Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The fish and chip debate

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Filletts in Lewes Rd near the bottom Elm Grove.

My regular stopping off point en-route to the Amex for a lunch time feast. Although thanks to our 'friends' from Sky, more often than not it's become a mid-afternoon feast now.

In terms of fish, I'm really not arsed if it's skin on, or skinless. If I know it's going to be fresh I'll order Huss, (or Rock Salmon, Dogfish, call it what you will), other wise it's good old dependable Cod for me.

Oh, and always with lashings of salt and vinegar, none of this brown sauce or tomato ketchup nonsense.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Is Bardsleys still good? I can remember queueing outside the shop when I was a kid.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I agree about Fillets. Its the best Fish n Chips I had since the Chinese on Upper Lewes Road in the 80's and early 90's.
The batter is succulent and the Cod is delicious massive flakes, Always the Friday meal at out House.
:):):)

The Chinese chippy in Upper Lewes Road will always be my favourite. I hadn't realised it had gone. Perhaps the loss of my business when I moved away was too much for them to take.

On the main issues:
Skin on
No ketchup
No vinegar
Loads of salt
:thumbsup:

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Tammies off Dyke Road gets my vote. Spent ages going around different chippies trying them when I moved to Brighton. Didn't try Fillets though. Will try that now to compare!!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I really like the Kemp Town Chippy near the RSCH.

Fish in chip shops just taste washed out now days though. You wouldn't know it is fish. Maybe I'm going to the wrong places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
I endorse the vote for Fillets - absolute top drawer.

Anyone been to the chippy a few shops down from Hove station, almost next to the pub that keeps on changing its name? It looks quite fancy, wondered what it was like

Wolfies is the chippy. Seems to have a few fans (and good at self promotion). I tried it not long after it opened and wasn't impressed by the chips but that was a couple of years ago so it might have improved.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The Chinese chippy in Upper Lewes Road will always be my favourite. I hadn't realised it had gone. Perhaps the loss of my business when I moved away was too much for them to take.

On the main issues:
Skin on
No ketchup
No vinegar
Loads of salt
:thumbsup:

china town2 is still going , it has been a Chinese/chippy for as long as I have lived in the area (12 years)

Is Bardsleys still good? I can remember queueing outside the shop when I was a kid.

IMHO it is ok but not worth the extra money that the fish and chips cost so is not VFM in my eyes. There is a new one opened up recently in London Rd, ready for the student accomodation I would think, but I havent tried it yet.

have to disagree [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]s grandad IMO Bardsleys is still by far the best chippy in the city, that said always had a sit down meal in there never a takeaway,

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
china town2 is still going , it has been a Chinese/chippy for as long as I have lived in the area (12 years)

have to disagree [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]s grandad IMO Bardsleys is still by far the best chippy in the city, that said always had a sit down meal in there never a takeaway,

I only ever buy take away. If I want to sit down to I go to Fish Factory in Worthing. Or there is a very good one in Notting Hill London.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Not bothered by fish type, depends on the mood, S n V, mushy peas and tartar source.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I only ever buy take away. If I want to sit down to I go to Fish Factory in Worthing. Or there is a very good one in Notting Hill London.

Some very good sit down fish 'n chip places in Hastings too. The fish comes in on the small fishing boats which are hauled up onto the beach, then taken straight to the fryer.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I agree about Fillets. Its the best Fish n Chips I had since the Chinese on Upper Lewes Road in the 80's and early 90's.
The batter is succulent and the Cod is delicious massive flakes, Always the Friday meal at out House.
:):):)
Now that chippy on Upper Lewes Road was the business. Unbeatable at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here