Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I love the way [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] demystifies the often confusing and complicated systems of charts, readings, and hardcore meteorology for us :)

No snow shown in the charts for the next 2 weeks down here. This week looks mild, often wet and breezy to windy at times.

D

Deleted member 22389

Honestly think apart from possibly a few frosty mornings we are not set up this year for snow. Will be the same as last year, wet and windy.
Snow at Christmas, nice idea, but I don't think there is any chance unless we have any forecasters who can tell me otherwise.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Honestly think apart from possibly a few frosty mornings we are not set up this year for snow. Will be the same as last year, wet and windy.
Snow at Christmas, nice idea, but I don't think there any chance unless we have any forecasters who can tell me otherwise.

Far far too early to say that - both GFS and ECMWF have been toying with increased pressure to the north of the UK and the polar vortex is still very fragmented, so there are good signs that things can and may switch to a more easterly or northerly flow down the line. Down here it's probably still too early to get anything properly cold and snowy, as the sun's still got some strength. Give it until December and then let's see how things are shaping up. We don't want to waste a perfect setup in November.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I suppose it could be possible it's similar to last year but already we're seeing completely different synoptics compared to last year. In fact this year compares favourably with 2009.

We have 3 teleconnections that are very interesting this year:

- SAI (Snow Advance Index) This is measured through October by check the snow gain below 60N over Eurasia. This year I think it was third only to 2009 and 1976. The more snow gain, the more chance of a huge Siberian Block which will help limit the Polar Vortex's strength.

- OPI (October Pressure Index) This is a relatively new index and still in it's infancy. Measures different pressures points around the Northern Hemisphere to check whether they're positive/negative per day ending with cumulative pressure anamoly at the end of October (my very simple and probably wrong summary!)
The hindcasts (checking this measure against previous years comes up with a correlation of 0.8 shows it might be onto something!) so with that mind, the final figure was -2.41, previous analogues shows that the AO will be negative for each winter month (supports high level blocking)

- Both of the above will affect the Stratosphere (the layer above the Troposphere - this is what our weather is in)

(read the opening post here to get an idea - https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81567-stratosphere-temperature-watch-20142015/page-1)

Current indications are that the Polar Vortex is really struggling to get going which means that there is an enhanced chance of us getting cold weather this winter, possibly from mid December onwards.

Plus other factors (weak el-nino, easterly QBO etc) all point to at least an average winter, possibly slightly colder than normal.

So I will be VERY surprised if we don't see snowfall this winter. Nothing like last year.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I had a meeting at Gatwick today with the Head of the Surface Transport team. She deals with all the snow clearing operations they have to have in place for the winter. We are in the process of building the potentially recruited temp staff to drive the ploughs and the grab lorries a welfare area. Her exact words on the weather and the predicted weather was..."never listen to anything you read in a paper....full of sh*t. Her up to date weather was that it will be mainly wet and windy till the en of the year, middle of Jan and then there is a possibility of a sustained period of colder weather which could bring snow". They had no plans prior to Xmas to recruit the temp staff.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had a meeting at Gatwick today with the Head of the Surface Transport team. She deals with all the snow clearing operations they have to have in place for the winter. We are in the process of building the potentially recruited temp staff to drive the ploughs and the grab lorries a welfare area. Her exact words on the weather and the predicted weather was..."never listen to anything you read in a paper....full of sh*t. Her up to date weather was that it will be mainly wet and windy till the en of the year, middle of Jan and then there is a possibility of a sustained period of colder weather which could bring snow". They had no plans prior to Xmas to recruit the temp staff.

True about the tabloids, but would any true scientist claim to accurately forecast our weather pattern beyond the next 2 weeks? The data she had up to the end of year is either nonsense, or some business has been paid to state the obvious that Southern England will be mild, windy and wet (i.e. the usual).

Flex Your Head

Met Office; said:
UK Outlook for Tuesday 25 Nov 2014 to Tuesday 9 Dec 2014:

It is most likely thought that a westerly flow will prevail bringing a period of unsettled weather to the UK through the end of November, continuing into December. It is possible that rainfall amounts will be little above average for the time of year, more especially for west or northwestern parts of the UK. In line with this unsettled weather it also looks likely that temperatures will be near or slightly above average. However, some brighter days are still possible at times and there is still a chance of patchy overnight frost and fog during any of these quieter spells of weather.

Tsk!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Remember last year? The Express continually and cynically exploit fears people have about the weather. Last October they confidently predicted the coldest November ever and then in December (after the mildest autumn in memory) they predicted 100 days of snow. They are absolutely ridiculous in their claims but continue as it sells papers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...cause-months-of-heavy-snow-in-uk-9855584.html

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So Madden decides to use the OPI and SAI indexes to peddle these lies! Great, so if these actually work out Madden can claim he was right all along! Grrrrr

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So Madden decides to use the OPI and SAI indexes to peddle these lies! Great, so if these actually work out Madden can claim he was right all along! Grrrrr

I think you mean "Brrrr" because it's going to be so FRICKIN cold.

Flex Your Head

Flex Your Head

Depressing reading from the Times;

AS BRITAIN reels from the onslaught of the first winterstorms and floods, the Met Office has warned we could face one of the wettest winters in more than 30 years.

Its research suggests that conditions are right for the north Atlantic to deliver a succession of powerful weather systems similar to those that brought last year’s disastrous storms and floods.

Its three-month outlook, covering the period from today to January, warns that sea temperatures, wind speeds and pressure gradients on the western side of the north Atlantic could produce one of the wettest winters since 1981.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Depressing reading from the Times;

AS BRITAIN reels from the onslaught of the first winterstorms and floods, the Met Office has warned we could face one of the wettest winters in more than 30 years.

Its research suggests that conditions are right for the north Atlantic to deliver a succession of powerful weather systems similar to those that brought last year’s disastrous storms and floods.

Its three-month outlook, covering the period from today to January, warns that sea temperatures, wind speeds and pressure gradients on the western side of the north Atlantic could produce one of the wettest winters since 1981.

Doesn't wet and cold though make snow? :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here