Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Last one from me today.

Proper Ornaments - 'Foxhole' There's a hell of a back story to this project from James Hoare (Veronica Falls) and Max Oscarnold (Toy) and the result is a sound that has heavy Beatles, Pink Floyd, Elliott Smith influences and makes for a great uplifting yet melancholy sound. The album Foxhole is out this week and is well worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u80qi5F2qgY
This sounds v promising - I'm off to checkout some more tunes by The Proper Ornaments

Thanks

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Last one from me today.

Proper Ornaments - 'Foxhole' There's a hell of a back story to this project from James Hoare (Veronica Falls) and Max Oscarnold (Toy) and the result is a sound that has heavy Beatles, Pink Floyd, Elliott Smith influences and makes for a great uplifting yet melancholy sound. The album Foxhole is out this week and is well worth a listen.

Good grief this is incredible.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Timber Timbre sounded good on first listen. Like the brooding quality of it.

Thanks for both tips.

No worries and as Machiavelli has said, if you get a chance listen to their previous album Hot Dreams. I think I described it as Roy Orbison or Lloyd Cole singing Elvis Costello lyrics to Goldfrapp's first album and others have added a bit of Jim Reeves and all sorts in there. It's a hell of a sound.

Here's a couple of tracks from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M17euz4DuE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En1llevuLQ4

and if that is your thing then (and apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already knew) I'd seriously recommend David Lynch's Crazy Clown Time album and also Cry Baby, a Bristolian who sings Morrissey style songs but with a Roy Orbison-like voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDGUb2Vk08Q

As you can tell, I bloody love this kind of sound.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
No worries and as Machiavelli has said, if you get a chance listen to their previous album Hot Dreams. I think I described it as Roy Orbison or Lloyd Cole singing Elvis Costello lyrics to Goldfrapp's first album and others have added a bit of Jim Reeves and all sorts in there. It's a hell of a sound.
You certainly know how to sell a tune. You had me at Roy Orbison. :clap2:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Last one from me today.

I love this. Thanks for drawing it to my attention.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Last one from me today.

I'll give this a go. Thought their last album was about a six out of ten, but the standouts were worth hearing; hoping for some good highlights. Like most of my hipster NSC chums, I'm going to try to go vinyl-only this year. However, I'm finding it gives me all sort of quandaries - should I go for the super deluxe version at £34.99, the limited edition clear vinyl or normal or super heavy 180g? Can I be bothered to download the mp3 version? However, very happy to report that my dining room renovation is now complete, with shelving for my collection of 7", 10" and 12" records. Plus a new turntable. Life could not be smugger for me right now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll give this a go. Thought their last album was about a six out of ten, but the standouts were worth hearing; hoping for some good highlights. Like most of my hipster NSC chums, I'm going to try to go vinyl-only this year. However, I'm finding it gives me all sort of quandaries - should I go for the super deluxe version at £34.99, the limited edition clear vinyl or normal or super heavy 180g? Can I be bothered to download the mp3 version? However, very happy to report that my dining room renovation is now complete, with shelving for my collection of 7", 10" and 12" records. Plus a new turntable. Life could not be smugger for me right now.

I'm buying a new turntable and looking into vinyl and cd storage/shelving at this precise moment. Can I ask what you've done? I have looked around at various specific ready-made shelves but not found anything I really like. I had some bespoke shelves made and fitted in Hove which I really like so might have to go down this route again.

I'm around 50/50 vinyl/CD with my music buying at the moment.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm buying a new turntable and looking into vinyl and cd storage/shelving at this precise moment. Can I ask what you've done? I have looked around at various specific ready-made shelves but not found anything I really like. I had some bespoke shelves made and fitted in Hove which I really like so might have to go down this route again.

I'm around 50/50 vinyl/CD with my music buying at the moment.

I did the bespoke route - wanted snug fits for my records and the right proportion of shelving between the different sizes. It wasn't that expensive (MDF, which we painted), plus the room has alcoves in it so I was able to use all the space efficiently. I went for a turntable that included Bluetooth capabilities and, now that I have it, I'm not quite sure just what the advantage of having this is, apart from less cabling. Still, any old excuse to buy a new turntable...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did the bespoke route - wanted snug fits for my records and the right proportion of shelving between the different sizes. It wasn't that expensive (MDF, which we painted), plus the room has alcoves in it so I was able to use all the space efficiently. I went for a turntable that included Bluetooth capabilities and, now that I have it, I'm not quite sure just what the advantage of having this is, apart from less cabling. Still, any old excuse to buy a new turntable...

Thanks for this. We are moving into a new place and currently thinking about how our music collection will fit in and around us.

Call me weird but I like cabling :wink:

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Goldfrapp have just released the first track from their new album Silver Eye which is released on 31st March 2017

I like pretty much everything Goldfrapp have ever released so my expectations were high and, first impressions, it's a goodie. Harks back to Black Cherry/Supernature which is a good thing in my book

Alison Goldfrapp said in a press release:

We’ve never liked repeating ourselves. Often we react to things we’ve just done. We like the spontaneity of not knowing. It’s only through the process that we start to figure out what it is. The fans who have stuck with us are the ones who embrace that idea and are excited by the thought that they don’t know quite what to expect next.

Will Gregory added:

I think writing an album is like being lost in a wood. You’re trying to figure out an interesting path. You don’t know whether it’s going to be a dead end or somewhere interesting and you never know when to stop because around the corner some beautiful vista might open up.

What's your verdict?

PS sorry for the huge images - tried to get rid of them and only made it worse.

Attachments

• C22qQd9WgAE1dH8.jpg
    C22qQd9WgAE1dH8.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 51740ee0c27b0cf178f3d4c6e763c66e.jpg
    51740ee0c27b0cf178f3d4c6e763c66e.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Enjoying the Rose Elinor Dougall album - seen some lukewarm reviews, but it's very easy on the ear. AND available in clear vinyl edition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here