Fire at Manchester Dogs Home - Over 50 dogs dead

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
_77545936_afa8259a-3438-4b13-a9cf-f2174d2b8e16.jpg

_77545934_77545933.jpg

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Tragic news. Brilliant that so many people have gotten involved and lent a hand. Interesting that light can be found in darkness.

Whilst I'm not defending the kid here, he's quite clearly committed an atrocious crime and should be punished, I do have to wonder about the sort of circumstances he was brought up in. I've always found it difficult to believe that some people are just "born bad".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
the kid just needs to get Oscar Pistorius's legal team and he will be fine

Maybe, but, if he had shot a dog the rope would have been thrown over the nearest lampost months ago.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Awful. Caged and unable to escape fire. Must have been absolutely terrifying and pretty much a death sentence for any dogs surviving this too. How can any dog can recover from such an experience without deep seated emotional scars?

There's a strong link between cruelty to animals and murderers/serial killers. Any punishment/corrective action needs to take this into account to protect the general population, but of course it won't.

Horrible horrible news.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I personally believe that the law should treat any unnecessary suffering caused to animals, particularly large mammals, as the same as human beings.

Cannot say that I am actually with Huple on this one, because I fully realised what kind of reaction his original comment would provoke, but he did only make an ill advised quip.

Whoever did start this fire is a proper cxxt and deserves a damn good punishment, but to compare it to killing humans is ridiculous (cue the animal rights lobby). The human race kills millions of animals every day for food, pest control, accidentally etc etc, the victims in this case were dogs, not children thankfully.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Cannot say that I am actually with Huple on this one, because I fully realised what kind of reaction his original comment would provoke, but he did only make an ill advised quip.

Whoever did start this fire is a proper cxxt and deserves a damn good punishment, but to compare it to killing humans is ridiculous (cue the animal rights lobby). The human race kills millions of animals every day for food, pest control, accidentally etc etc, the victims in this case were dogs, not children thankfully.

I agree with this. It is awful and tragic - and amazing that half a million pounds has been raised already. But I do wonder why we seem to be more concerned about dogs than human beings (I don't think a public appeal for people who have died in the Kashmir floods would have raised that much money in such short a time).

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I agree with this. It is awful and tragic - and amazing that half a million pounds has been raised already. But I do wonder why we seem to be more concerned about dogs than human beings (I don't think a public appeal for people who have died in the Kashmir floods would have raised that much money in such short a time).

I'm not more concerned with dogs than people but as an animal lover I'm equally concerned and I see nothing wrong with that. Animals rarely have the capacity to hurt or harm others, which is more than can be said for some humans.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

You're right to an extent. If someone had killed 50 kids in a children's home in Manchester it probably would have knocked the Pistorious trial from being the first story on the BBC today. I can understand the view that some people are oversentimental when it comes to domestic pets, but there's a time and a place for gags, and [MENTION=12021]Huple[/MENTION] did have the opportunity to edit/delete his original comments, but instead chose to stir things further.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why is it ridiculous? Animals are living beings that can suffer and feel pain just like us - but one thing you can guarantee about an animal is that it is always innocent, just like young children.

Some animals are more sentient than others, perhaps the law could make a grading of some sort to define that, but I would be interested to hear an argument why a murder of a dog/dolphin/primate or any other intelligent animal shouldn't be treated by courts as the equivalent of murdering another human being.

Unfortunately this discussion will end up going off track, but hey ho. I in no way condone, defend or support the little runt who caused this, but.......

The illegal killing of another human being should always be punished more harshly than the illegal killing of another species. Animal species the world over attack and exploit each other, lions kill antelope, killer whales target seals, domestic cats chase mice and birds, foxes kill chickens for fun, are they all innocent? Do you object to the testing of medicinal products on animals, even when it is the only option to ensure its safety for use on humans?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

It was the combination of his comments that did it for me, rather than just his first one.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Hot dogs ?

I'm sorry.....

Pathetic pr**k.

How about I introduce to my dogs when they are "hot" on the hunt, and watch you soil yourself!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
RIP hope of a better life in doggy heaven. Really don't understand some people. Poor little things didn't stand a chance.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Sorry, didn't see the other one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here