Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sell off the BBC

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the BBC lost its true British identity years ago.
I know change is sometimes for the better, but even some traditions must be kept.
When I used to go and see Jools Hollands Later program at the Wood Lane centre, it used to be an experience going to the iconic building, queueing up taking in the surroundings.
But now going down to Westfield opposite, you see the old facade has virtually gone, being replaced by posh flats and an independent cinema.
Perhaps I'm getting older or just moody :wink:

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/p...-on-sale-at-iconic-white-city-hq-a100781.html

Most of the BBC has moved to Salford.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sign it? Will I bollox! Far too much has been flogged off cheap by previous Tory Governments, so no more thanks. In fact, it would be a better idea to start reversing failed privatisations, like the railways.

Whilst I'd LOVE to disagree with you :lolol: you're spot on.

And whoever said they are biased against Brexit . . . . . :wrong:

I can't think of a single privatised entity that couldn't have been made a success if it had been given freedom to operate. British Gas was a nationalised joke, in part because you had to buy all your appliances from British Gas (FFS) and wait for someone from British Gas to deliver and install, and the managers and the staff were all in the same union, and it was 'closed shop'. Nine ouit of ten things there were wrong, but flogging it all off was madness. If you recall, Maggie introduced privatisation to save taxpayer money that was being used sto subsidise failing industry, NOT ostensibly to allow the middle class to make a killing buying underpriced shares.

No, USE the BBC to make money while making quality telly, operating freely in the global market, with a charter to be independent of government and a public service. Simple.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Most of the BBC has moved to Salford.

That's truthfully why I don't watch the BBC news and breakfast shows any more as they are full of yakky northerners mangling the English language. BBC business bint on Breakfast has even been promoted from unintelligible business news to a place on the sofa!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hated by the left wing. Lamented by the right. Criticised by everyone.

For that reason I am happy to pay my license.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's truthfully why I don't watch the BBC news and breakfast shows any more as they are full of yakky northerners mangling the English language. BBC business bint on Breakfast has even been promoted from unintelligible business news to a place on the sofa!

Dan Walker is from Crawley, so moved to live in Sheffield when the BBC moved.
I like Steph and I believe our very own [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] also likes her.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Whoever you are knoboff - whats selling the BBC got to do with Brighton and Hove Albion for a start ? Biased against Brexit ? What a load of crap - Nigel Farage is still on the BBC everyday . As are all the liars and tossers he associated with . These self serving fools are not publicity shy . This nonsense about the BBC being lefty is spread by the Daily Mail and Paul Dacre - they want everyone to think the way they think not think for themselves .

Who would buy the BBC anyway you idiot ?

American hedge funds , pension funds etc - not very British.

HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WHAT A DISASTER IT WOULD BE FOR WHATS LEFT OF THIS COUNTRY ?

Still I dont suppose you ever listen to a play or classical music or watch a drama thats not called Eastenders - apologies if im wrong

I doubt it though - go get yourself a copy of the Daily express and relieve yourself in the toilet .

You absolute fool

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I like Steph and I believe our very own [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] also likes her.

Dan Walker is a limp wristed mummies boy.
The type that would have been useless at rugby at school.
Middlesbrough Steph has a chin like Desperate Dan and a figure like a toby jug.

I'd think about it IF they threw another element into the auction and made a dream package that would really attract an exciting buyer.

As well as getting the assets of the BBC, the lucky purchaser would take over the responsibilities of the Royal Family, including the right to be Head of State, owner of all the land and properties and a guarantee of complete control (including the right to pass on the role) for 500 years. And, of course, a right to veto any laws passed by parliament.

It would be a hell of a lot better than discovering that UKIP had "got our country back".

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I admire your tolerance of certain regional accents, but I just don't have it. I also can't listen to Sarah Cox when she sits in for Chris Evans.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Lets face it they are totally biased against Brexit.

You are having a laugh aren't you?

They've hardly come down on one side or the other.

If you mean that their entertainment content is biased, then I think you'll find that's a reflection of what luvvydom thinks.

It's no secret that the majority of people in entertainment wanted to remain.

BBC News did a good job of treating both arguments equally during the referendum. As a remainer I often found myself shouting at the TV. I'd imagine leavers did the same.

If things are a shambles now - which they are - then the Beeb is just reporting it as news.

Of course, we could sell off the BBC as the ill-judged OP post suggests. It could then be bought by a media mogul who could push an agenda fit to enrich their own agenda.

The BBC is a very necessary counter balance to the Murdoch's, Desmond's, Rothmere's and Barclay's - those staunch voices of the people, all born with a silver spoon in their mouths (Desmond excepted.) at least you and I own the BBC.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Pretty much agree with this. I do think there are biased reporters but by and large, it's as you say. Classic case in point is Jeremy Paxman who revealed after retiring from Newsnight that he's a Conservative supporter - I'm not sure anyone would have predicted that given his history of interviewing Tory ministers. If you want to look at TV media bias then Channel 4's Jon Snow shows his true colours far too often, in comparison.

Jon Snow doesn't have the same remit of impartiality as the BBC though so wouldn't be a fair comparison. It's like pointing out the Guardian is a bit bias.

I agree about the BBC though. Generally speaking they give a balanced view on things.

el punal

I think the BBC lost its true British identity years ago.
I know change is sometimes for the better, but even some traditions must be kept.
When I used to go and see Jools Hollands Later program at the Wood Lane centre, it used to be an experience going to the iconic building, queueing up taking in the surroundings.
But now going down to Westfield opposite, you see the old facade has virtually gone, being replaced by posh flats and an independent cinema.
Perhaps I'm getting older or just moody :wink:

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/p...-on-sale-at-iconic-white-city-hq-a100781.html

Much older, more moody, in fact, an old, miserable git just like me. Bring back the Old Grey Whistle Test with Whispering Bob!! :smokin:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
40p a day, FFS!

The Sun costs 40p.
Basic Sky TV package costs 70p a day
The Telegraph costs £1.60
The Grauniad costs £1.60
The Daily Mail costs 65p

You decide which is better value.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(