Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away pubs in Manc

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Surely no spoons can dwarf the Crosse Keys in the City of London?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's Wiki but...

"The Moon Under Water is a pub in Manchester city centre, in the building of the former Deansgate Picture House cinema on Deansgate.[1] The pub, which is 8,800 square feet (820 m2) and can hold 1,700 customers has been noted by the Guinness Book of Records as being the largest in Britain.[2] Other sources claim it is the largest in Europe.[citation needed]

It is owned by the pub chain Wetherspoons who opened it as a public house on 15 August 1995, and is named after George Orwell's essay, The Moon Under Water describing his ideal pub."

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
I'll make few suggestions for you in Manchester City Centre. Britons Protection near Bridgewater Hall is a great pub as is The City Arms. The Rising Sun just off Deansgate . Most will be full of United fans but fair enough. If you have some time beforehand go to the Northern Quarter and try the Abel Heywood. Fantastic pub. I wouldn't bother going to a pub near the ground. On the other hand, you could park in Media City and go to bars there, walk over the footbridge to OT.

Plus the Knott Bar if you jump off the tram at Deansgate Castlefield. And The Peveril of the Peak if Briton's Protection is too full.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Quite right! For the away trip to Burton last season I decided to do an Albion rocking pre-match congregation fest at the 'Spoons pub down from the station. Absolutely amazing, I was the ONLY customer at 12.30 (pm), there were 7 bar staff and about the same number of TV screens showing the Cardiff v Leeds game (I think!). I did notice the tumbleweed blowing down the street as well. Talking about feeling like Billy No-Mates. :cry:

Burton? The spoons is not near the station, it is a good 20 minutes. And they wouldn't have had the football!
Meanwhile all the fans were in the Last Heretic or Coopers or Devenshire Arms having a party. One of the best away days, official.

EDIT Biggest Spoons is in Ramsgate. The Velvet Coaster in Blackpool was the previous holder.

el punal

Burton? The spoons is not near the station, it is a good 20 minutes. And they wouldn't have had the football!
Meanwhile all the fans were in the Last Heretic or Coopers or Devenshire Arms having a party. One of the best away days, official.

EDIT Biggest Spoons is in Ramsgate. The Velvet Coaster in Blackpool was the previous holder.

Ok, let's correct that! It was a " 'Spoons-Lite", huge place and showing the footie on TV and it was empty. It is also on the road from the station into the town centre. Having said that Burton had loads of micro-breweries which I missed out on. Boo-hoo! You're right about the fantastic away day experience, it certainly was that.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
My stupid accountant of a mate sorted the trains, saving him money we roll into Manchester Piccadilly at 9am!
Where will we be congregating and are there any must see sights inbetween getting shitfaced?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

On the sightseeing front - Rylands library on Deansgate well worth a visit - the Christmas markets are on as well

Used to go to Shambles Square and Sinclairs (Old Wellington Inn) on most Albion excursions that involved going through Manchester. One of the oldest pubs in the country and a splendid location. So if you like a bit of history and getting trollied by 11.30 make a beeline.

View attachment 91413

I was gonna suggest Sinclair as it’s cheap, also just out of the picture on the bottom left corner of pic is another pub I don’t think I’ve ever been in it but next door to that is The Crown And Anchor and that does good grub and the local lager (can’t remember if it’s Lees or Holts)

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I am combining some of these suggestions. Manchester City Centre is small enough to walk through, so you don't have to get the tram. Come from the station up to Piccadilly Gardens where there is the Spoons and over the back is the Northern Quarter where there are some cafes for breakfast but more arty than greasy spoon (NQ is only waking up then, best to see that before the train home, if you have time as you know that the station is only a short walk away).
After breakfast walk, down Market Street - you see an eclectic mix of people. Beggars to wacky fashions, probably buskers and perhaps a protest. At the bottom veer right for more lubrication in Shambles, Sinclairs and some newer bars. (Shambles has been moved twice in its entirety, one of the timesdue to the IRA re-design of that end of Market Street).
Some real posh shops now around Selfridges (used to have bars inside there). Designer names - top up on yer Burberry?
Walk through St Annes Square (still posh) on to Deansgate and resume bar inspections.
Every step you take now, takes you closer to Old Trafford. Plenty of bus trams to take you there when you are ready.
Alternatively for those of you with younger ones, there are plenty of museums. For those of you around Salford Quays, there is Imperial War Museum (on the Old Trafford side). In Manchester city centre, there are several - Football, Science, Workers).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here