Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Mullery Live!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I started going to the Goldstone regularly in 1986, so I only just caught the end of the Mullery (second) era. Over the years I've read all the books, seen all the TV clips, learnt the history.....but listening to him recounting it first hand brings it to life. He's an old fella now, but you sense that fire within him still, and it makes you understand why he (and that team) were so special.

Thanks ever so much for posting that up, I was captivated.

(can you get him on the Roar please [MENTION=2405]Fourteenth Eye[/MENTION] )

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Alan Mullery was always very special and if 20 yrs younger would be formidable now at the Albion. From my many years of watching the Albion his team of the late 70's was just brilliant and nothing since will ever beat it - however given time OG might have the chance.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I started going to the Goldstone regularly in 1986, so I only just caught the end of the Mullery (second) era. Over the years I've read all the books, seen all the TV clips, learnt the history.....but listening to him recounting it first hand brings it to life. He's an old fella now, but you sense that fire within him still, and it makes you understand why he (and that team) were so special.

Thanks ever so much for posting that up, I was captivated.

(can you get him on the Roar please [MENTION=2405]Fourteenth Eye[/MENTION] )

Hopefully soon.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Really interesting,but like the book I would have liked to have heard more about his legendary temper,and bust ups with players in the late 70's.
I once saw him knock Peter Ward out cold at Waterhall and have Sully by the throat in the tunnel at the Goldstone.
Once at home to Palace he told Sully to kick Vince Hilaire into row Z.
Not really Sullys game,but he tried his hardest to comply and Hilaire went off injured.
On an icy pitch at the Goldstone he had the studs of everybodys boots filed down to the nails to get grip on the pitch.
He has certainly mellowed,as he was a very aggressive man.Similar in many ways to Sir Alex.A bit of a bully who ruled very much by fear.
Still a great watch and the man is a true character and the best manager BHA have ever had.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Really interesting,but like the book I would have liked to have heard more about his legendary temper,and bust ups with players in the late 70's.
I once saw him knock Peter Ward out cold at Waterhall and have Sully by the throat in the tunnel at the Goldstone.
Once at home to Palace he told Sully to kick Vince Hilaire into row Z.
Not really Sullys game,but he tried his hardest to comply and Hilaire went off injured.
On an icy pitch at the Goldstone he had the studs of everybodys boots filed down to the nails to get grip on the pitch.
He has certainly mellowed,as he was a very aggressive man.Similar in many ways to Sir Alex.A bit of a bully who ruled very much by fear.
Still a great watch and the man is a true character and the best manager BHA have ever had.
The iconic you're not worth that photo is something I'd like to hear about. Lets face it Mullery was a big factor in why we have our rivalry with Palace.

Perhaps those more feisty moments are a bit uncomfortable for him to talk about.....but they would make for EPIC listening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here