Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watches

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
On left wrist but I only wear it if I've a train to catch.
Present a few years ago, I have to replace the battery annoyingly frequently; when battery low I revert to wind-up which is a bit tight because I was given it for my 10th birthday

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You are making an assumption I did not. I was talking about qualified watchmakers, Omega are restricting the supply, yes you can argue they are maintaining standards, but I believe that is being naive. It's more about controlling the market and fixing prices for service and making people use in house servicing. As I said before nearly all the watch brands apart from a few small independants along withRolex, Breitling and Seiko are owned by Richemont and Swatch groups. It's a cynical business practice advertised as standard setting by the large corporations, and is putting good, trained watchmakers out of business thereby eliminating choice and creating a monopoly market so they can fix prices.

You're wrong, and you're not listening. Omega / the Swatchgroup helped set up, and continue to support, the British School of Watchmaking, to ensure there are more trained watchmakers out there - for their own service centre, as well as independents. It was founded by a chap called Nick Towndrow, in 2004, who was at the time the Head of Service for the SwatchGroup in the UK. The want MORE accredited service options, not less.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
You're wrong, and you're not listening. Omega / the Swatchgroup helped set up, and continue to support, the British School of Watchmaking, to ensure there are more trained watchmakers out there - for their own service centre, as well as independents. It was founded by a chap called Nick Towndrow, in 2004, who was at the time the Head of Service for the SwatchGroup in the UK. The want MORE accredited service options, not less.
They want more control that's for sure but that is different matter altogether, by limiting supply they are putting watchmakers out of business unless they conform to Omega's rigid criteria and invest in set up costs. Omega thereby control the market and pricing for in house and their authorised independents much like Rolex do.
Omega and Rolex seek to do similar with Authorised dealers, rigid rules on discounting and selling, anyone that does not conform gets booted out. Moves to boutique outlets, all designed to give an aura of exclusivity and luxury but neverless a corporate move to monopolise the market and push out independents.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They want more that they control totally that's for sure but that is different matter altogether, by limiting supply they are putting watchmakers out of business unless they conform to Omega's rigid criteria and invest in set up costs. Omega thereby control the market and pricing for in house and their authorised independents much like Rolex do.
Omega and Rolex seek to do similar with Authorised dealers, rigid rules on discounting and selling, anyone that does not conform gets booted out. Moves to boutique outlets, all designed to give an aura of exclusivity and luxury but neverless a corporate move to monopolise the market and push out independents.

Yes, they do, and understandably so. A small independent shop, selling a dozen of your watches a year, and displaying them badly - in an unproffessional looking environment, or in a poor position in their window (next to cheap fashion watches for example) is no good whatsoever for a prestige brand.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Yes, they do, and understandably so. A small independent shop, selling a dozen of your watches a year, and displaying them badly - in an unproffessional looking environment, or in a poor position in their window (next to cheap fashion watches for example) is no good whatsoever for a prestige brand.

Poor argument as you well know, you as aware as me of the independent high class jewellers in towns that stock high end watches, no one is arguing they are sold alongside Fossil watches.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I just wonder if there is any other football club's forum that can have a 5 page on how you wear a watch ??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Poor argument as you well know, you as aware as me of the independent high class jewellers in towns that stock high end watches, no one is arguing they are sold alongside Fossil watches.

Its not a poor argument at all - its just an extreme example, to illustrate the thinking behind it.

If YOU were in charge of the retail side of a prestige watch brand, where would you rather your watches were available in a town - in five small shops, each displaying them differently and diluting your brand image , or one of your own boutiques and one major independent who agreed to devote prime window space for your pieces, and floor space for your current point of sale material?

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
I have no real interest in this thread as I haven't worn a watch for several years but one thing intrigues me.... has anyone said yes to wearing a watch in bed? that just seems like something no one would do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have no real interest in this thread as I haven't worn a watch for several years but one thing intrigues me.... has anyone said yes to wearing a watch in bed? that just seems like something no one would do.

A sex-worker might?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've got 2.

A Tag Heuer Aquaracer which is about 8 years old. Had 1 service and battery change in that time and very good reliable watch.

I also have a slightly smarter, but more discreet Breitling that is an Automatic. I alternate daily, and don't wear either in bed!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If I wake up in the middle of the night, I hate not being able to see what time it is.

At home, it's fine, as I have my antique Sony Clock-Radio close to hand but if we are away, without such niceties, I will wear my watch to BED.

You absolute FREAK.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I have 4 , None of them super expensive.

Left wrist, Off at bedtime.

Titanium Citizen Royal marines.
Nite MX10 - Bit small at 39mm but great lume from the tritium viles.
Seiko 5
Longines flagship - Only comes out with the suit and tie.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I have 4 , None of them super expensive.

Left wrist, Off at bedtime.

Titanium Citizen Royal marines.
Nite MX10 - Bit small at 39mm but great lume from the tritium viles.
Seiko 5
Longines flagship - Only comes out with the suit and tie.

OK, I'll say it.

You have one off your (left) wrist at bedtime?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Its not a poor argument at all - its just an extreme example, to illustrate the thinking behind it.

If YOU were in charge of the retail side of a prestige watch brand, where would you rather your watches were available in a town - in five small shops, each displaying them differently and diluting your brand image , or one of your own boutiques and one major independent who agreed to devote prime window space for your pieces, and floor space for your current point of sale material?

You are making up an argument that does not exist to further your own point. That's why it's stupid.
The point is about reducing independents, not in one town where there has/are always a finite number to make sure the product holds its exclusivity, but generally reducing independent shops overall.
Let's just agree to disagree.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You are making up an argument that does not exist to further your own point. That's why it's stupid.
The point is about reducing independents, not in one town where there has/are always a finite number to make sure the product holds its exclusivity, but generally reducing independent shops overall.
Let's just agree to disagree.

No I'm not. You are right that they are closing 'doors'. We disagree on the reasons for it. You think its just to reduce competition and increase their own market share. It isn't - if the swatchgroup was worried about competition (in selling its OWN products) then it could simply stop supplying ANYONE at all, and just open loads more boutiques.

The point is to protect the brand image by only having the stock sold / presented in the 'correct' manner - and yes 'exclusivity' does come into it.

It isn't only independent retailers that have had accounts stopped - also some fairly major chains.

Kuma

*dons shades*
Aug 22, 2015
Midlands
61LckcqzhCL._UX342_.jpg

Nixon watch for days were I don't have lab work. A childrens snap watch for when I do.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
No I'm not. You are right that they are closing 'doors'. We disagree on the reasons for it. You think its just to reduce competition and increase their own market share. It isn't - if the swatchgroup was worried about competition (in selling its OWN products) then it could simply stop supplying ANYONE at all, and just open loads more boutiques.

The point is to protect the brand image by only having the stock sold / presented in the 'correct' manner - and yes 'exclusivity' does come into it.

It isn't only independent retailers that have had accounts stopped - also some fairly major chains.

I think we agree on more than we disagree. I have not said its about increasing their market share and competition as in sales. They are just exercising a control over the point of sale just as Rolex has done for years, which in my view borders on a monopoly. It's easier if they have there own outlets, boutiques, and limit the independents. That's not about selling less but who sells it.
Rolex are well known for dictating to their dealers what they can sell, stock is often rationed on certain models, and they have to buy a certain level, wether they want it or not. In the past AD's used to off load slower selling models to the grey market now if they get caught doing this they are finished. Omega are trying this now. All a bit big brother for my liking.
It does not just apply to Omega they are all at it. Look at the prices rises across the board for all luxury watches, although Omega are up marketing to try and compete alongside Rolex.
Tag tried increasing prices but had to lower them, the only luxury' watch maker that could not get away with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here