[Music] The Live Music thread

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
In the bag
Sun Ra Arkestra
The Ex
Nick Cave
Oh Sees

Wainitng on further announcements for Love Supreme. Currently a little underwhelmed with the line up.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Steve Earle
Dome
17 July
Tix on sale from 10 tomorrow (9 Mar)

Jul 7, 2003
In no particular order I have tickets for
The Edge Of The Sea Festival
The Cure
Girl Ray
Oh Sees
Alabama 3
Sarah Records Evening
Ty Segall
Belle and Sebastian
Public Service Broadcasting
The Monochrome Set

Hope to get to see The Ex on recommendation and Preoccupations.
As it stands no Great Escape- will be first time in its existence that I have not been but the line up is getting progressivley less inspiring each year.

Not going to see HMHB in London?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As an aside I’ve befriended a tour manager and he is very familiar with The Great Escape and, from an artist point of view, he doesn’t rate it. He says it’s a total ball-ache to play at. He said it not managed well and a lot of the staff are volunteers who are well meaning but not very experienced and are run-into-the-ground by their hectic schedules.....day 3 and your working with zombies.

I can imagine just that. Rather than being a opportunity for new bands to play and be heard live I guess it’s main aim is to make as much money as is possible. Just like any other business. Shame as when it started this did not seem to be its intention. I might still go along- depends how much alternative free stuff there is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would make a great two day NSC festival line up. On the AMEX stage of course.

Saturday

Django Django
Metallica
Suuns
Rival Consols
Four Tet
Caverns of Antimatter
LCD Soundsystem
Deerhunter
Melt Festival
Oh Sees
Nils Frahm

Sunday

The Cure
Girl Ray
Oh Sees
Alabama 3
Sarah Records Evening
Ty Segall
Belle and Sebastian
Public Service Broadcasting
The Monochrome Set

Camping on the Amex pitch and Piglet pie fest.

Sounds good. Can we go Glasto and have a literary tent? We could have “Barber-Spoken Word” where he addresses just one, maybe two, items over the entire weekend?

Oh, I’m running the beer tent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, anyone into Deerhunter? I’d never heard their music until a friend put them my way a few weeks back.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have:
Ty Segall
Oh Sees
GNOD
Part Chimp
Nick Cave, Patti Smith, Courtney Barnett & St Vincent
Olafur Arnaulds

Considering getting tickets for End of the Road Festival too
Gutted to have missed Hookworms

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have:
Ty Segall
Oh Sees
GNOD
Part Chimp
Nick Cave, Patti Smith, Courtney Barnett & St Vincent
Olafur Arnaulds

Considering getting tickets for End of the Road Festival too
Gutted to have missed Hookworms

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on Cave. Whilst I still think he’s a theatre act, I was amazed how intimate he made his recent arena shows. The attentive audience played their part though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As an aside, anyone into Deerhunter? I’d never heard their music until a friend put them my way a few weeks back.

They were the best band in the world 2007-2009 (as well as Bradford's work as Atlas Sound and Lockett's as Lotus Plaza being exceptional.) That run of records Cryptograms- Fluorescent Grey- Microcastle- Weird Era- Rainwater Casette Exchange is as good as any band post-2000. Their live shows during this period were absolutely phenomenal (as well as at the Deerhunter ATP when they played Microcastle and Cryptograms in their entirety.)

They had a brief hiatus and haven't quite been the same band since, 'Halcyon Digest' was a good attempt to broaden their appeal and contains some career highlights, 'Monomania' felt like a deliberate attempt to halt their expanding profile and is a lot of fun, if a little throw-away. 'Fading Frontier' is bobbins. Looking at the setlists on this recent tour, I reckon they'll be brilliant.

This might be my favourite post 2000 'rock' song. It is my most played thing on Last FM by a mile and I don't think I've listened to it for 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpY6GdidIVg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh and their drummer Moses Archuleta released a wicked album last year under the name 'Moon Diagrams.' I have a hunch you'll like this Herr T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkOt4BiH1HI

Good work. I’ll give this a spin shortly. Thanks. I didn’t know where to start so I read up on their back catalogue and started with Monomania....in the absence of any knowledge the musique concrete reference jumped out and made my choice. I like it, messy with some dreamy bits. Then moved onto Frontier. Different, much more accessible but again like it. I’ll move backwards next. Seeing them live in June.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Good work. I’ll give this a spin shortly. Thanks. I didn’t know where to start so I read up on their back catalogue and started with Monomania....in the absence of any knowledge the musique concrete reference jumped out and made my choice. I like it, messy with some dreamy bits. Then moved onto Frontier. Different, much more accessible but again like it. I’ll move backwards next. Seeing them live in June.

Microcastle is astonishingly good. Proper 10/10 record.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Will be desperately trying to get Nine Inch Nails tickets for their show at the South Bank Centre in June. I may well be disappointed as it is their only UK date and in a 2,500 seater venue. Fingers crossed

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Will be desperately trying to get Nine Inch Nails tickets for their show at the South Bank Centre in June. I may well be disappointed as it is their only UK date and in a 2,500 seater venue. Fingers crossed

Any ideas how much those tickets are? I want to go to the MBV show but not for more than £35.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any ideas how much those tickets are? I want to go to the MBV show but not for more than £35.

It’s annoying that for most gigs the first you know about price is when you try to buy them. I remember the days when gig flyers and posters would ad advertise the price.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

I love Deerhunter. Halcyon Digest is an outstanding album and Helicopters is a the only song I know that terrifies me.

Bradford Cox’s back story is interesting and naturally is a massive influence on his work.

Hoping the C2 show will be much better than the All Saints show which was a disaster. I’m no sound engineer but Deerhunter in a big echoey church was never going to work!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here