Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Montoya

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Loan Schelotto to Europe for a season, then he can be back up next season when (surely) El capitano calls it a day

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I wouldn't be surprised if both went. But they can both play as wing backs if CH fancies trying out that formation again so could be either.

I reckon both will be off. We don't need three players in either position.

One of them has to go as this signing would put us over the limit of non HGP.

Both would be third choice in their respective positions so unlikely to get much game time. I'd be surprised if we binned them both off though unless we sign a fourth centre back. If we don't I guess Schelotto would be on the chopping block as both Bernardo and Balogun can apparently play there if needed while Bernardo can also play centre back so if he's co-opted as the fourth choice centre back then we'd likely want to keep Sutner as LB cover.

It's going to be interesting(provided we actually sign Montoya...)

Edit: Just seen that Montoya is two footed and can play left back so who knows!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
This is all jolly exciting, isn't it?

I love a dramatic transfer thread, especially when it's not the end of the world if we miss out.

If we do sign him who does it spell the end for? Schelotto or Sutner?

I could see Schelotto being the odd man out, Suttner could be retained as back up for Bong should we need to use Bernardo as a centre back.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...a-former-Barcelona-defender-turns-Fulham.html

Martin Montoya has opted to join Brighton and Hove Albion.

The 27-year-old Spanish full-back had been in talks with Fulham but Chris Hughton has persuaded him to move to the south coast and the Valencia defender is poised to sign this afternoon.

Montoya will compete with Ezequiel Schelotto and veteran Brighton captain Bruno Saltor for a play in Hughton's starting XI.

He has just enjoyed two years of regular football at Valencia having been on the fringes of the first-team at Barcelona for the early part of his career.

Montoya, now 27, made 67 appearances in five seasons at Barcelona, being used mostly as a back-up for Dani Alves before being loaned out to Inter and Real Betis.

Montoya will become Brighton's 10th signing of the summer.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...a-former-Barcelona-defender-turns-Fulham.html

Martin Montoya has opted to join Brighton and Hove Albion.

The 27-year-old Spanish full-back had been in talks with Fulham but Chris Hughton has persuaded him to move to the south coast and the Valencia defender is poised to sign this afternoon.

Montoya will compete with Ezequiel Schelotto and veteran Brighton captain Bruno Saltor for a play in Hughton's starting XI.

He has just enjoyed two years of regular football at Valencia having been on the fringes of the first-team at Barcelona for the early part of his career.

Montoya, now 27, made 67 appearances in five seasons at Barcelona, being used mostly as a back-up for Dani Alves before being loaned out to Inter and Real Betis.

Montoya will become Brighton's 10th signing of the summer.

Would bloody LOVE IT if we've hijacked someone else's deal for once......

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
If this happens, I'm really confused as to who loses their non-hgp place in the squad.

Don't we still need a 4th choice CB too?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes please, looks class.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes please on this one... Barca and Valencia on his CV... he must be good...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here