Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TB and the board

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It can only really be explained by not being able to retain managers recently and poor transfer activity.
If we can be stable in both management and squad (once CH has done his thing this summer), there is no reason why we cannot pick up again.

these were my thoughts ............................just hope you are right

Meanwhile until then !!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Why do we appear to be the only club that has suffered because of FFP and others with smaller crowds less Sky revenue for televised games etc have prospered.

Been baffling me for past couple of years.

Maybe you could e-mail your one sentence question to Barber and see how many paragraphs he takes not to give you the answer!

I think it's the one burning question that most fans would like answered...........but will it get answered? I doubt it.

The problem is that the club spends more then it earns. FFP has tightened the spending power the club has, add to that poor transfer dealings and we are left struggling. Now that slight changes are being made with FFP over the next few years, the board maybe in a position to add more money to the playing budget. It's not a quick fix, things started to go wrong before Gus left and our chickens have come home to roost this season. The manager needs time to build a team that can challenge for promotion, that will take time now, maybe a few seasons.

Why do we appear to be the only club that has suffered because of FFP and others with smaller crowds less Sky revenue for televised games etc have prospered.

I've highlighted what I believe to be the critical point; in my opinion FFP, whilst related, is actually a secondary issue, albeit it restricts how much additional funding can be provided in the way of loans, additional equity etc to cover any annual losses. I suggest you look the detailed stuff up for yourself in the company accounts; having previously run a business you should be familiar with the terminology. The latest holding company accounts (BHA Holdings Ltd) for 2013/14 are on the club website and show a loss in excess £10m; reading these should address your underlying questions I think. This loss is being covered by TB and the total he's covered in the first three years we've been at the Amex is over £32m; the cost of building the stadium and training ground are additional to this.
To get the annual accounts for the football club entity (BHAFC Ltd) you'll need to go to Companies House and these may show an even bigger annual loss as they will carry the rent payable on the Amex Stadium (£1.0m/pa) and the training ground, assuming the latter kicked-in last season; if it didn't then this will appear in the FC's 2014/15 accounts. BHAFC Ltd is the FL member and FFP is therefore applied to this entity (ie not the holding company); however, the annual accounts filed with Companies House and the FFP return/accounts are not the same thing. There is no public visibility of FFP returns (for any club).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've highlighted what I believe to be the critical point; in my opinion FFP, whilst related, is actually a secondary issue, albeit it restricts how much additional funding can be provided in the way of loans, additional equity etc to cover any annual losses. I suggest you look the detailed stuff up for yourself in the company accounts; having previously run a business you should be familiar with the terminology. The latest holding company accounts (BHA Holdings Ltd) for 2013/14 are on the club website and show a loss in excess £10m; reading these should address your underlying questions I think. This loss is being covered by TB and the total he's covered in the first three years we've been at the Amex is over £32m; the cost of building the stadium and training ground are additional to this.
To get the annual accounts for the football club entity (BHAFC Ltd) you'll need to go to Companies House and these may show an even bigger annual loss as they will carry the rent payable on the Amex Stadium (£1.0m/pa) and the training ground, assuming the latter kicked-in last season; if it didn't then this will appear in the FC's 2014/15 accounts. BHAFC Ltd is the FL member and FFP is therefore applied to this entity (ie not the holding company); however, the annual accounts filed with Companies House and the FFP return/accounts are not the same thing. There is no public visibility of FFP returns (for any club).

I accept what you are saying but does any owner of a football club expect to make a profit. NO as they always said about pubs you can make a small fortune in one but nowadays it costs a big fortune to make it.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
It can only really be explained by not being able to retain managers recently and poor transfer activity.
If we can be stable in both management and squad (once CH has done his thing this summer), there is no reason why we cannot pick up again.

Having the right manager is very important to. So lets hope we have that.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The attacking element of our team is limited.

That's why we are currently flirting with relegation. We have no pace, no creative players and no goal scorers.

It's **** all to do with the manager.

I may post this many many times in order to get my message across.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're not the only club that's suffered, we finished in the top 6 for the last 2 seasons, so a lot better than most. Our failure this season is not because of FFP, it's because of some poor decisions in the transfer market combined with a new manager who didn't work out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We're not the only club that's suffered, we finished in the top 6 for the last 2 seasons, so a lot better than most. Our failure this season is not because of FFP, it's because of some poor decisions in the transfer market combined with a new manager who didn't work out.[/QUOTE

Surely that comes back to being reluctant to spend money. As I said on another thread we were offered Stephens and Kermorgant for £1.4m and pulled out taking just Stephens for £650k Kermorgant went to Bournemoth the rest is history.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be honest, replacing Leo with COG and Baldock, and pocketing the rest of the 8 million fee, was never going to end well.

Simply put why can Bournemouth and Brentford prosper in the higher ECHELONS of the Championship with no parachute money, crowds 1/3 we get complying with FFP and we can't ?

Without taxing myself too much I'd suggest managerial/coaching/backroom stability, lower annual expenditure and other sources of income (eg player sales). The last two will be in their annual accounts at Companies House. However, as Brentford were only promoted last season, their FFP compliance (or not) won't be known until after December as a totally different system applies in Divs 1&2.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely that comes back to being reluctant to spend money. As I said on another thread we were offered Stephens and Kermorgant for £1.4m and pulled out taking just Stephens for £650k Kermorgant went to Bournemoth the rest is history.
Not taking Kermorgant for £750k is just a bad transfer decision, it's not the sole result of FFP. It's not like we haven't been prepared to spend more than that on players. Of course FFP (and how much TB is willing to throw at our club and its spectacularly ungrateful fans) has a bearing on how much we can spend, but it's not the reason we are 20th in the league.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I really hope that someone remembered to put a relegation clause in every single one of the player contracts. I don't want some over priced lazy good for nothing playing for my team in League One next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here