Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More TERRIBLE Pub closing news RIP Ranelagh

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes Albion now Laine Pub Co so expect generic craft beer re-furb. Exposed brick, timber, bit of chicken wire. Craft beer £6.50 a pint. The locals will have to revert to the seafield or George st spoons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope they keep the frontage. And the inside was nice as well.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My local was The Royal Oak, or as it is called now The Oak on St James Street.
The Ranelagh was my 'second' pub as it were because of it's proximity.
I had many a decent night there and saw some good acts, shame to see it go, sign of the times I suppose.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
He also turned up at the Half Brick in Worthing a few years ago when Buddy Whittington played there.

Wasn't Pete Way in some way associated with the Half Brick, I know he seemed to be a regular artist there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wasn't Pete Way in some way associated with the Half Brick, I know he seemed to be a regular artist there.

That's a name I've not heard in years. His work in UFO is well documented but I also loved Waysted. The Good, The Bad, The Waysted is a fantastic British rock record.

Last edited:

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Landlord ran away with the takings and lots of noise complaints about the live music from the new block of flats that were built next door As soon as the people moved in,, great pub with apmospher, so packed when you opened the Entrance door everyone fell out,,, closed Just before new year !;!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Have many happy memories of the Ranelagh, had way to many drunken days and night there, saw many good bands there (including Mr Moore twice), and also had the pleasure of playing there as part of Fourteenth Eye's birthday celebrations. Was never the same after Barry left, such a shame. I tend to go the Mucky Duck for my Kemptown pint these days.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That's a name I've not heard in years. His work in UFO is well documented but I also loved Waysted. The Good, The Bad, The Waysted is a fantastic British rock record.

I saw Fastway just before Christmas, Eddie is the only remaining member, long time collaborator of his, Toby Jepson was singing, Matt Eldridge was on the bass.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Good news the Ranelagh hope to be open again on the 3rd of February Friday!!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I hope they keep the frontage. And the inside was nice as well.

Apparently the inside has been completely gutted already..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apparently the inside has been completely gutted already..

This is bad news. I'm disappointed. The inside of that pub was quite special I thought.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Apparently the inside has been completely gutted already

Popped in there at the weekend. Looks much the same - certainly not gutted.
No Sunday afternoon music until March
Music Friday Saturday though
Under new management (unsurprisingly) and they seemed really cheerful and looking forward to it.
Delighted not to have lost The Ranelagh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here