Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Just over 23 min at Preston Park park run today. 40 secs slower than last week's PB, but average still going up, so still happy with that. My excuse was the last minute change in the course due to travellers' vans and cars on the paths, and the resultant congestion at the start and having to run on the grass.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Beachy Head Marathon was a struggle! I dragged round in 4:57:07 which is hugely diappointing, despite the difficulty of the course.

You had to clamber over a wall at one point and I locked out my right quad, it was a nightmare moment with 9 miles left, including the Sisters...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Beachy Head Marathon was a struggle! I dragged round in 4:57:07 which is hugely diappointing, despite the difficulty of the course.

You had to clamber over a wall at one point and I locked out my right quad, it was a nightmare moment with 9 miles left, including the Sisters...

You seem to have the masochistic desire long distance runners require. Glad you finished.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yes, we know all about that wall, but were there SAUSAGE ROLLS and BUNS ???? Gutted manflu made me miss it.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
3:54 for me at Beachy today.. Pleased as i wanted sub 4hr. Swear theyve added more hills!.. Think i might of passed you near the start Ninja..Albion shorts and socks? You were going great... 4.47 is totally respectable time, i would be too disappointed. Count your self lucky that you didnt take a tumble on one of the fast rocky downhills like somone did in front of me..wasnt pretty! Well done again.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Yes, we know all about that wall, but were there SAUSAGE ROLLS and BUNS ???? Gutted manflu made me miss it.

Yeah big sausage rolls, buns and a bag pipe. Plus sausage jacket potatoe and beans, rice pudding served by lovely old ladies at the finish. Plus the swimmi ng poole and massage.. my wife thinks ive been on some kinda jolly. Only downside was that i missed the football..oh well

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
3:54 for me at Beachy today.. Pleased as i wanted sub 4hr. Swear theyve added more hills!.. Think i might of passed you near the start Ninja..Albion shorts and socks? You were going great... 4.47 is totally respectable time, i would be too disappointed. Count your self lucky that you didnt take a tumble on one of the fast rocky downhills like somone did in front of me..wasnt pretty! Well done again.

Wow, cracking time matey.......very impressive on that course

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So I took out my new bum bag and filled it with my new energy gels - yes Sweatshop saw me coming. At first getting the pack out and opening it (Shotbloks strawberry, very pleasant, a bit like when you nicked your mum's jelly block before she'd had a chance to make it up) was a total pain in the arse, especially as I had gloves on as it was freezing when I left. But once I'd necked one I got back quickly to even pace. Took two in the end, one on 50 mins and one on 90 mins. Ended up doing my longest ever run (22.2 kilometres), breaking my 20k and HM personal bests and running off the huge bowl of beef stew and bottle of Shiraz my mate forced down me last night after our disappointing 0-0.

I have another type to try next week (the ones they hand out on the Brighton Marathon course) but I'd say I'm already a gel convert,

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

That's incredible going, very very impressive. I will be more prepared for next year, hopefully! It was a lovely course to run/amble/stroll, very glad the weather held off. I think that course in the rain would be ever so slightly less enjoyable... but it was excellent. I stormed off to the football pretty much as soon as I finished so no chance to enjoy the shower or massage, with hindsight that was specifically the wrong decision.

I'm tempted by Portsmouth on the 20th December, I'm told that's a quick one - has anyone ever run it?

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
4 hours 20 minutes and 24 seconds at the Beachy Head marathon yesterday. It was 7 minutes quicker than last year so I was happy enough with that. Its a tough but great marathon. The best bit is the food afterwards; sausage, beans, jacket potato and rice pudding! Well done to the other NSC runners.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm tempted by Portsmouth on the 20th December, I'm told that's a quick one - has anyone ever run it?

I believe it follows a lot of the half marathon course. I did this 3 years back and it is indeed flat. The problem for a pb, on the half, are a couple of bottlenecks. All but 4 miles of it is off road on paths. These are fine but you run onto a single lane path along mud flats below the tidal limit. This slows the runners down.

Being a smart Arse I thought I would run onto the mud just a metre from the path and overtake. My foot sank up to my cods in mud. I then had to sit in the mud to pull my foot out. Messily jumped up and carried on running to find my shoe was still in the hole I had made. More sitting and struggling in the mud entailed before being able to continue with a right shoe full of slimey mud.

At the finish met another bloke, who never found his trainer and carried on with one shoe on. So, if it does follow the half marathon course, maybe not good for a PB. Really enjoyed the run, organisation and, dare I say it, Portsmouth. The bottlenecks would only add a couple of minutes compensated by no hills. Stay on the single lane paths though.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Having missed out on the Bright10 & Great South Run over the past two weekends I was determined to get out and run either a quick 10 or a steady 12 miles. Having decided to go for the former as the wife wanted to get out I was please to finish in 1 hour 8 minutes and 27 seconds averaging 6:51 per mile which is significantly quicker than any previous run over this distance.

Conditions were near perfect today sunny and cool with a very light breeze, hoping to get out Tuesday then Park Run Saturday before traveling up to Reading.

1 7:05.2
2 6:54.6
3 6:48.8
4 6:49.3
5 6:54.0
6 6:52.6
7 6:55.5
8 6:52.9
9 6:39.4
10 6:33.8

Bermondseygull

Jul 6, 2014
Down by the river
Bit late, but did the Bright10 last weekend, thought it was a fantastic run. 1:10 for me, great atmosphere and the start/finish just across the road from me. Beachy Head yesterday as well, 4:34, wasn't feeling so good after that one but another great course, if a struggle to get round towards the end.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Haven't run it but know people who have. Very flat course, a bit unspectacular but good and quick. Running that should keep you going over December and into the new year and onto whatever youve got planned for early 2016/spring. Plenty of videos on youtube etc etc. Plus after that you can eat all the Christmas pudding you want. Win. Win.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

3:54 around Beachy? Wow! I've never done it but heard it's tough, so that's a cracking time.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
3:54 around Beachy? Wow! I've never done it but heard it's tough, so that's a cracking time.

Cheers Greg.. The first 19 miles are great..tried to cane it, knowing the last section is a hard slog... But yeah, my plan worked well'ish.. the last 7, i was being overtaken on the ups by every man and his dog.. so defiantly something to work on.. more hill sprints and speed work perhaps..i dunno

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
That's incredible going, very very impressive. I will be more prepared for next year, hopefully! It was a lovely course to run/amble/stroll, very glad the weather held off. I think that course in the rain would be ever so slightly less enjoyable... but it was excellent. I stormed off to the football pretty much as soon as I finished so no chance to enjoy the shower or massage, with hindsight that was specifically the wrong decision.

I ran it a few years ago, it is quite flat, its a mix of trail, tarmac and a small bit of shingle. Its an out and back course, a few little bottlenecks but you could go fast on all other parts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here