Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Running my first half marathon at Brighton on Sunday - looking for some tapering advice from the experienced runners on here.
Have run four or five 20k runs on recent Sundays, mainly at comfortable pace, although I've added a few bursts of race pace into some of them. Have run two or three times per week between the long runs - mixture of fast runs, hills, intervals and a few parkruns. Yesterday dropped down to a 10k steady run, instead of my usual longer Sunday run.
Resting today.
My question is - what should I do for the rest of the week to put myself in the best condition for 9 am Sunday?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Running my first half marathon at Brighton on Sunday - looking for some tapering advice from the experienced runners on here.
Have run four or five 20k runs on recent Sundays, mainly at comfortable pace, although I've added a few bursts of race pace into some of them. Have run two or three times per week between the long runs - mixture of fast runs, hills, intervals and a few parkruns. Yesterday dropped down to a 10k steady run, instead of my usual longer Sunday run.
Resting today.
My question is - what should I do for the rest of the week to put myself in the best condition for 9 am Sunday?

I'd take it really easy, no running is going to improve you from here and you've already shown you can make the distance,
Focus on plenty of rest and hydration, maybe a massage if you like that sort of thing. A gentle 2 mile jog on Thursday or Friday just to remember your rhythm and run off any nerves.
The other thing is get all your kit ready in advance so you're not panicking on Saturday night or Sunday morning when you realise your watch battery is flat/ your favourite socks are in the wash/ you have nt got any safety pins/you don't know where the start is.

Good luck, go out and enjoy the occasion!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agree with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION]. Have a relaxing week. No massage after tomorrow I think (?). A resounding win early Saturday evening and you'll run like a rocket.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Agree with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION]. Have a relaxing week. No massage after tomorrow I think (?). A resounding win early Saturday evening and you'll run like a rocket.

Thanks chaps [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. All good advice - I'll book a sports massage after a short run tomorrow, and then just have a gentle jog on Thursday and that's it. My only fear is that if we have a good win on Saturday I'll be tempted to over-celebrate which will not help my Sunday performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Under 1.30 for 11;5 miles and a 20:40 parkrun? You'll absolutely SMASH 1.40 in Bath. I ran 1.39 in Worthing last year and my times were nowhere near yours. Sticking with a pacer (if there is one) helped me – you might want to consider that...

Yeah I've been quite surprised but feeling really fit at the moment so want to set the bar further and further. Heard Bath is a good PB course so will hopefully push it and get a really good time.
Good idea on the pacer, haven't really considered it. Assume there is usually a 1.30 and a 1.45'er though..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah I've been quite surprised but feeling really fit at the moment so want to set the bar further and further. Heard Bath is a good PB course so will hopefully push it and get a really good time.
Good idea on the pacer, haven't really considered it. Assume there is usually a 1.30 and a 1.45'er though..

Not sure what they'll be, but I think there's a good chance there'd be one between 1:30 and 1:45. Trying to remember, but I think they were split by 10 minutes at Worthing Half and certainly that was the case for Bright10.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
We're definitely getting into the spring running season now folks! Got my race pack for the Surrey Half yesterday, so I'll be into the taper next week (and have ordered a new watch as my current one has become unreliable).

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
So who's IN for Sunday.

I am, not trained particularly well due to bouts of illness and injury since Christmas but looking forward to it nonetheless. I've never done Brighton Half before, in fact I think it's the first time I've done a half that is reasonnably flat so will interesting to see how it goes. Looks like it's going to be a bit breezy but thankfully not Doris like.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So who's IN for Sunday.

I am, not trained particularly well due to bouts of illness and injury since Christmas but looking forward to it nonetheless. I've never done Brighton Half before, in fact I think it's the first time I've done a half that is reasonnably flat so will interesting to see how it goes. Looks like it's going to be a bit breezy but thankfully not Doris like.

Enjoy the run and any other entrants enjoy it too. I'll be funnel marshalling at Hove Parkrun tomorrow.
Up to 30 for the [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION]challenge. Stomach really feeling the benefits.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
So who's IN for Sunday.

Have a great time. Wish I'd remembered to enter before it sold out.

Once you've got over the climb in the first bit it's an absolute joy. Atmosphere and the people are brilliant.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Hopefully will be doing the Brighton half on Sunday. But have been doing loads of driving with work this week and my right hamstring has tightened up. Struggling to walk and concerned for Sunday.

Any advice on tight hamstrings?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So who's IN for Sunday.

Not me, but good luck to all. It's a decent race – uses quite a few bits that are on the marathon course, which means LONG straights, but I'm sure once you get into your groove you'll be fine. I'll be out early doors and then to football with Jnr Challen – steering clear of the seafront!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Might be the wrong place to put it, but I'm flogging my Garmin Fenix 3 HR Sapphire as I don't use 9/10ths of the features! Anyone here interested?

Sorry for the huge image! Can't figure out how to remove it :/

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 177

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
So who's IN for Sunday.

I am IN for Sunday. Quite looking forward to it. Did HM distance on Sunday in 2.08 running from Ardingly College to Uckfield on a fairly hilly route. Will start off next to the 2 hour pacers and hope to push on for 1.57/1.58 (want a PB so need under 1.58.11). I dont mind if it rains on Sunday, I just dont want it to be too windy! Glad Dori has come and gone!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Also looking forward to Sunday. It'll be my first half marathon, having pulled out of last year's with stress fracture a couple of weeks before the race. Have not run since Tuesday, and have got slightly achey quads, otherwise all ready to go. Will be aiming to finish under 2 hours, with anything else a bonus. Not too worried about the wind, current forecast is showing wind and gusts from W and SW, so should be helpful in the last stretch from Hove Lagoon to the finish.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Yep doing the Half marathon, second time for brighton and will be wearing an Albion top , want to do a pb just hope the conditions will allow. Good luck to all :ascarf:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Enjoy the run and any other entrants enjoy it too. I'll be funnel marshalling at Hove Parkrun tomorrow.
Up to 30 for the [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION]challenge. Stomach really feeling the benefits.

Good stuff. (My shoulder is crocked.) Back to parkrun for first time in weeks tomorrow.
Good luck to all the Brighton runners on Sunday. I did about 4 miles on Doris Day along the seafront; it occurred to me that a half marathon in those conditions would be hell. Hope Sunday isn't anything like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here