Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Remembrance Day Ypres and Muster Green

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My mother, bless her heart, still collects for the RL at 95 years old. She was an RAF Ambulance driver during the blitz. Very difficult to get her to go in a plane. She was approaching a burning Wellington in her ambulance to get the wounded when it blew up in front of her. Spent the rest of her working life as a nurse. God bless you mum.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1395...nts_during_Last_Post_at_Remembrance_ceremony/

Attachments

• 23472127_10154948492866720_3553772128443972766_n.jpg
    23472127_10154948492866720_3553772128443972766_n.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
She’s a hero Dave in Prague. I’m sure you are very proud of her but so are the rest of us mere strangers. The greatest generation. :)

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
My mother, bless her heart, still collects for the RL at 95 years old. She was an RAF Ambulance driver during the blitz. Very difficult to get her to go in a plane. She was approaching a burning Wellington in her ambulance to get the wounded when it blew up in front of her. Spent the rest of her working life as a nurse. God bless you mum.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1395...nts_during_Last_Post_at_Remembrance_ceremony/

Poignant and moving story - every reason to be proud of her. I have just returned from the ceremony here in Hastings and was struck by the members of the public, aged from 9 to 90, who placed little crosses at the memorial, wondering what sad stories were behind their devotion. Truly moving. And good to see so many families there with children.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Well done to your son mate.

Thank you. It went OK. Great support for Remembrance Sunday around today from those who attended a service or paid their respects in any way this morning - still strikes a chord in young and old, which is great to see. The cornet is lovely but creates a melancholy atmosphere, the silence seems to give you an age to think about where you are and what you are doing. Once it's over, you feel that maybe what we all have in common is more than what divides us. What I'm saying is a bit trite, but I always feel a bit more belief in humanity and community as we walk home. Wish that feeling lasted longer!

IMG_0590.JPG

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Superb that these services happen in little villages all over the UK, then again all these little villages will have lost loved ones.

Anyway shower time after digging the garden then get suited & booted for the 2.55 at St Mary's.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Thank you. It went OK. Great support for Remembrance Sunday around today from those who attended a service or paid their respects in any way this morning - still strikes a chord in young and old, which is great to see. The cornet is lovely but creates a melancholy atmosphere, the silence seems to give you an age to think about where you are and what you are doing. Once it's over, you feel that maybe what we all have in common is more than what divides us. What I'm saying is a bit trite, but I always feel a bit more belief in humanity and community as we walk home. Wish that feeling lasted longer!

Strange - as we stood in silence and I saw folk from all walks of life and all ages, I thought exactly the same. I don't think it is trite at all. But, as you say, it soon goes once you hear the news.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpgThe spot is the place Harry Patch wounded on the side of a road in Belgium.
His plaque is not brillant clear would be great to raise some money and improve it for a Sussex hero.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Just to let you know Storrington St. Mary's was standing room only.

Aside from the old boys - we had a Korean War Brigadier do the Kohima Epitaph - there was a young lad (reckon mid to late twenties) in the next couple of pews wearing a Medal.

We were taken out of Church row by row but I really should have held back & shook his hand. Hopefully see him next year.

MisterE

Nov 2, 2009
I going the first time to Ypres at this time of year tomorrow and on Sunday I will attending The parade on Sunday at Muster Green Haywards Heath. It seems a small thing to do in respect of all the men & women and horses that died or injured in two horrific wars.
Are you going to your local parade.

Also went to Ypres - wasn't it great - both morning and evening parades
Saw a Seagull great coat walking along at one time - maybe this was you

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is just a personal view and not intended as a slight on anybody but I think that for our last game pre Rememberance Sunday we should have had representatives of all of the armed forces present as well as RBL and I also think that we should have got a bugler from one to play Last Post rather than the Salvation Army as I say just a personal belief which oithers may not agree with.

Please if you disagree do not even suggest that this is anything against serving or past members of the armed forces.

I understand what you mean about the bugler, I disagree completely but as you say it's not really the time nor place to have an argument about it so happy to agree to disagree. I think though it's more than likely just a question of there being no-one available to play at that time. I'm not sure how many trumpeters are in the armed forces, there can't be that many and I daresay a lot would be unavailable because they are on active service and at this time of year with so many other events where people are paying their respects that demand far outweighs the numbers available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here