Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If he continues to piss one of 'us' off, someone might want to mark his card that there's a Beachy Head descent KOM with his name on it.
My plan is en masse we HTC the s**t out of 'his' segments, with Glanders bringing home all the trophies.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Which eastbourne rover is it? Not stuart Davis by any chance?

Nope, but I'll give you a clue Tom, his initials are M.E. (M.E, M.E)

Don't really want to put his name on here as can be doing without any fallout, he's not really my focus (at the moment anyway) and don't want to be his. Get the impression he's not all there

It gets worse though, after all the hassle of a 2 week enquiry Strava have just reinstated my 5 rides taking 'his' KOM's saying they are fine. Looks like he then tried to delete some of these segments that he had created and lost. He creates many segments with pinpoint accuracy as to where he achieves his max power / speed. Nothing like a good sportsman.

I have set them up again.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Don't really want to put his name on here as can be doing without any fallout, he's not really my focus (at the moment anyway) and don't want to be his. Get the impression he's not all there

It gets worse though, after all the hassle of a 2 week enquiry Strava have just reinstated my 5 rides taking 'his' KOM's saying they are fine. Looks like he then tried to delete some of these segments that he had created and lost. He creates many segments with pinpoint accuracy as to where he achieves his max power / speed. Nothing like a good sportsman.

Hopefully it's now done and dusted. :thumbsup:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

This is just bizarre. It's like pretending to be 14 and entering a kids race (even though I'm sure I'm slower than when I was 14!) just to say you won. Where's the "glory" in trying to rig the system?

I've been converted to Strava as it adds motivation but it is not any barometer of real bike riding!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is just bizarre. It's like pretending to be 14 and entering a kids race (even though I'm sure I'm slower than when I was 14!) just to say you won. Where's the "glory" in trying to rig the system?

I've been converted to Strava as it adds motivation but it is not any barometer of real bike riding!

I spent quite a few years involved with kids football (as a parent and coach) and believe me some of the things you see from adults in the name of 'competition' is just plain sad. Left me quite disillusioned with the whole thing. Witnessing 11 kids start a game against 8 kids and consequently winning twentysomething nil, because the adults involved weren't prepared to level the playing field, finally did for me in the end.

As we all know though, wherever there's any kind of competition or game, there's sure to be some tit who method acts the competitive dad role. Just a shame for armchairclubber to find himself a victim of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1AtAQM1mNw

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Wow, just wow.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I spent quite a few years involved with kids football (as a parent and coach) and believe me some of the things you see from adults in the name of 'competition' is just plain sad. Left me quite disillusioned with the whole thing. Witnessing 11 kids start a game against 8 kids and consequently winning twentysomething nil, because the adults involved weren't prepared to level the playing field, finally did for me in the end.

As we all know though, wherever there's any kind of competition or game, there's sure to be some tit who method acts the competitive dad role. Just a shame for armchairclubber to find himself a victim of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1AtAQM1mNw
I'm lucky my kids aren't at that age yet but I know it's coming!

In that vein, it's good to see British cycling have removed rankings for under 12s and insisted of a reduction in the pressured competition at these young ages. They've also tried to limit equipment to make it more accessible.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
First ride out on the pro 4s today. Very nice indeed, roll smoothly and very nice to corner on.

Will have to see how they fair in the wet and if they hold up to the new forest roads (I noticed a slow puncture a few miles from home).

I'm attributing today's average speed entirely to them!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First ride out on the pro 4s today. Very nice indeed, roll smoothly and very nice to corner on.

Will have to see how they fair in the wet and if they hold up to the new forest roads (I noticed a slow puncture a few miles from home).

I'm attributing today's average speed entirely to them!
A very rapid 55 miles.

Have you ever thought about racing!?!! ;lol:

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012

I don't know the bloke but he sounds like a proper tool. Just checked the results of the Rovers' TTs and his times are pretty pony, so I think the 'Competitive Dad' conclusions are probably spot on!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]

Strava success!

So, SB sent me his garmin file which I converted and opened in Adze (Mac app) where I could edit the file from where John reached level with my house, to the point where my strava recording eventually started by deleting tracks I didn't need. I was able to export this new file as a .gpx and import it as a second activity on Strava so my miles were REAL afterall!!

I was actually able to export my Strava activity and link it to John's in Adze for a complete ride activity, but when exported it lost time data or something and Strava didn't like it importing back in. So I'm happy with 2 activities recording that mornings efforts!

Anyway, I thought I'd share this as it is possible to edit someone's gps data if you have ridden with them down to the portion of the ride yours missed, then import back into Strava. :thumbsup:

Only draw back is having to put up with SB's slower segment times...:hilton:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]

Strava success!

So, SB sent me his garmin file which I converted and opened in Adze (Mac app) where I could edit the file from where John reached level with my house, to the point where my strava recording eventually started by deleting tracks I didn't need. I was able to export this new file as a .gpx and import it as a second activity on Strava so my miles were REAL afterall!!

I was actually able to export my Strava activity and link it to John's in Adze for a complete ride activity, but when exported it lost time data or something and Strava didn't like it importing back in. So I'm happy with 2 activities recording that mornings efforts!

Anyway, I thought I'd share this as it is possible to edit someone's gps data if you have ridden with them down to the portion of the ride yours missed, then import back into Strava. :thumbsup:

Fortunately for you, you lost me after Garmin file.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It must be tough having all of those 54 new trophies. double :hilton:

Including all those ones from your front door to the pier.
Where if I remember rightly you said "I rode past just to make sure I get the Strava".

Might I suggest in future you say "Can I have your file, just to make sure". triple :hilton:

:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On a somewhat more sensible note, I've been really struggling to get a new jersey.

This morning, having once again gone through all the usual sites I was on the verge of blowing the:-

Team Geek Assemble conch

when I stumbled across

http://www.conquestcyclewear.com/

Their kit at full price gets very good reviews, and now it seems to be half price.
The jersey should be with me tomorrow, if it's any good I'll let you know.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It must be tough having all of those 54 new trophies. double :hilton:

Including all those ones from your front door to the pier.
Where if I remember rightly you said "I rode past just to make sure I get the Strava".

Might I suggest in future you say "Can I have your file, just to make sure". triple :hilton:

:lolol:

Should have been more!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Stat forgive if I'm wrong but I've ridden up and down Pouter's Lane and I can't find this massive 14% climb anywhere ???

image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here