Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Have you forgotten this ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...photos-and-information-from-hire-1383814.html

THE IRA last night claimed responsibility for the bombs left on bicycles in two English seaside resorts at the weekend. In a statement to a Dublin radio station, the terrorist group said the attacks were to mark the 25th anniversary of British troops' arrival in Northern Ireland.

A device containing about 5lb of explosive was left in Brighton and one with about half that amount in Bognor Regis, police said yesterday. Both were hidden in panniers on the back of blue mountain bicycles.

news from Monday 15 August 1994 just in case anyone skim-reads it and panics.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Have you forgotten this ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...photos-and-information-from-hire-1383814.html

THE IRA last night claimed responsibility for the bombs left on bicycles in two English seaside resorts at the weekend. In a statement to a Dublin radio station, the terrorist group said the attacks were to mark the 25th anniversary of British troops' arrival in Northern Ireland.

A device containing about 5lb of explosive was left in Brighton and one with about half that amount in Bognor Regis, police said yesterday. Both were hidden in panniers on the back of blue mountain bicycles.

Been others in Sussex too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26171896

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/eastbourne-mp-murdered-25-years-ago-this-week-1-6872841

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
even for the fam

Yeah, for me, of all the accusations levelled at Duffy this week, the one about it being worse because he's a Brighton player is the weakest. That particular bomb would have been planted in whichever town or city happened to be hosting the Conservative Party conference that year, be it Brighton, Blackpool or Bournemouth. 1984 just happened to be our year to host. I've never viewed it, tragic though the consequences undoubtedly were, as an attack on Brighton. It was an attack on the Government of the time. Something like the Warrington bombing, perhaps, one might view differently.

" I've never viewed it, tragic " Not even for the the rescue workers exposed to deadly asbestos including the Brighton detective that died some years later ?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I presume there were Brighton based Staff working in the Grand that night.

Do you not think the IRA were trying to murder them as well, or would they have just been collateral damage ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah, for me, of all the accusations levelled at Duffy this week, the one about it being worse because he's a Brighton player is the weakest. That particular bomb would have been planted in whichever town or city happened to be hosting the Conservative Party conference that year, be it Brighton, Blackpool or Bournemouth. 1984 just happened to be our year to host. I've never viewed it, tragic though the consequences undoubtedly were, as an attack on Brighton. It was an attack on the Government of the time. Something like the Warrington bombing, perhaps, one might view differently.

Might surprise some but back in the day I was a Labour supporter working at Sussex Police HQ in Lewes, and I saw it very differently to you. At the time I hated Maggie with a passion (today less so but I still have some misgivings), but as much as I would not have minded seeing her reign come to an end with that bombing (wrongly with hindsight) I hated the fact that it was 1. The IRA, and 2. My town, my bloody town! That angered me sooo much. It should also be remembered that the IRA tried to bomb Brighton more than once, bicycle outside the Palace pier anyone?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I presume there were Brighton based Staff working in the Grand that night.

Do you not think the IRA were trying to murder them as well, or would they have just been collateral damage ?

There were. My next door neighbours - a gay couple - worked there in the bar/restaurant. I remember going off to work that morning and seeing them standing outside the front door in shock.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Granted that it was targeted squarely at the Tory government, but that doesn't remove the fact that it did happen in our city and it did have an effect on people who lived here - I know someone who was working at the hotel at the time who was deeply traumatised by the whole experience and has never really recovered from it.

My point was that Duffy should perhaps have considered where he is currently playing and the events of that day. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive about it but that's how I feel.

Might surprise some but back in the day I was a Labour supporter working at Sussex Police HQ in Lewes, and I saw it very differently to you. At the time I hated Maggie with a passion (today less so but I still have some misgivings), but as much as I would not have minded seeing her reign come to an end with that bombing (wrongly with hindsight) I hated the fact that it was 1. The IRA, and 2. My town, my bloody town! That angered me sooo much. It should also be remembered that the IRA tried to bomb Brighton more than once, bicycle outside the Palace pier anyone?

To randomly choose two posts to quote...

Yes, I was certainly traumatised by the experience of IRA bombs in the 80's and 90's, this was a dominant part of my youth, IRA bombs going off all over the place, the country at war. I was 10 when the Brighton bomb happened, woke me up in the middle of the night. I was 13 for Enniskillen, 18 when Warrington was bombed, 22 the Arndale centre in Manchester.

To think that now this is all a distant memory is testament to the work of the likes of McGuinness and Adams, and a debt of gratitude is no doubt owed to them. They didn't start the Troubles but they did finish them, and I have no doubt it needed someone high up in the organisation to make it work. The leaders of the peace movement couldn't have led their troops to lay down their arms if they weren't central to the war in the first place. If it wasn't McGuinness it would have had to have been someone else with blood on his hands, but would anyone have come forward? So to have no respect for what McGuinness did is to not want the peace that he brought.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Yes, I was certainly traumatised by the experience of IRA bombs in the 80's and 90's, this was a dominant part of my youth, IRA bombs going off all over the place, the country at war. I was 10 when the Brighton bomb happened, woke me up in the middle of the night. I was 13 for Enniskillen, 18 when Warrington was bombed, 22 the Arndale centre in Manchester.

To think that now this is all a distant memory is testament to the work of the likes of McGuinness and Adams, and a debt of gratitude is no doubt owed to them. They didn't start the Troubles but they did finish them, and I have no doubt it needed someone high up in the organisation to make it work. The leaders of the peace movement couldn't have led their troops to lay down their arms if they weren't central to the war in the first place. If it wasn't McGuinness it would have had to have been someone else with blood on his hands, but would anyone have come forward? So to have no respect for what McGuinness did is to not want the peace that he brought.

14 pages
and I have read them all this is so far the best post

as I have always said before
jaw,jaw not war,war

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Excellent post.

Re Duffy, at his age he will only have seen McGuiness as one of those instrumental in ending the bullets and making his home country a safer place - hence 'hero' to him. What McGuinness did in his earlier years is truly horrendous and I completely get why there are many that simply can't forgive and forget that (the constant threat of IRA action throughout my youth was menacing), and his motives for ultimately brokering peace (because they were maybe losing anyway ?) may be questionable, but it almost certainly wouldn't have happened without him. He also must have put himself at unimaginable personal risk throughout the peace process as well from those who were less keen on it.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Excellent post.

Re Duffy, at his age he will only have seen McGuiness as one of those instrumental in ending the bullets and making his home country a safer place - hence 'hero' to him. What McGuinness did in his earlier years is truly horrendous and I completely get why there are many that simply can't forgive and forget that (the constant threat of IRA action throughout my youth was menacing), and his motives for ultimately brokering peace (because they were maybe losing anyway ?) may be questionable, but it almost certainly wouldn't have happened without him. He also must have put himself at unimaginable personal risk throughout the peace process as well from those who were less keen on it.

Sorry but I just cannot agree with that.

Adams and McGuinness were senior members of the IRA War Council and must take great responsibility for the violence I remember so well in the 70s and 80s. I just cannot accept that just because they decided to stop killing people as it wasn't getting them anywhere, this makes them acceptable public figures now.

I agree it wouldn't have happened without him - but he was the one who was carrying it out in the first place......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Adams and McGuinness were senior members of the IRA War Council and must take great responsibility for the violence I remember so well in the 70s and 80s. I just cannot accept that just because they decided to stop killing people as it wasn't getting them anywhere, this makes them acceptable public figures now.

I agree it wouldn't have happened without him - but he was the one who was carrying it out in the first place......

What are you actually disagreeing with ?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Not only because it wasn't getting them anywhere, but because they knew the game was up and wanted to keep themselves out of prison for multiple murders. It's a shame they never faced justice for their vile crimes, but unfortunately we had to give as well as take for peace to happen. The fact they settled for the current status just shows how pointless their killing of innocents was.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Misunderstanding. I know you haven't. It was a reference to someone else who did, and received a lengthy ban from a mod as a consequence.

"Lengthy" is never going to be long enough for a complete and utter moron who wished a career-ending injury on one of our players. I hope the mods will extend "lengthy" to "forever" in these circumstances.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
One thing is now for sure,Duffy will never now captain the Albion,that would just be unacceptable after his Tweets,I imagine that one the dust has settled the club will hopefully sell him in the summer and recoup some of the transfer money we shelled out.
It's a shame as I was looking forward to seeing him lead the team out for many seasons,will not happen now.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Not only because it wasn't getting them anywhere, but because they knew the game was up and wanted to keep themselves out of prison for multiple murders. It's a shame they never faced justice for their vile crimes, but unfortunately we had to give as well as take for peace to happen. The fact they settled for the current status just shows how pointless their killing of innocents was.

Which sums it up IMO and is also why some people will never be happy that he didn't face justice.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Good luck to Shane - most of us Brighton fans with Irish blood know where he is coming from when he praised what his community overwhelmingly believes is a Mandela like peacemaking figure. I hope the majority of Brighton fans who have no Irish blood can show some empathy and understanding

Impressive ... you seem to think you speak for most Brighton fans with 'Irish blood' who believe a person who thought it acceptable to kill men,women, children in the name of a United Ireland against the wishes of the majority view both sides of the border is a Mandela clone.

Blimey look at all those those thumbs up ..soaked in blood :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This thread is quite horrible. Some people need to get a ****ing grip. I don't recall Duffy being voted in as MP for anywhere. Nor do I recall ever being interviewd for my tweets whe considered as captain of my tiddlywinks team. What a preciousl load of old bollocks there is on this thread.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
One thing is now for sure,Duffy will never now captain the Albion,that would just be unacceptable after his Tweets,I imagine that one the dust has settled the club will hopefully sell him in the summer and recoup some of the transfer money we shelled out.
It's a shame as I was looking forward to seeing him lead the team out for many seasons,will not happen now.

Utter nonsense. Already forgotten by all but a few and by the end of the season this will never be mentioned again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here