Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watches

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Rolex GMT. Never take it off. It's never missed a beat. Fantastic piece of machinery. And it's an heirloom.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just as a matter of interest, if you owned a Ferrari, would you have it serviced by a trained mechanic at the garage down the road, or have it done by the accredited Ferrari dealership?

If I was rich enough to own a Ferrari, I would probably just replace it with a new one if ever it broke down!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I have a Nautica bought in Istanbul 5 years ago for £70 still looks great in my opinion but with phones now showing the time date almost pointless having a watch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They want more control that's for sure but that is different matter altogether, by limiting supply they are putting watchmakers out of business unless they conform to Omega's rigid criteria and invest in set up costs. Omega thereby control the market and pricing for in house and their authorised independents much like Rolex do.
Omega and Rolex seek to do similar with Authorised dealers, rigid rules on discounting and selling, anyone that does not conform gets booted out. Moves to boutique outlets, all designed to give an aura of exclusivity and luxury but neverless a corporate move to monopolise the market and push out independents.

It's a posh watch, not a public utility. So what? This is what happens with high end products. I know a guy here who's missus is the art dealer for a reasonably famous German artist. They rigidly control not just the market but even who is allowed to buy his work. I also know a Berlin coffee brand which imposes rigid controls on who, and how, their coffee is sold. I can understand this especially when I heard about the disappointment the beats headphone brand had when they'd carefully cultivated their brand only for Ashley Cole to destroy all their work by sporting a pair in some Championship photos which went around the world.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
image.jpgA tag, right wrist and I take it off when I get home. Not a massive fan of dials and numbers so own this.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Omega speedmaster which is my day to day watch...love it. Timeless classic

Audemars piguet diver

Audemars piguet mid size royal oak which I'm looking to sell as I never wear it.

Louis Vuitton tambour.

Rolex datejust steel and gold

Recently borrowed mates ap bumblebee which was fun

Next purchase Rolex GMT master "batman"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A Casio digital watch that cost about £35. Classy, I know.

Need that for work as I have to write the time down constantly & I'm frankly appalling at working that out from a standard clock face, so it has to be digital. And it's cheap because it's likely to get bashed & scratched.

Am right handed, and wear it on the right wrist. So far, that's 132 posts on this thread, and only Acker & I wearing a watch on the right side.

You're all wrong'uns, you know that?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Omega of course restrict supply of parts. They will only supply parts to an independant, if they have an in store watchmaker, trained (by them) to work on Omega watches. Seems pretty sensible, and not at all unreasonable given that they are prepared to provide and fund training, and fund the watch-makers' school. Why on earth would you want your watch serviced by a self-taught or completely untrained person?

No. A turbillion or any other classic movement is a complex and beautiful piece of engineering. The complexity is deliberate - its a selling point. Its not to make it hard to service - though they are, of course.

Far worse time, in many, if not all cases. But to focus on that is to spectacularly miss the point. It would be like saying, "why buy a classic car, when you can get higher speed and better fuel economy from a new nissan micra?".

So basically the desirability is down to the complexity of the movement which serves no useful purpose and you can't see. Sort of like buying a fine bottle of wine and never drinking it.

Bit pointless if you ask me, but each to their own.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Am right handed, and wear it on the right wrist. So far, that's 132 posts on this thread, and only Acker & I wearing a watch on the right side.

You're all wrong'uns, you know that?

:wave: post #129

Edit: and I'm right handed....

Last edited:

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I like a classic (old-school?) look, and I have a Rotary Windsor watch very similar to this:-

View attachment 69950

It is worn on the left wrist and always taken off at night.

But this reminds me; my dad always wore a watch, but with the face on the INSIDE of his wrist. Just looking it up on google, it is suggested that soldiers did/do this to avoid the chance of reflection off the face giving away their position to the enemy. My dad fought at the end of the Second World War and so I wonder if it was a habit picked up from his army days?

Does anyone else wear the face on the inside?
Occasionally swap mine to right wrist but then wear it facing "in", whereas wear it facing "out" on the left wrist normally.
Rado DiaStar - a beautiful thing. Always take it off in the house.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Nobody considering one of these? http://www.wareable.com/android-wear/tag-heuer-android-wear-price-release-date-specs-958

Would like to see one in the flesh, sorely tempted though.

I originally skipped over this as not a fan of smart watches yet, but revisited the thread today for some reason and thought I would have a click - that is very clever and love the look of it, didnt realise its a Tag. Some really nice looking faces you use.

Problem for me though is that at £1100 its not much for a Tag but how long will it really last, I bought a F1 GMT earlier in the year as a gift for a birthday to myself and also as a close relative to me passed away so wanted to have a nice watch as a daily reminder. Now this watch I will keep but with a smart watch will I not want another in 12 months like I do phone?

oxymoron

NSC Patron
Feb 25, 2011
Had these little trinkets since 1985 wear
the watch all the time ,the ring for special occasion WP_20140817_002.jpg

Last edited:

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Seiko

Left wrist

Sentimental reasons

take off at bed/showers.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I originally skipped over this as not a fan of smart watches yet, but revisited the thread today for some reason and thought I would have a click - that is very clever and love the look of it, didnt realise its a Tag. Some really nice looking faces you use.

Problem for me though is that at £1100 its not much for a Tag but how long will it really last, I bought a F1 GMT earlier in the year as a gift for a birthday to myself and also as a close relative to me passed away so wanted to have a nice watch as a daily reminder. Now this watch I will keep but with a smart watch will I not want another in 12 months like I do phone?

yep, definitely a tricky question, I like the idea that you. Can convert it in future to a mechanical version, but you can bet that won't be cheap. Nice idea the watch as memorial by the way, like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here