2) There's a long way to go.

Actually, I'll add a 3rd.

3) We were incredibly unlucky last season on many fronts. And when it comes to points we finished on. In many seasons that would have seen us up, and a fair few times as champions too! It's probably how Andy Murray felt for years before finally getting there.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes it would.

Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but 89 points would have beaten Derby County into fourth and we would have been third behind Burnley with 89 to their 93.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
We broke a 85 year old record last season didn't we...fewest defeats WITHOUT going up or something.

If you're new to supporting Brighton, hear this: it's in the clubs DNA to do things the hard way so unless you like
Bumpy rides, best get off now :)

We broke just about every Championship record in the book in NOT gaining auto promotion with 89 points last year.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Just spotted this market has appeared on Bet365:

bet365.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here