Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is this ad not deemed racist ?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
How the hell do you decide it doesn't exist in my world?!

In my mind that is not racist. It is something I have seen with my own eyes (not in a playground granted) I have sent white people abuse others and as such it is fact and saying that people of all colours should vote to be heard and all are equal.

I find it hard to be offended and scream racism from a poster that is trying to get a message across
No it isn't... it's saying black people should vote....that's the message....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Again there is no burgeoning skinhead movement that fits that stereotype, most are ageing SKA (I think) enthusiasts, the skinhead represents white young men against a passive asian woman, if I had the inclination I would be really offended, but as the OP said it wouldnt be able to happen the other way round, thats the point, it is not equitable.

Really? If you have one image to portray a racist you don't think a picture of Skinhead fits the bill? I'm not in anyway saying that Skinheads are racist, but that's how stereotypes work and that's why it's lazy to use them. If I wanted an image to represent your "everyday" white young man I don't think I'd choose a Skinhead.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I wanted to leave this thread on a positive note so here's a video by a Walthamstow band called The Skints who have been around for a few years now having formed the band at school about 10 or so years ago, the female lead singer is mixed race, the band dress in a suedehead style and their music is a mix of ska/pop punk and a little bit of old school chatting. They've built up quite a reputation around the reggae world having collaborated with the likes of Tippa Irie and Horseman. If kids from Walthamstow can feel comfortable dressing like that around their neighbourhood and getting into the ska scene I think it shows that most people know for sure that the politics element for the UK skinhead scene is pretty much dead.

I think they f*cking rock.
not ska per se, but a couple of tunes that ive always loved , perfect for a sunny day like today , not quite burning spear [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] but great nonetheless !!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not sure I totally understand the message.

My reading into the message of the ad is this and I am not saying I am definitely correct - Its just my take on the ad.

I think it says get out and vote because your vote will cancel out or balance the people with opposing views on the other side of the argument. Some people consider the ad racist, some don't. The part i find I don't like is that it assumes that a young shaven headed white man will vote very differently from a miiddle aged or elderly Indian woman.

I don't actually think that is the case because the polls are stating that the elderly not just white elderly people but from all walks of life will have a tendency to vote to leave. Polls are not always accurate but in many instances they are.

That said the ad for me gets the point across so I suppose it has done what it set out to do.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
not ska per se, but a couple of tunes that ive always loved , perfect for a sunny day like today , not quite burning spear [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] but great nonetheless !!

I love UK Lovers rock..
Trying to get them into it here, but not too successful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPTB6-yXm4A

Quite like this lady as well, although, I cant find the proper video at the moment
Lady Lex... Looks like somebodies mum, but she can sing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMQdghnbWFA

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
image.jpeg

A pic from the Skinhead reunion at Volks pub in Madera drive Brighton, happens every June now
Yes the Skinhead movement in the late 70s early 80s had a bad element attached to it, everybody knows that (some right horrible *******s to be honest) but for me it was all about the music and clothes( never was a skinhead but wore Fred Perry loafers tonic suites etc) race never came into it, following the 2 Tone movement from 79 onwards was a great time as a teenager
Jerry Dammers message with his 2 tone label bringing black & white together got a bit lost within the Skinhead movement which was a shame
But today's skinhead reunions are how it should of been and could of been many moons ago, skinheads from USA Germany Swedon & Australia all come together now in a celebration of the culture defined by its music and clothes and have a great time, no nazi salutes no fighting no racial hatred just a load of 40/50 somethings reminiscing the skinhead culture

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
View attachment 75201

A pic from the Skinhead reunion at Volks pub in Madera drive Brighton, happens every June now
Yes the Skinhead movement in the late 70s early 80s had a bad element attached to it, everybody knows that (some right horrible *******s to be honest) but for me it was all about the music and clothes( never was a skinhead but wore Fred Perry loafers tonic suites etc) race never came into it, following the 2 Tone movement from 79 onwards was a great time as a teenager
Jerry Dammers message with his 2 tone label bringing black & white together got a bit lost within the Skinhead movement which was a shame
But today's skinhead reunions are how it should of been and could of been many moons ago, skinheads from USA Germany Swedon & Australia all come together now in a celebration of the culture defined by its music and clothes and have a great time, no nazi salutes no fighting no racial hatred just a load of 40/50 somethings reminiscing the skinhead culture
No nazi salute ? or steel capped boot ? tell me why, tell me why, tell me why...................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
View attachment 75201

Bob Crow seems to be in the centre of the second row.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Seems strange how some lump in skinheads as racists. In the early 70's i remember seeing many black skinheads, i don't remember any black rockers though..... perhaps there has been a mix up.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's a crap advert. She wouldn't have time for the park she would be running the corner shop.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The skinhead subculture was originally associated with black music genres such as soul, ska, rocksteady and early reggae.[1][28] The link between skinheads and Jamaican music led to the UK popularity of groups such as Desmond Dekker, Derrick Morgan, Laurel Aitken, Symarip and The Pioneers.[13] In the early 1970s, some reggae songs began to feature themes of black nationalism, which many white skinheads could not relate to.[29] This shift in reggae's lyrical themes created some tension between black and white skinheads, who otherwise got along fairly well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The skinhead subculture was originally associated with black music genres such as soul, ska, rocksteady and early reggae.[1][28] The link between skinheads and Jamaican music led to the UK popularity of groups such as Desmond Dekker, Derrick Morgan, Laurel Aitken, Symarip and The Pioneers.[13] In the early 1970s, some reggae songs began to feature themes of black nationalism, which many white skinheads could not relate to.[29] This shift in reggae's lyrical themes created some tension between black and white skinheads, who otherwise got along fairly well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead[/QUOTE

By the 80s Reggae moved away from the Ska sound as well. I went to a lot of Ska concerts in the late 80s revival, particularly a band called The Riffs (saw them 9 times, Neville's Breakfast Just One Egg being one of their songs and they used to do a great cover of Night Boat to Cairo). We went to festivals at the Finsbury Park Tavern and Shoreditch Town Hall and there weren't many/any black faces because this was music listened to by young white skinheads and elderly black people. Black kids weren't that interested in their Grandparents music whereas we were ! An elderly Laurel Aitken was superb at Shoreditch, playing for a hall full of white skinheads. By the way I was never a skinhead, just loved the music.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The lad does seem to be doing all the work holding the lady up on the swing,sexist and trueful maybe....men doing all the work as usual :lolol: :jester:

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Seems strange how some lump in skinheads as racists. In the early 70's i remember seeing many black skinheads, i don't remember any black rockers though..... perhaps there has been a mix up.
Living Colour, Bad Brains, Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Kennedys to name a few all had black members.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

woody12a

Nov 9, 2006
View attachment 75201

It's on again next weekend at The Volks .... all welcome, it's free from 12-6pm (maybe just a donation for Help for Heroes if you like), always a nice friendly vibe, never been a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here