Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No Card / Red Card

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The card system is a failure. You can a yellow for nearly breaking a players leg and the same punishment for removing your shirt whilst celebrating a goal. Needs a complete review and over haul IMO from the booking system all the way through to the appeal process.

I've never got why taking your shirt off was a yellow card offence. Does anyone know the reason behind it?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If you can, have a look at Dmitri Payet's effort that goes just wide in the 2nd half last night. There is a similar challenge in the build-up from Chris Smalling. No question of a foul as Carroll was on the deck and no contact made, but it shows how having studs showing to get quickly to a bouncing ball is a perfectly natural and normal movement in football.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
If you can, have a look at Dmitri Payet's effort that goes just wide in the 2nd half last night. There is a similar challenge in the build-up from Chris Smalling. No question of a foul as Carroll was on the deck and no contact made, but it shows how having studs showing to get quickly to a bouncing ball is a perfectly natural and normal movement in football.

I can't recall the tackle you're referring to, but the point you make is spot on.

For anyone who has enough time on their hands, you could probably find hundreds of instances where a player has showed their studs with a high foot in much the same manner that Dale did. I seem to remember Gerrard doing it frequently for Liverpool in 50-50 challenges, with the ref not batting an eyelid.

One particular incident that springs to mind is Xabi Alonso in the WORLD CUP FINAL vs Holland. The punishment on that occasion was a yellow card, and was miles worse than what happened on Saturday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I can't recall the tackle you're referring to, but the point you make is spot on.

For anyone who has enough time on their hands, you could probably find hundreds of instances where a player has showed their studs with a high foot in much the same manner that Dale did. I seem to remember Gerrard doing it frequently for Liverpool in 50-50 challenges, with the ref not batting an eyelid.

One particular incident that springs to mind is Xabi Alonso in the WORLD CUP FINAL vs Holland. The punishment on that occasion was a yellow card, and was miles worse than what happened on Saturday.

No gashed leg...and it seems obvious that's what influenced the change of mind

I'm with those that are completely gutted about this - I was at the time it happened and I still am. More importantly while I generally agree decisions even themselves out over a season, decisions we have been on the wrong end of in 'big' games this season haven't evened themselves up.

Soft penalty at Derby, soft penalty at Burnley, thug allowed to get away with GBH on Kayal and ref swayed by player at Boro - more often than not those would have gone another way and we wouldn't be playing this week!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've never got why taking your shirt off was a yellow card offence. Does anyone know the reason behind it?

I think there was a spate of international footballers wearing t shirts under their shirts, with slogans printed on them.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

To be fair Howard Webb's refereeing of that entire game was an absolute scandal anyway, so I wouldn't be inclined to use that as the best frame of reference.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The most obvious sign is that Middlesborough's goal was offside and we're not complaining about that one little bit because the red card was even more of an awful decision. I hope it rallies the players to battle through the play-offs together

Hutonthebeach

Apr 19, 2016

Shirt sponsors weren't happy that at the time of their greatest exposure (after a goal) players were effectively removing their sponsorship logo, so it couldn't be seen on photos, close ups, etc. I think it was Ravenelli's fault with his famous shirt over the head celebration.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What is disgusting with the FA is that earlier in the season Dean refereed the game between Chelsea and Arsenal when there was a spat between Gabriel and Costa which culminated in Gabriel walking up to Costa and kicking him in the shin right in front of Dean who then sent him off. The FA rescinded that despite it being a deliberate act yet at the same time upheld Murphy's red when video evidence clearly shows him slipping over.

Double standards which suggests the FA disciplinary committee are easily influenced and therefore not objective when making decisions.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I'm not surprised as it was inconsequential. If Carroll had stayed on his feet and Smalling had clipped him, would probably have been a penalty. But like Stephens it was the type of challenge you see game after game after game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
More importantly while I generally agree decisions even themselves out over a season, decisions we have been on the wrong end of in 'big' games this season haven't evened themselves up.

And in a match like Saturday, where so much rides on the outcome with no more matches to play, there was never any chance of it being evened out this season. Well, not unless the ref gives us a soft penalty in each play-off semi and maybe heads in the winner in our second 'Final'.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
See this biased / unbiased view on Huds. Town Board

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/100448/mike-dean

On balance, I reckon neutral fans are split about 75-25 in Stephens' favour on this. Most people I've spoken to who think it was right to send him off haven't looked at it closely and when they see Stephens got the ball and Gaston inflicted his own injury, change their minds. Really, apart from Middlesbrough fan/rent-a-gob Jeff Winter and Boro supporters, nobody is making a case that it merited a red. Even Mark Halsey's supposed 'backing' (according to the Teesside press) was lukewarm at best and based on it being ok for Mike Dean to cover his arse because of the injury and ignore the effect on the game, which is a very questionable stance.

Considering it's pretty easy to be magnanimous in victory, I'm surprised Boro fans aren't being more even-handed about this and admitting they got away with one. Having read quite a bit of their newspaper coverage over the past few weeks, it's interesting to see just how much of a 'fan' their reporter is too. In a situation like this, any journalist worth his salt would be at least pointing out that the red was 'contentious', whereas their guy is completely in the club's pocket. Some people may dislike Naylor down here but, for my money, the fact he tends to try to be neutral adds far more weight now when he is clearly coming down on Albion's side. Give me that approach any day - and let the club do its own cheerleading.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Any one know the odds on when Mike Dean will ref another Albion game. I fancy a tenner that it wont be before November 2018

Think Mike Dean has been confirmed to ref the championship playoff final.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here