Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Numerous reasons. off the top of my head:

• Because all of the parties policies at the last election were in the context of being in the EU.
  • Because a new, unelected (yes I realise we don't elect Prime Ministers in this country anyway) will be dealing with the biggest negotiation process in the Nation's history.
  • Because the last general election was heavily influenced by the demands for a referendum.
  • Because the referendum has shown that the British people DO care about politics and has highlighted the need for a more democratic system of representation.
  • Because the British public should have a say on how the exit from the EU is negotiated.
  • Because all other parties have demanded one.
  • Because the government, apparently, doesn't represent the people, being predominantly "remain" orientated.

To which I'd add, seeing as [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] is a staunch Tory, "because, currently, Labour couldn't beat an egg."

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We have a majority Tory government, elected a few months ago, for a fixed term 5 year parliament. Why should we have an election?

Well there are plenty of reasons why we should have an election but IF we have one is another matter.

This morning's events makes it less likely because if Leadsom had become leader then a small group of Tory MPs would have forced an election. I doubt if they'd kick the whips in the balls if May is there, making soothing noises. I can't imagine Theresa May offering to go to the country on the grounds that most of the Brexit leaders seem to have been stabbed, atomised or caught out in the fortnight since the referendum and therefore it would be reasonable to offer the people a chance to elect a team to take the country forward. Politics doesn't normally work like that, sadly.

:yawn: It's awful having workers rights protected and clean air to breath isn't it.
Clean Air?
The EU and it's disgraceful cave in to the German Car Lobby has resulted in us breathing in poisonous diesel fumes. The rest of the world was spending money on hybrid and electric whilst the Euro car industry was pumping us with dirty fumes.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How do you explain someone so critical of power systems and the lack of democracy (over the past 60 years or so) coming to the conclusion of there being 'no compelling argument for Brexit'?
Difficult. This particular 'expert's' argument appears to have disappeared up its own .... ! He will, no doubt, be delighted with the referendum, which is, after all, democracy in its purest form.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
no idea who this clown is but he has been mentioned twice now.
i understand he is an American

'no compelling argument for Brexit' eh
in that case ask him if he would be happy for USA to join The EU and hand over some law making powers to unelected officials in Brussels and also sign away supremacy of his supreme court.

let me know what he says

Are MEPs elected or unelected?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Numerous reasons. off the top of my head:

• Because all of the parties policies at the last election were in the context of being in the EU.
  • Because a new, unelected (yes I realise we don't elect Prime Ministers in this country anyway) will be dealing with the biggest negotiation process in the Nation's history.
  • Because the last general election was heavily influenced by the demands for a referendum.
  • Because the referendum has shown that the British people DO care about politics and has highlighted the need for a more democratic system of representation.
  • Because the British public should have a say on how the exit from the EU is negotiated.
  • Because all other parties have demanded one.
  • Because the government, apparently, doesn't represent the people, being predominantly "remain" orientated.

the referendum itself has address directly the question about EU membership, for all its shortcomings. how will a General Election, fought across all policy areas, address these points? are you assuming that the parties will either stand on opposing EU positions to the winner can take forward a fresh EU agenda, or form up on one side so as to invalidate the referendum? for my money the result of a GE tomorrow will be the same as today give or take a dozen or two seats, and the broad pro/anti-EU position of members and parties wouldn't have changed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are MEPs elected or unelected?

They are allocated by their political party - as far as I can remember, we just get to vote for the party; so the party decides who gets a place at the trough - so you could argue that technically the MEPs per se are not elected.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It was absolutely ludicrous and in essence ,because of it's reasons for being brought about, wholly undemocratic to hold a referendum. It would be no more ridiculous to hold a general election. The parliamentary landscape has changed dramatically and catastrophically overnight and the citizens of Britain deserve a say in what happens next. Or the government could reject Brexit and return Britain back to some semblance of sanity with a secure future.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One could reason that with Britain's new found "freedom" and "return to democracy" Brexiteers would have been welcoming with open arms a chance to test out their beloved "democracy" with an election to determine who leads us into this shining new era. Or do they maybe realise they ballsed this up with stubbornness and reluctance to examine facts and possible outcomes and are now applying that same stubbornness to cover up the fact they have plunged this country into a lake of yellow dog shit.

D

Deleted member 22389

Although a letter signed by 1000 lawyers which has recieved publicity today stating that primary legislation will be required which will require a vote by MPs.
Of course this may be a issue where there is minimal debate to reflect the referendum outcome but it does look as if legislation and a vote will be necessary

If MPs overturn the result you can expect a massive vote for UKIP in the next GE.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If MPs overturn the result you can expect a massive vote for UKIP in the next GE.

You lot have been saying that for years. What have you got instead, a spineless leader who bailed after rinsing you and every tax payer in Europe of hundreds of thousands while doing absolutely nothing to argue for the UK in the European Parliament except gobbing off at people who have done far more for the UK than he ever will , before running off like a child. That was your leader. Says it all.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would that be enough to get them any sort of power? I am not so sure, plus would people be that bothered to vote?

We all know GE turnouts are poor

Don't know - but the amount of public fury over politicians overturning a democratic decision made by the people might just surprise a few of them.

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
So you agree it's not 0.5%? I.e. that you were way off?

Favourable trading =\= trading.

ok,EU migration is around under a 1/2 to 1/3 of all migration
thats not 0.5% though is it

Yes ... it is 0.5% i have already explained this to another brexiter on here and he agreed.

EU immigration IS 0.5% of the population.... which is less than than the total percentage of immigration from outside of the EU which is more than EU migration. If i could draw a pie chat showing total immigration into the UK over half would be coloured for outside of EU immigration.

ffs u guys are thick

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
One could reason that with Britain's new found "freedom" and "return to democracy" Brexiteers would have been welcoming with open arms a chance to test out their beloved "democracy" with an election to determine who leads us into this shining new era. Or do they maybe realise they ballsed this up with stubbornness and reluctance to examine facts and possible outcomes and are now applying that same stubbornness to cover up the fact they have plunged this country into a lake of yellow dog shit.

The Tories were elected a few months ago on a manifesto that included a commitment to hold a referendum. They have held the referendum and now they are going to deliver on the result of the referendum. It all seems very democratic to me, particularly when compared with Labour's manifesto commitment to hold a referendum that they dropped once they were elected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here