Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Linux and SSD help please.

D

Deleted member 22389

Thanks. This is what I've now done:

Right click on Music > open terminal > type in LS -LA

I then get........The program 'LS' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install sl

Not sure what to do next. Have I done something wrong so far? I rarely play around with terminal to be honest.

Correct go through the permissions route first and if that doesn't solve it, go for the other advice.

In the terminal you need to type ls -la (lowercase). You will then get the list of folders and their permissions.
Using LS-LA It thinks you are trying to execute a programme, hence why it it is asking you to install

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
So snapd will essentially mean that the google play music player will be installed and then made compatible with the Linux distro I'm using. Is that it in a nutshell?
Snap is a unniversal package manager*that allows you to download stuff like Google play music with all the correct files needed to run on Linux.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In the terminal you need to type ls -la (lowercase)
It thinks you are trying to execute a programme, hence why it it is asking you to install

You will then get a list of folders and their permissions.

Snap is a unniversal package manager*that allows you to download stuff like Google play music with all the correct files needed to run on Linux.

Cheers

Permission list is:

drwxr-xr-x

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It looks like the permissions are correct, please another user confirm?

So I assume...

d = directory
r = read
w = write
x = execute

Is that correct?

Quite what any of that means, and in this particular order, I don't know.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes it is. So we don't go round in circles, I would go for the snap option now. I don't know anything about snap packages so may be the other poster can help?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Are you using the root account or a normal user account? Some programs will not run with the root account for security reasons.

If it's the root account, create a new account.

If a user account try these steps in a terminal.

sudo apt install snapd

Let snap install then install the desktop player:

sudo snap install google-play-music-desktop-player

Followed all that and got the following...

error: snap "google-play-music-desktop-player" is not available on stable for
this architecture (i386) but exists on other architectures (amd64).

Any ideas?

Edit: Ooh, just realised. I downloaded the player whilst on Opera. Should I have been in Chromium instead, or doesn't it make a difference? It was the 32 bit Debian version btw, as I'm running Mint 32 bit.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Followed all that and got the following...

error: snap "google-play-music-desktop-player" is not available on stable for
this architecture (i386) but exists on other architectures (amd64).

Any ideas?

Edit: Ooh, just realised. I downloaded the player whilst on Opera. Should I have been in Chromium instead, or doesn't it make a difference? It was the 32 bit Debian version btw, as I'm running Mint 32 bit.

Download it from the terminal.

Open the terminal and type the command, do not download from a browsers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Download it from the terminal.

Open the terminal and type the command, do not download from a browsers.

Ok, just tried that and got exactly same result. :(

I meant to say, that's what I did the first time anyway. I downloaded from browser then typed the command in terminal rather than double click the download.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Ok, just tried that and got exactly same result. :(

I meant to say, that's what I did the first time anyway. I downloaded from browser then typed the command in terminal rather than double click the download.
Are you using root account or did you create a normal user account?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Are you using root account or did you create a normal user account?

Do you mean the account on my laptop? Admin I suppose as I have to type in my password before installing anything. Is this what you mean by root?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Do you mean the account on my laptop? Admin I suppose as I have to type in my password before installing anything. Is this what you mean by root?
Yea root is the admin account essentially.

Open up a terminal and where you see xxxxxx:~ is there a $ or # after it?

If it ends in a '$' you are running as a normal user. If it ends in a '#' you are running as root.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yea root is the admin account essentially.

Open up a terminal and where you see xxxxxx:~ is there a $ or # after it?

If it ends in a '$' you are running as a normal user. If it ends in a '#' you are running as root.

Thanks. $, so normal user then.

We seem to have exhausted all possible fixes so far. I wonder if google play music is just not playing ball with Linux at the mo? Searching for advice, like I said previously, throws up results from last year and older, nothing very current. Do you know of anyone currently using google play music on Linux without any issues?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Thanks. $, so normal user then.

We seem to have exhausted all possible fixes so far. I wonder if google play music is just not playing ball with Linux at the mo? Searching for advice, like I said previously, throws up results from last year and older, nothing very current. Do you know of anyone currently using google play music on Linux without any issues?
Nah don't know anyone using it unfortunately.

I just had a quick search and found this.

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/upload-music-to-google-music-on-linux/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

D

Deleted member 22389

Thanks for all your help. That's one of the links I downloaded from. Neither the 32 or 64 bit is working for me unfortunately.

Not sure I want to go all through another Linux install tbh when everything else on Mint is running nice for me.

Looks like it could be a wider issue with Linux. Love Linux but sometimes things don't get updated and this is the result. There is one last thing, when did you last upgrade mint?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How bizarre!

Just had a look on google play music app on my phone and the handful of ripped cds that I did the other night and failed to upload have now appeared! All except one, which strangely also wouldn't transfer manually to my phone. I'm wondering if manually transferring them to the phone has now uploaded them to play music. I think I have a learning curve on the google play music thing as much as I do on Linux.

Good point about when I last updated Linux btw. I did eventually update from Serena to Sarah but I've had a couple of level 4 and 5 updates that have sat there for the best part of a year as I only install everything up to level 3. Perhaps I should get those other updates installed.

Edit: Just deleted one of the cds from my phone's player as a test. Sure enough it also deleted from my play music. So play music is just mirroring my phones library, not uploading to it's cloud. :(

D

Deleted member 22389

How bizarre!

Just had a look on google play music app on my phone and the handful of ripped cds that I did the other night and failed to upload have now appeared! All except one, which strangely also wouldn't transfer manually to my phone. I'm wondering if manually transferring them to the phone has now uploaded them to play music. I think I have a learning curve on the google play music thing as much as I do on Linux.

Good point about when I last updated Linux btw. I did eventually update from Serena to Sarah but I've had a couple of level 4 and 5 updates that have sat there for the best part of a year as I only install everything up to level 3. Perhaps I should get those other updates installed.

Edit: Just deleted one of the cds from my phone's player as a test. Sure enough it also deleted from my play music. So play music is just mirroring my phones library, not uploading to it's cloud. :(

This is not a solution below, but there are other users experiencing the same issue. There is one user who experienced a delay.
https://www.reddit.com/r/googleplay...he_google_play_music_manager_stopped_working/

Think the next logical step is to do the update on Mint, and see if that makes any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here