Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers chaps. 22.03 officially. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] absolutely flew past me at the end.

[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] I was talking to the 23 pacer in the cafe afterwards. He had been the 22 pacer the week before and not reset his watch. This is why he was all over our backs. He only realised after about 3.5 K he said though he then slowed down significantly to get 23 dead. Had he not hassled me I probably wouldn't have knocked 10 seconds off the PB so I thanked him profusely.

Brunswick seems an excellent plan on Weds, see you then chaps.

Ah, that makes sense – I did wonder if that might be the case. Well done on the PB. See you there again soon for a shot at sub-22?

Great parkrunning from everyone on Saturday. I swerved the 'traditional' long run yesterday morning – aching from running and bootcamp and had a long day and drive to London and back for Stevie Wonder in Hyde Park. I would have been even more knackered with a few early miles under my belt. Planning on heading to the hills tomorrow morning though. Good luck for Phoenix, everyone!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Set myself a little challenge here on the ship of doing at least 10k a day for the whole of July. Mostly on the treadmill, but I do sometimes manage to get off. The other evening I went for a nice steady run along the water front in Venice.
Anyway, I was on the treadmill last night & felt good, the view was beautiful out of the window as were sailing from Kotor, Montenegro, so I kept going. Ended up doing a half marathon in 1:45:36.
Is this a decent time for a 55 year old? (I know treadmill times aren't that reliable).

This 38-year-old would be DELIGHTED for a 1:45 HM at the moment, so yes, I reckon so :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ah, that makes sense – I did wonder if that might be the case. Well done on the PB. See you there again soon for a shot at sub-22?

Great parkrunning from everyone on Saturday. I swerved the 'traditional' long run yesterday morning – aching from running and bootcamp and had a long day and drive to London and back for Stevie Wonder in Hyde Park. I would have been even more knackered with a few early miles under my belt. Planning on heading to the hills tomorrow morning though. Good luck for Phoenix, everyone!

The next time I don't have to take football training on a Saturday I'll be there. Less to knock off my 5k to get sub 22 than knock off my marathon to get sub 4 hr!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The next time I don't have to take football training on a Saturday I'll be there. Less to knock off my 5k to get sub 22 than knock off my marathon to get sub 4 hr!!

Plus you still have flat Hove Prom up your sleeve. Windless day and you should take 15 seconds off your soon to be sub 22. So that's 21:45 already.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've ****ed my foot up again. Not really surprising having jumped from almost no running to 33.3, 36.9, 38.6, 41.4 and 41.5 miles over the last five weeks. I knew it was going last night as I plodded out my last run of the week and so it has proven.

I've been ice bottle rolling once again today and I'll have to take to my bike for a while again.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've ****ed my foot up again. Not really surprising having jumped from almost no running to 33.3, 36.9, 38.6, 41.4 and 41.5 miles over the last five weeks. I knew it was going last night as I plodded out my last run of the week and so it has proven.

I've been ice bottle rolling once again today and I'll have to take to my bike for a while again.

A shame but as you say hardly surprising. Rest days are critical to help your body recuperate.

Flogging yourself until breakdown is a) frustrating and b) you will never sustain improvement.

Keep with the low impact exercise and then consider a plan which is kinder to your legs and feet.

Maybe swap a running session for core and light weights.

I'd love to run more than 2 or 3 times a week but I know if I consistently go above 30 miles per week I break down.

I'm no expert but I read that 'junk' miles e.g running out of habit no purpose are a runners worst enemy, no gain just more workload.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
so who's on the list for Wednesday, pretty sure of the following but I think there were others? [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

Forecast looking ok with wind dropping to around 10mph

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
so who's on the list for Wednesday, pretty sure of the following but I think there were others? [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

I'm there. First 10k this year and no idea what to expect. See you all there

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I will be there, I am still scratching around looking for some form though and my preparation hasn't been good. The NSC leaderboard for this race is going to be an interesting read, very strong and deep field of runners.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave

I will be there but legs carrying many miles as only just over 5 weeks to the Reykjavik marathon! Guess I will have to step up from my 11 minute mile training pace :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A shame but as you say hardly surprising. Rest days are critical to help your body recuperate.

Flogging yourself until breakdown is a) frustrating and b) you will never sustain improvement.

Keep with the low impact exercise and then consider a plan which is kinder to your legs and feet.

Maybe swap a running session for core and light weights.

I'd love to run more than 2 or 3 times a week but I know if I consistently go above 30 miles per week I break down.

I'm no expert but I read that 'junk' miles e.g running out of habit no purpose are a runners worst enemy, no gain just more workload.

All I'm doing is trying to lose weight - I don't give a shit about my performance. I know I'm a considerable way off what I achieved last year and I'm well past any "if only I'd carried on" regrets now.

I was genuinely disappointed with not being able to run today after 36 days of straight running, but that soon passed when I reached the top of Chanctonbury Ring on my mountain bike a little while ago!

Chanctonbury Ring with the sheep.jpg

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Ill be there. Looking forward to it.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ill be there. Looking forward to it.

Damn - that's another place down the order for me then ;-)

So that's eight so far- suspect there's a few more. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll definitely be there on Wednesday. Encouraged by a 5K PB on Saturday though not by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] belting past me :lolol:. I think I will be aiming for around 46 mins which would be five mins better than last year and ten better than my first ever BM10K time.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I am looking to upgrade my GPS watch. My Forerunner 10 is already having difficulty charging and picking up GPS even off the wrist and I'd like something more "wearable tech". The Forerunner 235 looks perfect with the inbuilt HRM. Isn't that the one you have? Is it any good? Anyone else got an opinion on the 235 either way?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I am looking to upgrade my GPS watch. My Forerunner 10 is already having difficulty charging and picking up GPS even off the wrist and I'd like something more "wearable tech". The Forerunner 235 looks perfect with the inbuilt HRM. Isn't that the one you have? Is it any good? Anyone else got an opinion on the 235 either way?

Yeah, I love it. It's not missed a beat since I've had it - no really quick or slow miles that I sometimes see on other people's runs. I've never even thought about not locking onto GPS - I set it to run as I leave the door and it's good to go when I reach the bottom of the drive a few seconds later. I'd say it holds charge for a good week or more - I'm not entirely sure how long, but it has never run out between charges for me. I've gone out for runs with it on less than 20% and it's still fine.

I've not delved into any of the more sophisticated functions but I'm not sure if it would, say, 'coach' me through a run where I wanted negative splits, mile on mile nor if I wanted to do intervals - run at a fast pace for a distance and then a slower pace recovery for a while and then back to fast pace etc. I've certainly not stumbled across these options anyway.

I know [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has the 630 which has a few more bells and whistles.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Last years winner, looking to defend his crown? Are you looking at another sub 40 this year?

Yeah looking for a sub 40.. But itll be hard as ive done very little speed work... My only real aim this year has been to maintain form and fitness..so hopefully the same again..ill stick to 40 marker then see what happens..

I fully expect to hand the crown on!... (classic sandbaggin! )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here