Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
After my Brighton Marathon thrashing by you this year (Jesus said you enjoyed telling him) I am hoping that we both get going soon. I need to finish a marathon 1 second faster than you next year.

3.59.59 will do me after last year :lolol:

Good luck [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] today

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
That actually is interesting - or at least a bloody good effort. Top work. Have you been doing anything different training-wise ?

Thanks sir. I guess I have marginally less self-destructive eating and drinking habits these days and train more consistently.

Thinking it no more than a fanciful someday, I always thought if I ever got sub-20 I'd either retire or turn Parkrun into a series of bizarre challenges, e.g. do a shot/eat a handful of crisps every 500 metres, run it dressed as a large marauding bear etc etc. Will probably just get fat and complacent.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Had a great day down in Portsmouth today ( I don't usually say that after trips to Fratton Park!). As posted before I have been trying to up the tempo for these "shorter" runs. Today I set myself a target of 1 hour 30 minutes which would have been 9 minute miles, my chip time was 1.27.48 so chuffed to bits with that. It comes in at 8.42 a mile.

https://www.strava.com/activities/753776206

Knackered now after a gig in Shoreham on Friday night (The Men They Couldnt Hang played at John Baines 59th birthday bash), Wigan yesterday and up at 5.30am this morning!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had a great day down in Portsmouth today ( I don't usually say that after trips to Fratton Park!). As posted before I have been trying to up the tempo for these "shorter" runs. Today I set myself a target of 1 hour 30 minutes which would have been 9 minute miles, my chip time was 1.27.48 so chuffed to bits with that. It comes in at 8.42 a mile.

Knackered now after a gig in Shoreham on Friday night (The Men They Couldnt Hang played at John Baines 59th birthday bash), Wigan yesterday and up at 5.30am this morning!

Excellent work Sir! Well done!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Blimey that's quite a weekend! Great run - well done.

Last bit of Beachy Head marathon prep for me this morning up the riverbank and on the SDW (headtorch cane in handy at 6:15am!). Really good 13.2 miles and I now feel ready for what lies ahead next Saturday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How bizarre is this....

This morning
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] runs Preston Park park run in 22:18 [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s teacher runs Bognor park run in 22:18
I ran Hove Park park run in, you guessed it .....22:18!

We must be the most synchronised thread on NSC!!!!

I'm afraid I'm gonna throw a spanner in the works. My 22:18 was my watch time – official was actually 22.29 (that stop-start function when you aren't moving kicks in a bit too keenly for my liking...).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Spoil sport (and slow coach) !

It was an odd one, because I was running with the 24 min pacer –*a mate of mine – but another mate and I edged ahead and made the decision to hunt down the 23 guy. Then we dropped him along the straight and 'sprinted' up the hill to the finish. So I was actually 90 seconds AHEAD of myself!

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
Anybody doing Beachyhead Marahon Saturday?

It will be my 3rd Marathon after the last two Brighton Marathon's.

I have not trained nearly enough for this, so am going to treat it as a bit of fun and am going to run walk it.

It has a 9 hour cut off so hopefully will get my medal !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I have not trained nearly enough for this, so am going to treat it as a bit of fun and am going to run walk it.

Not this year, would never make it back in time for kick off :lolol:

That's a good plan for Beachy anyway - treat it as a jog/walk day out and enjoy it. I've done in a little over 4 hours, and close to 6 - the latter was a lot more fun.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Me. Can't wait!

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove

Well done. I managed the Great South Run in 1 hour 53 minutes... my first proper run in 18 months with only three weeks training, so I'm happy. The weather was very kind to us!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm doing Beachy Head as well, for me it's a training event with San Sebastian in mind. I just about scraped a sub five hour time last year, which was a real eye opener for me. I don't think there's too much value in running up the many hills at the start - you have to save your legs for the sisters at mile 17/18. My intention for this year is to power walk up the early hills and the 100odd steps you come across and then run the flat/shallow climbs and the few downhill stretches. It's a beautiful race, so long as the weather stays nice. All the locals get the food and drink out for you, it's really well run. I'm looking for 4 hours this year and then off to the Amex!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Update: thanks for all the advice - I have now secured my place in the Brighton marathon 2017 :) Even better, I'm running for REMF thanks to Brett, Mike & Gareth - thanks [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]

Absolutely buzzing but scared too. I won't be taking this lightly & know I have to train hard! Will be up to 15 miles by Xmas I hope - have a half in 4 weeks so should be!

Thanks for reading - buzzing :clap2:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Update: thanks for all the advice - I have now secured my place in the Brighton marathon 2017 :) Even better, I'm running for REMF thanks to Brett, Mike & Gareth - thanks [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]

Absolutely buzzing but scared too. I won't be taking this lightly & know I have to train hard! Will be up to 15 miles by Xmas I hope - have a half in 4 weeks so should be!

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good work fella. Be sure to draw on the experience of the grizzled posters on this thread. Collectively we have a number of 26 milers under our belts although 95% belong to [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] :lolol:

Bravo

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back out on the streets this week. Did 8 miles of hill climbing in the dark and the rain this morning at 6am. Excellent stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here