Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton on season long loan to Bury

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good move for him, them and us. Hope it goes well and next season he is challenging here for the number 1 spot.

Obviously l hope he learns a lot from the experience too, but at 19, (still very young for a goalkeeper), I don't seem him vieing for the first team jersey for two, or maybe even three seasons yet.

He has plenty of time on his side, so let's nurture him, and let him take his time, before we even think about making him a first team regular.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wondered that. I saw AEA play for Bury at Accrington last year and he was exactly the same player who played for us at Withdean. Hard as nails and very effective in League Two.
However, his Wiki page says he's at Brizzle City. Meanwhile their website has no sign of him.

Where is AEA ?

He is a Bristol City player who fell out with Cotterill, so got sent out on loan to Bury, where he was a lot happier. He is still at Bristol for now.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
Nice words from Flitcroft on their site.

http://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/article/bury-capture-christian-2560437.aspx

Brighton & Hove Albion goalkeeper Christian Walton has completed a move to join Bury F.C. on a season-long loan.

The England Under 20s keeper has linked up with his new teammates, after they returned from their pre-season tour.

Shakers boss David Flitcroft said, “ We are delighted to secure the services of Christian for this season. He is someone we have been monitoring and tracking for a long time. Like any player we bring into the environment we have created we have done due diligence on Christian and have had incredibly positive feedback.

“The references we have had have been from outstanding well respected football people who have only been complimentary in the goalkeeping skills Christian possesses. He fits within the DNA profile of all the qualities we search for when recruiting a goalkeeper.

“Christian shows a great desire to keep the ball out of the net and maintains a strong presence within his area. He has superb agility and mobility and is extremely comfortable in possession of the ball when distributing from his hands or with his feet.

“The hunger he showed to join us and belief in what we are trying to achieve as a football club was something I was massively drawn to. Christian is desperate to eventually become Brighton’s number one and I am thankful he has joined us to be part of the vehicle which will endeavor to do that. He has a great desire to become the best he can possibly be and this is something I demand from all the players I work with

“The football philosophy and playing style at Brighton show similarities to ourselves and this will aid making his transition to us a smooth process. I would like to personally thank Chris Hughton, Nathan Jones, Ben Roberts and the staff of Brighton for making this move possible, as there was a lot of competition for his services. They all have a huge belief in Christian and we are delighted they have trusted us to work with him."

Walton, who joined Albion from Plymouth Argyle, was a regular on the bench for them last season and played four games for the first team, including his debut at Spurs in the League Cup.

He kept clean sheets against Wigan Athletic and Middlesbrough as well as representing England at Under 20’s level.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good move hopefully. I like David Flitcroft. Good manager & a decent man. I think he'll look after him well.

Could be a Jack Butland sort of scenario: was highly rated, went out on loan to a lower league club & came back with a reputation that got him close to the full England squad. Hasn't quite nailed down a first team place at his home club yet but that's largely down to the fact that Stoke had a top quality PL keeper in place already. Should get his chance this season if Begovic goes.

Good luck, Christian, looking forward to seeing you flourish at Bury.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bury had Jimmy McNulty playing for them last season as well, quality left back at that level, or centre back.

Walton will do really well for them, I'm disappointed not to see him being given the chance to be our #1 this season but the experience will benefit him. Like Joe Hart going on loan to Birmingham, and then being Man City's #1 the following season, and every season since.

Should get his chance this season if Begovic goes.

Begovic has signed for Chelsea, Butland is first choice for Stoke now at last.

Could be a Jack Butland sort of scenario: was highly rated, went out on loan to a lower league club & came back with a reputation that got him close to the full England squad. Hasn't quite nailed down a first team place at his home club yet but that's largely down to the fact that Stoke had a top quality PL keeper in place already. Should get his chance this season if Begovic goes.

As Begovic joined Chelsea last week, there's every chance it'll be Butland's year to step up at Stoke.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
According to a Bury fan KLOOT

Now that we're in league one, have Carrington, play good football etc etc., should we not be strengthening our links with Man C And Man U. Surely they have a decent under 21 keeper we could use. Plus a rapid right winger whilst we're at it?!

Many Brighton fans including myself wanting him to remain here and fight for the number one spot this season, yet so many Bury fans think they should be looking for better.???

http://www.gigglane.com/showthread.php/27090-New-keeper-in-!/page7

Ignorant fans, Just because we arent in the prem doesnt mean we do not have SOME talented players. I would imagine they would also turn there nose up at March and Rea if they were sent out on loan.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Obviously l hope he learns a lot from the experience too, but at 19, (still very young for a goalkeeper), I don't seem him vieing for the first team jersey for two, or maybe even three seasons yet.

He has plenty of time on his side, so let's nurture him, and let him take his time, before we even think about making him a first team regular.

I know what you mean, but from the players point of view I am sure he would want to be playing or challenging to play in the championship next season. It could be all to easy for another club to come in and make an offer of first team football that will turn his head - if the money is right. JFC, March and Ince have all had a run of games in the Championship at similar ages, I appreciate that goalkeeping is a different art and a lot can be said for experience in this position. Either way, lets hope he is the prospect we all hope he will be.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon Walton serves as an excellent benchmark for the club's ambitions, and one to be watched very carefully. He's patently a highly promising, assured keeper and a genuine One For The Future, and probably even One For The Present, judged on his impressive few first team outings to date. If the club sell him on to the first loadsamoney bidder with the usual mantra 'we wont stand in the way of a players ambitions to play at the highest level' then that will tell you all you need to know about the club's Academy i.e. that we remain a selling club. Though to be fair, if a young player wants away nowadays, his parent club is pretty powerless to stop him. Think its called the Raheem Sterling ruling. Which all the time we have an Academy will just make us a feeder club.

Modern football is toss.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Reckon Walton serves as an excellent benchmark for the club's ambitions, and one to be watched very carefully. He's patently a highly promising, assured keeper and a genuine One For The Future, and probably even One For The Present, judged on his impressive few first team outings to date. If the club sell him on to the first loadsamoney bidder with the usual mantra 'we wont stand in the way of a players ambitions to play at the highest level' then that will tell you all you need to know about the club's Academy i.e. that we remain a selling club. Though to be fair, if a young player wants away nowadays, his parent club is pretty powerless to stop him. Think its called the Raheem Sterling ruling. Which all the time we have an Academy will just make us a feeder club.

Modern football is toss.

Perhaps Plymouth felt the same when we swanned into their own academy a couple of years ago, gave them a couple of hundred grand for their promising young goalkeeper who is now worth considerably more.

Last edited:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
then that will tell you all you need to know about the club's Academy i.e. that we remain a selling club.

Is the term 'selling club' even useful?

There are perhaps 6 clubs of the 92 that aren't selling clubs.

Looking at all of Europe as a single market, maybe 18-20 out of 300.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I know what you mean, but from the players point of view I am sure he would want to be playing or challenging to play in the championship next season. It could be all to easy for another club to come in and make an offer of first team football that will turn his head - if the money is right. JFC, March and Ince have all had a run of games in the Championship at similar ages, I appreciate that goalkeeping is a different art and a lot can be said for experience in this position. Either way, lets hope he is the prospect we all hope he will be.

Amen to that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
According to a Bury fan KLOOT

Now that we're in league one, have Carrington, play good football etc etc., should we not be strengthening our links with Man C And Man U. Surely they have a decent under 21 keeper we could use. Plus a rapid right winger whilst we're at it?!

Many Brighton fans including myself wanting him to remain here and fight for the number one spot this season, yet so many Bury fans think they should be looking for better.???

http://www.gigglane.com/showthread.php/27090-New-keeper-in-!/page7

To be fair, that was one of a very small minority of knobhead comments on the Bury website - most were quite positive about the signing.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just read Flitcroft's comments to their local rag. Must've swallowed the dictionary and not bothered to check the words' meanings! What a total dick :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here