Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Schoolboy goalkeeping.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unless we luck out and the opportunity to sign some amazing keeper falls in our laps in the summer, there is no doubt that Stockdale will be first choice next season. Anyone suggesting otherwise is simply wrong. It's not going to be a position we look to strengthen (beyond, perhaps, a third new third choice keeper).

This depends on who is available free released from the Premier but I would agree we wont spend money signing another keeper.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You do have to admit, it wasn't put in the corner. Not even close to the corner.

You should really have to put it in the corner to score a freekick, or questions really need asking about the goal keeping.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hughton has a decision to make Tuesday, does he say enough is enough and bring in Walton or does he support DS and continue with him. I think he will play him rather than throw in a youngster and put pressure on him. Whether he sees him as No1 next season is a different matter and if so a vast improvement is needed pre season.

Given the lack of quality elsewhere in the team ..loans ending etc I doubt very much he sees us having a goalkeeping crisis

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Shocking bit of keeping. It was clear as hell from WSU North end that he'd left a massive gap on that side. And then to step to the side the wall is covering is indeed schoolboy...

He's made more major errors this season than Kusch did in his 2 years here without doubt. And we spent a million quid to get a worse keeper in - and yet there were people saying DS was better than TK on a thread a few weeks ago?! Wow. Just wow.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Unless we luck out and the opportunity to sign some amazing keeper falls in our laps in the summer, there is no doubt that Stockdale will be first choice next season. Anyone suggesting otherwise is simply wrong. It's not going to be a position we look to strengthen (beyond, perhaps, a third new third choice keeper).

I think that is true however he will cost us points, he is too inconsistent. At times great etc. anyway I am ok with him on goal for another year. I don't think we will be challenging and hopefully Walton gets a game or two on his journey to first team

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Hughton has a decision to make Tuesday, does he say enough is enough and bring in Walton or does he support DS and continue with him. I think he will play him rather than throw in a youngster and put pressure on him. Whether he sees him as No1 next season is a different matter and if so a vast improvement is needed pre season.

Unfortunately I don't even think Hughton sees it as a decision to make .

I remember when stockdale had a string of blunders and then saved a pen or something and hughton came out to say dropping him was never an option .

Based on that there is no way he will not play Tuesday .

I hope Walton can get some more game time somehow or at least do the business pre season . After all what's the point of having such a highly rated keeper if our current no 1 place is never under threat despite regularly making errors. Would like hughton to change his stance

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
All goalkeepers make great saves.I once saw a keeper on a Sunday morning at Stanmer Park make possibly the best save I have ever seen.
Unfortunately,he made six howlers and let in eleven goals.
Goalkeeping is about doing the basics right with occasional brilliance.
Stockdale IMHO doesn't fit that bill.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just seen MotD with the West Ham keeper doing pretty much the same. i was going to say this yesturday, its not an uncommon sight, keeper spends a minute lining up a wall then positions to cover the chance the ball goes right over the wall, at the expense of their far post. its either in the coaching or some deep phsycological fear that the wall will be beaten. funnily enough i recall everyone tearing lumps out of a keeper when the ball sailed over the wall, while he was so far the other side he couldnt get close. since you cant cover the whole goal and with the swerve players can put on a ball, i dont know why keepers try to hedge, it makes sence to simply surrender the top corner over the wall in the hope they arent accurate enough or the wall jumps high enough. in short, i dont think this is a reason to persecute Stockdale, though he's at fault, its not an unusual failing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
just seen MotD with the West Ham keeper doing pretty much the same. i was going to say this yesturday, its not an uncommon sight, keeper spends a minute lining up a wall then positions to cover the chance the ball goes right over the wall, at the expense of their far post. its either in the coaching or some deep phsycological fear that the wall will be beaten. funnily enough i recall everyone tearing lumps out of a keeper when the ball sailed over the wall, while he was so far the other side he couldnt get close. since you cant cover the whole goal and with the swerve players can put on a ball, i dont know why keepers try to hedge, it makes sence to simply surrender the top corner over the wall in the hope they arent accurate enough or the wall jumps high enough. in short, i dont think this is a reason to persecute Stockdale, though he's at fault, its not an unusual failing.

Look at the goal that Palace scored from a freekick against City last monday Hart was way over to one side....where did the ball go...yep u guessed the other

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I was going to post similar- Aaron Cresswell's goal was described as superb, and the goalkeeper was not even brought into the discussion - nobody suggested that he was at fault. The goal was basically a carbon copy of Kermogant's, but left-footed.

It seems a strange argument, that he sets up the wall to cover one side of the goal, and he should just cover the other half. Nine times out of ten the free kick is aimed OVER the wall, and goalkeepers have to scramble across to save it. We have seen this again and again.

It was natural for Stockdale to take a step to the left, and brilliant skill from Kermogant's to send him the wrong way. It reminded me of one or two that Beckham scored in the dim and distant past.

I have been disappointed with Stockdale many times this season, but not on this occasion. That was just a brilliant goal.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I was going to post similar- Aaron Cresswell's goal was described as superb, and the goalkeeper was not even brought into the discussion - nobody suggested that he was at fault. The goal was basically a carbon copy of Kermogant's, but left-footed.

It seems a strange argument, that he sets up the wall to cover one side of the goal, and he should just cover the other half. Nine times out of ten the free kick is aimed OVER the wall, and goalkeepers have to scramble across to save it. We have seen this again and again.

It was natural for Stockdale to take a step to the left, and brilliant skill from Kermogant's to send him the wrong way. It reminded me of one or two that Beckham scored in the dim and distant past.

I have been disappointed with Stockdale many times this season, but not on this occasion. That was just a brilliant goal.

Incorrect

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Thats the same point i was trying to make in my post above yours and Hart took no flack

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Many Stoke fans are blaming Begovic the same as many are blaming Stockdale

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Am I?

Well thank you for letting me know. Obviously, based on your authoritative rebuttal, I have now seen the error of my ways. Clearly you are right and I am 'incorrect'.

So, it was all Stockdale's fault.
Don't waste your breath. The thicko quotient always shoots up on here after a few bad results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here