Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IndyRef2...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Do she really expect that Scotland, if it votes for independence, will be able to remain in the EU on the same terms as the UK was on?

Scotland is not going to be a net contributor to the EU so why would they want them ?
They're not even a net contributor to the UK!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
According to the SNP's independence manifesto from the first referendum, having a Scottish grandparent will qualify you for a.Scottish passport but you'd have to apply. People that live in Scotland at the time of independence automatically qualify. I'm looking forward to my passport through my Scottish heritage!

Here's hoping!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Changing nationalities to suit a political view :lolol: You won't be missed, nor would Scotland. Financially they have nothing to offer the EU that the UK had/has.

I say we detonate the border and let them drift off into the North Sea. :thumbsup:

Can't say I care whether you'll miss me. I won't miss you either. But if I can remain a part of the EU I am happy to do whatever it takes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of the EU, and out of NATO - Scotland has no chance

Just look at Spain's views on not even recognising Kosovo, Scotland would have a WORSE deal being independent.

Project fear, don't believe the experts etc etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Presumably you'd also understand the English and Welsh voting for Brexit then as without Scotland and Northern Ireland, the vote would have been overwhelmingly in favour of leaving.

Yup, I totally understand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can I be the 1st to say if you want to go, **** off and take your share of the debt with you. No keeping the pound or anything that benefited you from being in the union.

I voted remain, vote was lost you cannot keep having votes until you get the answer you want. I'm sick of people wittering on about democracy and then ignoring it if it doesn't come up with the answer they want. If Scotland just want to cherry pick what they think suits them the best while ignoring the bits they don't then they are of no use to the union or indeed the EU.

You are hardly the first to come out with this hackneyed nonsense. Please don't flatter yourself.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Given Brexit and also the complete and utter shambles the Labour party is in this is likely to end ugly. Suspect we will be wishes good luck to a new EU country in a few years :wrong:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
You are hardly the first to come out with this hackneyed nonsense. Please don't flatter yourself.

Gosh the arrogance. I'm sorry if my opinion doesn't chime with yours and if Scotland want independence why should we bankroll it in any way? Its not hackneyed nonsense its opinion, mine and a number of others, if you don't like it I really don't give a monkey's

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Dad's a proper sweaty, Scots Guards etc, the full monty. But Eastbourne looks good to me still.

However, Brexit means the SNP are allowed one more go. IMHO.

Yes, as 60% of their electorate voted to remain it seems they should be allowed a fresh vote. 37% of the UK electorate voted to leave - not exactly a ringing endorsement over such an important decision.

Doesn't necessarily mean Indy ref 2 is certain to deliver what the SNP want, however.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Yes, as 60% of their electorate voted to remain it seems they should be allowed a fresh vote. 37% of the UK electorate voted to leave - not exactly a ringing endorsement over such an important decision.

Doesn't necessarily mean Indy ref 2 is certain to deliver what the SNP want, however.
Agreed. I wouldn't say last chance for the SNP, but the next vote (if required) after this one should be decades away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gosh the arrogance. I'm sorry if my opinion doesn't chime with yours and if Scotland want independence why should we bankroll it in any way? Its not hackneyed nonsense its opinion, mine and a number of others, if you don't like it I really don't give a monkey's

Nonsense we can debate. Hackneyed definitely; you are saying nothing new.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

incorrect, only 42% of the Scottish electorate voted to remain. and only 34.7% of the UK voted to remain, not exactly a ringing endorsement you'll agree.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Nonsense we can debate. Hackneyed definitely; you are saying nothing new.

So you think it's acceptable to have a referendum each time the country makes a decision your region doesn't agree with? It's two and a half years since the last one with all the uncertainty that caused and now they want another one? What next if they lose this one? Another if the Tories win the election? England knock them out of the world cup? This is going to go on and on until Jimmy Krankie gets the decision she wants. I'd like to see this come to pass now providing they accept all that should come with it. They can go back to the Groat or whatever their currency is going to be called. They should accept a proportion of the national debt as they contributed to it and accept that we may wish to erect trade barriers or anything else that we decide to do as a result rather than the last appeasement of offering additional powers etc. Self determination is fine, but it comes with responsibilities.

It was said several times during the last referendum including by me, but I think I'm the first to say it this time :lolol:g

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Why are you not comparing like with like figures? You quote 60% of scots voting to leave against 37% of the uk electorate. Using the correct figure (by the same measure as the one you quote for the uk) in Scotland results in just over 40% of the electorate voting for remain. Hardly a ringing endorsement...

larus

Just wait for his predictions of a Yes vote for independence then you know it's safe in he bag (for the No camp). He really comes across as someone who is so blinkered and just can't accept that other intelligent people have the audacity to have an alternate view of the EU to him. He can't accept that the EURO is failing and causing hardship for so many people. If it was the Tories in charge of something as horrendous as the EURO, he would be slagging it off continually, but because it chimes with his view of an EU superstate, he's closed off to any suggestion of its failings.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Now I just about got myself out of bed to vote remain.. just.

But you see why people get very very tired of the European Union. Scotland wants to stay, but are given the message "tis difficult" if they go about the process of trying to do so.

It is what it is, but I very often feel that that it was designed by Monty Python after they finished the House of Lords.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here