Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Stephens start on Saturday?

Should Dale Stephens start against Brentford on Saturday?

• Of course, Hughton said he's been good as gold & he's one of our best players

Votes: 220 89.1%
  • No chance, he might still be in a sulk & Hughton won't want to risk him getting stick from fans

Votes: 27 10.9%

• Total voters

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If he's been working his plums off in training and demonstrating a desire to compete, then I'd say yes he should start. If he's dragging his arse around then no. I trust Hughton to make the correct call.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The sooner him and Kayal are linked together again the better but I believe that CH may start him on the bench and bring him on about 65 mins then start them together against. Huddersfield. If he wants rotation he can do that at Burton.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Brentford, Huddersfield and Burton games in quick succession to rotate Norwood, Sidwell, Stephens and Kayal.

Stephens, Sidwell - Brentford
Norwood, Kayal - Huddersfield
Stephens, Kayal - Burton

I agree with most of this, as we have a spell of 7 games in roughly 3 weeks coming up, so everyone will get plenty of opportunities.
I would however start Stephens against Huddersfield as he seems a little more robust then Norwood, and perhaps more resilient to their gegenpressen style. Give Norwood a bit of protection at Burton and we could see him flourish.
Kayal, in my opinion, is the most important CM at our club.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Depends entirely how he's been in training. Presuming he hasn't stopped making the effort required he would be one of the first names on the team sheet. Couldn't really care less if he wants to be elsewhere.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Absolutely not. What sort of message does that send out to his team mates who've stood in for him whilst he's been doing his level best to leave! No he needs to play exceptionally well for the reserves and/or wait for an injury to the first choice picks. No player is bigger than the club, he has to wait his turn now.

I won't be booing him when he does eventually get some game time but this episode has left a sour taste.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brentford, Huddersfield and Burton games in quick succession to rotate Norwood, Sidwell, Stephens and Kayal.

Stephens, Kayal - Burton

I'd go:

Brentford. Stephens and Kayal
Huddersfield. Stephens and Kayal
Burton. Maybe change it up - Kayal and Stephens.

Sidwell and Norwood can play in the Reading cup game.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Stephens and Kayal are a killer combination. Unless it's clear from training that Dale's head is not right, or his heart's not in it, get those two back and functioning pronto. If not, Kayal + Norwood.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd start Kayal and Stephens. I think the reason we haven't started this season as well as we did last year is because they are yet to play together.
Agreed 100%

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'd start him alongside Kayal - they are demonstrably our strongest pairing. If his head isn't right Hughton can sub him off and bring Norwood on if needed.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Yes, he should start IMO.

Sidwell was crap at Newcastle, the sooner Kayal,and Stephens are playing together the better.
Totally agree. Kayal/Stephens partnership massive reason why we almost went up last year. We really need to win on Saturday so our best XI have to be selected. Stephens is better than Sidwell, therefore he has to be picked. The only excuse would be if he hasn't pulled his weight in training. Normally I'd agree that a player should win his place back, but Sidwell was a passenger against Newcastle and Norwood has not yet shown he should be on the team sheet areas of Stephens.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Stephens, Kayal - Burton
You wouldn't play our best midfield pairing against the runaway league leaders?

Voted yes in the poll myself, but may well have opted for 'bench' if it had been an option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here