Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and the club have lost me as a customer today

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'd like to book a round the world cruise but guess what, I can't afford it.
I can afford a season ticket in East Upper coz I've worked non fecking stop since 1973 - first week wages £10.00
I'd like to do a lot of things now I'm getting older but can't do a lot of them.
Who can I complain to :moo:

If you're going to the Watford game in August, I can do you a one off special price for a guided tour of this glorious town :wink:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
So, we're back to the old chestnut of defining "loyalty" in the context of supporting a sports club [been done before I'm sure]

Who's more loyal?
A supporter who goes to every home game but lives in Brighton, so has no issue with travel distance [cost] or travel time.
A supporter who lives some distance from Brighton, hundreds, perhaps thousands of miles - want's to be loyal but the distance makes this impractical. Expensive travel costs and time consumed.

Never going to find a solution that suits everyone ....

Trouble with awarding points to attendance means that if you can't get your nose in, with every passing week, the opportunities become less and less. Is there a view, in the interests of fair and share, where someone could say in April, "Hey, I'd like to watch Brighton at least once this season, can one of the regulars please step down and let someone else have a go?"

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Whilst I agree it is pricey it is hardly the club's fault and more the business of modern football that is to blame. Even tickets to National League South (what was the conference south) are at least £12 each. So it's pricey all the way down. Wished it was like Bundesliga where even top flight teams only charge about €15 for tickets.

I don't know if it's true, and it's probably not true for Brighton as it's our first season, but I keep hearing that PL clubs could charge nothing for tickets, gate receipt is a mere drop in the ocean compared to all the other money that floods in.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So, we're back to the old chestnut of defining "loyalty" in the context of supporting a sports club [been done before I'm sure]

Who's more loyal?
A supporter who goes to every home game but lives in Brighton, so has no issue with travel distance [cost] or travel time.
A supporter who lives some distance from Brighton, hundreds, perhaps thousands of miles - want's to be loyal but the distance makes this impractical. Expensive travel costs and time consumed.

Trouble with awarding points to attendance means that if you can't get your nose in, with every passing week, the opportunities become less and less. Is there a view, in the interests of fair and share, where someone could say in April, "Hey, I'd like to watch Brighton at least once this season, can one of the regulars please step down and let someone else have a go?"

Good point. Who is the loyal fan.
A fan for 35 years who in the past has been to hundreds of home and away games but for whatever reason cannot now go, or a Chelsea fan who lives in Brighton but just wants to watch PL football with his sons every home game and will cough up £££££ to do so and collect loyalty points.

£45 is lot of money. My ST in the east works out a lot less than that but that is my upper limit.

I gave up away matches a few years back as I just didn't have it to spare at the end of the month.

On non Albion days (as I've bored you many times) I support my local non league side which on a personal offers exceptional value. It may not offer the quality of league football but as a general day out and a beer with some great mates and a feeling of being part of something, it can't be beat

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Some West End shows charge £120 for a ticket. That's equivalent to 3 Premier League games at the Albion?

And I wouldn't pay that either, but I'm sure you realise the difference between paying a lot of money to attend a big one off event versus paying £45 every other week to go see the Albion :dunce:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I'll still consider myself a fan of the club, but I won't be taken for a mug.

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm not angry or even surprised by this announcement; I thought it was inevitable really. I've supported Brighton since I was pretty young, I've never seriously entertained supporting anybody else, I've been going to games home and away for years now. I'm no super-fan, there are many better but I would say I've been pretty dedicated to the cause.

I live in Bristol and have not long graduated from university so I don't have bundles of spare cash lying around, which means getting a season ticket is out of the question. For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible. I had, quite naturally hoped to carry on doing this for the forthcoming season but unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed.

The bottom line for me is that I refuse to potentially pay a minimum of £45 to watch a football match, ever. I don't care who it is against or when we might next play them again, I don't care whether or not it is 'reasonable' relative to what the London clubs charge. £45 for two hours when it is something that happens on most weekends of the year is not something I will accept. I won't attend the lower category games because I refuse to be implicit in this brazen price-gouging.

Looks as though I will be becoming one of those armchair fans I've derided for so long.

:shrug:

I live near Bristol and have ST. Commute to most home games by car and would gladly take you for a very modest contribution. Your total cost would then be less than before.

PM me if interested.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Who's more loyal?

So, should loyalty points factor in distance travelled? They could, surely?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, should loyalty points factor in distance travelled? They could, surely?

Little point. I imagine all of us know someone who lives a fair whack from Brighton who we could "live with" for the sake of such a scheme, should it exist.

And the club won't want to check 23,000 utility bills, or similar, to verify addresses and residency.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't know if it's true, and it's probably not true for Brighton as it's our first season, but I keep hearing that PL clubs could charge nothing for tickets, gate receipt is a mere drop in the ocean compared to all the other money that floods in.

Well, seeing as how it's true for 'PL clubs' and we're now a PL club, it probably counts for us also. Fast forward ten years down the line and everybody worldwide will be watching the EPL club of their choice on their personal handheld device and the few remaining local yokels who choose to attend games in person will be let in for free, or near as makes no difference, purely to provide a colourful backdrop to the globally broadcast action. IMHO, like.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm not angry or even surprised by this announcement; I thought it was inevitable really. I've supported Brighton since I was pretty young, I've never seriously entertained supporting anybody else, I've been going to games home and away for years now. I'm no super-fan, there are many better but I would say I've been pretty dedicated to the cause.

I live in Bristol and have not long graduated from university so I don't have bundles of spare cash lying around, which means getting a season ticket is out of the question. For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible. I had, quite naturally hoped to carry on doing this for the forthcoming season but unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed.

The bottom line for me is that I refuse to potentially pay a minimum of £45 to watch a football match, ever. I don't care who it is against or when we might next play them again, I don't care whether or not it is 'reasonable' relative to what the London clubs charge. £45 for two hours when it is something that happens on most weekends of the year is not something I will accept. I won't attend the lower category games because I refuse to be implicit in this brazen price-gouging.

Looks as though I will be becoming one of those armchair fans I've derided for so long.

I sort of feel, but that is modern football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
To be honest the money gained by bumping these tickets up has to be pretty marginal when compared to the sky money so not sure why the club is 'screwing over' fans is, I can't see it is good for the club long-term.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I paid up to £37 for non special tickets last season with their booking fee, for Championship football. The price of giving up my s/t. So the OP figure is no shock to me.

The shock to the OP might be that they used to receive an age/student concession, possibly?

Welcome to being an adult paying full whack for everything.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

People say this but at the end of the day 30 thousand seats at an average of £30 per ticket is still £900k per match so it may not be much compared to the TV rights but it is still huge money that would be greatly missed if we didn't charge.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People say this but at the end of the day 30 thousand seats at an average of £30 per ticket is still £900k per match so it may not be much compared to the TV rights but it is still huge money that would be greatly missed if we didn't charge.
Arsenal made more money from 3 home games than Sunderland did all last season.

I won't be paying that much for a ticket so not expecting to visit the amex this season,have decided to reconnect my sky sports with a 60% off i will be watching a few at home,

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here