Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm in. Much as I am looking forward to London it was a shame to miss out last Sunday.

A mighty impressive looking train is being coupled together already. Pass the flag on to someone!

Having thought I was injured yesterday I just managed to crack out three pretty slow miles. The calf sorted out via the foam roller and Jesus's stretches. The quad tightness went away of it's own accord and might have just been muscle damage.

BTW a bit late but Brighton fan Bob Mcgarrigle is running London on Sunday for the Martletts. There is a fund raising quiz for him tonight at Grand Central outside Brighton Station. Might be a couple of individual spots left if anyone's interested, if so PM [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I did 20x2 and an 18 over the Downs. Dehydration wasn't a problem I nailed that. 5 -8 pints of water everyday leading up to race and a 5 am start on Sunday to drink 3 pints of water with enough time to pee out before 9. Drank up to, before and during run at every water station. It was a lack of training at 8:00 to 8:30 pace but as I said to you on Sunday I have been in endurance mode since January and could not have taken that on in training.

The other factor is I had to risk failure to get sub 3:45 and it happened. I would not feel any better if I had paced slower and got 3:52. What I do know is that I have come out of this training plan in much better 5k form than last year. That was the main purpose. Anything under last years 20:23 will make it all worthwhile..........

Your renewed determination to attack the 5k is noted with great interest! The NSC 2016 AGR Challenge is up for grabs. I scraped a 20:48 (tbc) at the Worthing Rowing Club 5k last night which should be a 77.4% AGR. That might be some sort of target. Conditions weren't great (out down-wind in 10:07 then bloody hard work back into wind) but it as a lovely flat course with just one turn.

With the miles you've put in up to the BM you should have a good platform. Good luck!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Your renewed determination to attack the 5k is noted with great interest! The NSC 2016 AGR Challenge is up for grabs. I scraped a 20:48 (tbc) at the Worthing Rowing Club 5k last night which should be a 77.4% AGR. That might be some sort of target. Conditions weren't great (out down-wind in 10:07 then bloody hard work back into wind) but it as a lovely flat course with just one turn.

With the miles you've put in up to the BM you should have a good platform. Good luck!

You're on fire! The AG Cup is dead and finished with [MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] soaring ever upwards. Your time is leaving me needing a 19:56 5k. A miracle time but the target. I am also aware that if I get near that you can still beat your time over the summer. I'll be happy with Bronze if I go sub 20.

The press up challenge went tits up, so to speak, can work on that and swimming now. Looking forward to the old gits age grade Phoenix 10k challenge in July.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You're on fire! The AG Cup is dead and finished with [MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] soaring ever upwards. Your time is leaving me needing a 19:56 5k. A miracle time but the target. I am also aware that if I get near that you can still beat your time over the summer. I'll be happy with Bronze if I go sub 20.

The press up challenge went tits up, so to speak, can work on that and swimming now. Looking forward to the old gits age grade Phoenix 10k challenge in July.

Yes, am a bit worried about Downham! I've been a bit distracted by doing duathlons (now done three and still stuck at 17.5mph on bike!). Phoenix challenge sounds good.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I'm in. Much as I am looking forward to London it was a shame to miss out last Sunday.

Great to have you and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] on board. I hope someone takes on the flag waving duty as well as you performed it next year, your enthusiasm and encouragement was a real shot in the arm for me at mile 24 and definitely helped seeing me home. I hope you get the same on Sunday and smash it. Likewise any others taking on London, I'm jealous.

I've just entered the 3 forts half. I was going to try the marathon but it's the day before Derby and wanted to stay relatively fresh for that one. I created the NSC AC team if anyone else fancies it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great to have you and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] on board. I hope someone takes on the flag waving duty as well as you performed it next year, your enthusiasm and encouragement was a real shot in the arm for me at mile 24 and definitely helped seeing me home. I hope you get the same on Sunday and smash it. Likewise any others taking on London, I'm jealous.

I've just entered the 3 forts half. I was going to try the marathon but it's the day before Derby and wanted to stay relatively fresh for that one. I created the NSC AC team if anyone else fancies it.

Agreed, [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and his flag were a very welcome sight [emoji3]
Three Forts full for me, done it a few times and like it, just a relaxed training effort over the gentle undulations.

There is the Mid Sussex 'Marathon weekend' that weekend if anyone is interested - 10 milers in East Grinstead and Haywards Heath on Saturday and Sunday, and a 10k in Burgess Hill on Monday morning (finish is right by the station so easy to hop on a train to the Amex straight after). Think entry on the day is usually ok.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Did the marathon on Sunday. My first ever. Wearing a rhino costume. Genuinely loved the day. Would consider doing a marathon again in the future but am now going to commit to trying to develop my speed and bring down my PBs on distances from 5 to 13 miles.

Am going to sign up for next year's BM10K. I just love the city and any excuse to come down and join the party has to be taken up.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agreed, [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and his flag were a very welcome sight [emoji3]
Three Forts full for me, done it a few times and like it, just a relaxed training effort over the gentle undulations.

Why plan to do next year what you can do now?

I'll see you at the start then for the full. [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] 's entry got me thinking. My arch rival who announced his BM place 5 days before has done 7 marathons to my 4. This will make it 7 to 5 with the added bonus of .8 miles. It will be great to say "Of course Barry you have never run anything over Marathon distance have you". This will open up the you have never done a full Ironman stuff for 30 minutes.............but worth it.

No arrogance though I have to finish ithe job in hand before that.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Anyone doing the Worthing 10k Sunday 5th June? It's my next planned race, so I'm going to start tentative steps towards training for this Wednesday with a few easy paced recovery runs.

My feet are still pretty sore from last week. Blisters under toe nails and 5 black toe nails too. Not a pretty site.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Comeback run: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1135729281

Negative splits and EVERYTHING.

I'm gonna smash London (possibly)

Nice Work and I admire your optimism, I'm not feeling it at the mo! I did a couple miles yesterday and this morning. Not going to lie, pretty achey and lots of niggles. Have you had any sports massages or anything else you would recommend in terms of prep? Drinking shed loads of water from here on in. Picking up my number at Excel was pretty surreal!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice Work and I admire your optimism, I'm not feeling it at the mo! I did a couple miles yesterday and this morning. Not going to lie, pretty achey and lots of niggles. Have you had any sports massages or anything else you would recommend in terms of prep? Drinking shed loads of water from here on in. Picking up my number at Excel was pretty surreal!

Drinking plenty of water, no massage, but kinda wish I did. I've been walking quite a bit, which I figured should be pretty good.

Yes, I went up yesterday to get my number. Not long to go now and in some ways I just want to get it out of the way, or at least get started!

Good luck.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone doing the Worthing 10k Sunday 5th June? It's my next planned race, so I'm going to start tentative steps towards training for this Wednesday with a few easy paced recovery runs.

My feet are still pretty sore from last week. Blisters under toe nails and 5 black toe nails too. Not a pretty site.

Annoyingly got a Level 1 Coaching course the same day. It was a great event last year.

Drinking plenty of water, no massage, but kinda wish I did. I've been walking quite a bit, which I figured should be pretty good.

Yes, I went up yesterday to get my number. Not long to go now and in some ways I just want to get it out of the way, or at least get started!

Good luck.

Good luck chaps, both of you. Back to back attempts seems even more incredible to me now I've just done the one.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Tempting. Probably. Let's get Sunday out of the way first....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Annoyingly got a Level 1 Coaching course the same day. It was a great event last year.

Good luck chaps, both of you. Back to back attempts seems even more incredible to me now I've just done the one.

Cheers, GB.

I ran Bright10 the week after IOW, and it was fine – plus I feel a lot better than I did on Monday/Tuesday – so I'm hopeful that it's won't be too much of a ballache. Bit of a shame I faded so badly on Sunday which has knocked the confidence a bit, but I'm sure it'll be alright on the day...

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Penultimate light run around Hove Park this afternoon before Sunday and yet again I failed miserably at keeping a steady pace.. I was looking for a 8:00 min mile pace just to get that feeling in my legs! oh well.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I plan to do it as it is my local race. Very fast course I believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here