Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made Alan Shearer such a successful forward?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm going to be contrarian here.

Undoubtedly a very very good striker. But he tended to dominate the teams he played in and was very much a big fish in a small pond. He never played for a top club and turned down big money to go to Newcastle where he was king bee and won diddly squat - even jacking in his England career. His most successful years were playing alongside another top striker in Sutton at Blackburn. I also got the impression that he had a lot of influence at Newcastle and towards the end of his time there it seemed the club couldn't do anything without asking him first.

Don't get me wrong - great player. But based on the above, there are others I would say were better.......

I agree wth this, smaller clubs tended to build their sides around him, saints, blackburn etc however he was worth it to the as he had a good strikers instincts For where the goal was and he made the good service count. You cant really blame him for being a bit egotistical given that format.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Never bullied off the ball as he was very strong.Not frightened of getting hurt,he drew opposition players out of position,leaving space to exploit.Still amazed he got away with some of his fouls,though!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A great all round striker, brilliant at turning a defender and getting a shot off. Good in the air had a reasonably good ability at free kicks and usually took penalties very well. In tough games playing lone striker he was also excellent at holding the ball up and bringing midfielders in to the game and also pretty good crosser of a ball if needed.
Played the game hard yet fair and would have been deserving of taking the England scoring record from Bobby Charlton and might have done it had he not retired form International Football a little early.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I agree wth this, smaller clubs tended to build their sides around him, saints, blackburn etc however he was worth it to the as he had a good strikers instincts For where the goal was and he made the good service count. You cant really blame him for being a bit egotistical given that format.

As I recall he said he gave up playing for England as he felt he wanted to concentrate what time he had left in the game playing for his club.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Good thread, we should do this more often.

For all his renowned shooting power and accuracy, I think my favourite of his is this lovely deft volley from his latter Toon days:

https://youtu.be/G5XCmMPmTUg

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Could score on the turn from 30 yards. Great in the air. One of the best I've ever seen at rolling a defender and getting his shot off quickly.

Your last sentence is key. Strikers score by taking shots. Shearer excelled at doing so early and often in unexpected positions and deserved the goal just for trying alone.

The modern way is to beat your man twice, sit the keeper down and then take the shot.

Murray has often struck me as similar/old fashioned in this regard. His goals against Villa and Preston where he turned the defender and beat the keeper at the near post reminded me of Shearer.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Your last sentence is key. Strikers score by taking shots. Shearer excelled at doing so early and often in unexpected positions and deserved the goal just for trying alone.

The modern way is to beat your man twice, sit the keeper down and then take the shot.

Murray has often struck me as similar/old fashioned in this regard. His goals against Villa and Preston where he turned the defender and beat the keeper at the near post reminded me of Shearer.

Shearer was also good in the air which is a big bonus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here