NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like you when he first started 606 I couldn't bare listening and would often turn it off....but as others have said he has changed (a lot imho)or grown into the job and not only is a good listen on Ping Pong Guy but 606 as well...so its a pity you have closed your mind to him

My mind is only closed as I have numerous other things I’d rather do with my spare time than allow Robbie Savage an opportunity to rehabilitate himself with me. He seems to have changed a bit, and numerous people testify to this, so all good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Robbie Savage is what I refer to as your ''Bake it or Fake it '' character and that puts him in the same bracket as Stan Collymore as far as I am concerned.

By ''Bake it or Fake it I mean he will show or try to show any and every side of him to earn a ''buck''

When he had plenty media work he showed a brutal uncaring side lambasting teams and players for their performances, uncaring of other peoples feelings on what he said about them. Then when that work begins to slow down, to win the Public back on side he plays the sympathy card with his tales of woe in his life in the hope he will get some work somewhere in TV because he can't or won't do anything else to make a living.

All his claims about bad people surrounding and bad investments. I totally believe him because Wealthy Footballers are a Target; however, they have to take responsibility for themselves and make sure the people they surround themselves with have their interests at heart.

The modern day footballer playing at the level he played at should never be at such a level where they need to go ''Public'' on their ''tales of woe'' - This interview / article makes him more likeable as a person than what I previously thought of him too but at the back of my mind I feel I am being conned, the way he was probably conned by people he surrounded himself with at the height of his career.

I think part of his tale of woe included his father who contracted Picks Disease at 58 (Frontal Lobe Dementia) and died aged 64. It is a very cruel form of dementia.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think part of his tale of woe included his father who contracted Picks Disease at 58 (Frontal Lobe Dementia) and died aged 64. It is a very cruel form of dementia.

I did actually say in my earlier post ''This interview / article makes him more likeable as a person than what I previously thought of him''

However, how come we never heard that ''tale of woe'' till the media work slows down ? - I am not unsympathetic to his plight. I just question the timing of it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And even paying £1K a week was £1K too much. He contributed nothing. He should have paid us.

Actually, I think he did give 'us' back our contributions for his wages did he not ? Or at least covered his own accommodation at the time. Something like that anyway

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I did actually say in my earlier post ''This interview / article makes him more likeable as a person than what I previously thought of him''

However, how come we never heard that ''tale of woe'' till the media work slows down ? - I am not unsympathetic to his plight. I just question the timing of it.

It's been at least five years.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/robbie-savage-watching-dad-die-2272435

Correction Six years

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/robbie-savage-watching-dad-die-2272435

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Has the media work 'slowed down' then?

He presents a BBC flagship weekly radio show, in 606.
He produces this podcast with Flintoff and Syed, which 5L promote constantly.
He presented a daily show on 5L throughout the World Cup in the summer.
He is on BT Sport's goals show every Saturday afternoon.
He is regularly a co-commentator on BT's Premier League live matches.

:shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

His media work hasn't slowed down though has it. He hosted a live daily primetime morning show on R5L throughout the World Cup. He's still doing 606. I don't subscribe to it, but to my knowledge he's still doing some punditry work on BT. He's been on Strictly. He's back on the weekly pod with Flintoff and Syed. You can't get rid of the bloke !

The story relating to his father he gave during one of the episodes of that podcast. The nature of the pod (if you haven't listened to it) is to talk about current events in sports, as well as generalised questions about various aspects of their lives and their careers, and how they've handled them. When he lost his father, he gave a very moving account of it, and his feelings of guilt for not being there. He hasn't "used" the death of his father to boost his media profile, thats a highly skewed and cynical way of looking at it. For the pod, both him and Flintoff (and Syed as well) have drawn on and expanded on their life experiences in discussing various topics and aspects of their careers.

Savage doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer academically, but he's certainly made the most of what limited talents he had to forge a successful football career through sheer hard work, persistence and determination. He's showing that same drive in his post-footballing career. I've got a lot of time for him now. There's certainly a lot more to him than the brash, bling, cartoon bad-guy image he had as a player.

[edit] as Hans Kray has alluded to while I was tapping that lot out.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
As far as I recall Robbie spent most of his playing time in the corner in front of H block flicking V signs behind his back at the distant away fans and grinning at us.

I do remember Granny Weatherwax AKA Dave the Gaffer making us all laugh with his random anti Savage bellows.

Oh, and I like Robbie calling the game. He always gives a good account of what’s gone on without the likes of Danny Murphy giving it the “only those of us who’ve played the pro-game can comment on it” attitude.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As far as I recall Robbie spent most of his playing time in the corner in front of H block flicking V signs behind his back at the distant away fans and grinning at us.

I do remember Granny Weatherwax AKA Dave the Gaffer making us all laugh with his random anti Savage bellows.

Oh, and I like Robbie calling the game. He always gives a good account of what’s gone on without the likes of Danny Murphy giving it the “only those of us who’ve played the pro-game can comment on it” attitude.

I like Savage and agree with you about Murphy, but Savage also very much pulls the "Did you ever play the pro game?" trump card in arguments all the time.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Has the media work 'slowed down' then?

He presents a BBC flagship weekly radio show, in 606.
He produces this podcast with Flintoff and Syed, which 5L promote constantly.
He presented a daily show on 5L throughout the World Cup in the summer.
He is on BT Sport's goals show every Saturday afternoon.
He is regularly a co-commentator on BT's Premier League live matches.

:shrug:

They are not the ''big buck earning'' shows he used to be on - ''One off'' or 'on request'' contracts for the most part paid more

BT Are top heavy in the early part of the season. The latter part of the season BT cover much less PL games as the season goes on.

Maybe I am being Cynical - I would apologise if I was but I am not convinced I am.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I like Savage and agree with you about Murphy, but Savage also very much pulls the "Did you ever play the pro game?" trump card in arguments all the time.

Thinking about it you’re right. Contextually though Savage usually does it when he’s proper angry with a punter and it goes “how many times did you play in the premier league then smartarse” whereas Murphy often uses it as his opening gambit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thinking about it you’re right. Contextually though Savage usually does it when he’s proper angry with a punter and it goes “how many times did you play in the premier league then smartarse” whereas Murphy often uses it as his opening gambit.

Maybe someone should deliver the “what level have you managed at then?” line the next time Murphy holds court about how managers of Premier League clubs should set up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They are not the ''big buck earning'' shows he used to be on - ''One off'' or 'on request'' contracts for the most part paid more

BT Are top heavy in the early part of the season. The latter part of the season BT cover much less PL games as the season goes on.

Maybe I am being Cynical - I would apologise if I was but I am not convinced I am.

At Companies House his limited company accounts (no 04319677) give us the answer. In error they reveal too much, as his accountants could've filed in effect just a balance sheet.

They show a corporation tax liability of £96k, so he's making a profit of £500k per annum from his media and guest speaker work. That CT figure is rising, so his work is increasing.

(I didn't realise this was so lucrative).

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Dunno about cynical. I think you're just flat-out WRONG.

You can't possibly build a flourishing media career off the back of your dad dying.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Maybe someone should deliver the “what level have you managed at then?” line the next time Murphy holds court about how managers of Premier League clubs should set up.

I’ve noticed Murphy often talks about other things outside Football and no one challenges him on anything. He was talking about cheese and beetroot sandwiches the other day and I didn’t hear Jim White shout “how many sandwich shops have you owned then”? Surely every time he expounds on some area outside his own - very limited- CV I think that would shut the baldy scouse whingebag up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve noticed Murphy often talks about other things outside Football and no one challenges him on anything. He was talking about cheese and beetroot sandwiches the other day and I didn’t hear Jim White shout “how many sandwich shops have you owned then”? Surely every time he expounds on some area outside his own - very limited- CV I think that would shut the baldy scouse whingebag up.

I just find him pretty dull, for me it’s the same with Shearer, Scholes, Dixon, Giggs and Hoddle. Plus you never learn any insights, funny stories or get a controversial standpoint with that lot.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
It might have saved his life, but it added years to mine.

Bang Average...

...would be completely undeserved hyperbolic praise of his performances for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here