Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeepers and the forward flop

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I seem to remember the keeper-holding-the-ball thing really being enforced some time back and then next season dropped.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I think that is a pathetic argument when you consider how much time the ball is out of play for normal events in a game.like feigned injuries, throw in, goal kicks etc. Had you settled on it being unsporting I think that you may had a point but your point is not really a valid point. He could use the same time with the ball at his feet waiting to kick it or until challenged.

I genuinely couldn't care less about it, to be honest. I just started the thread because I'm avoiding work.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It already is outlawed. The keeper is not allowed to control the ball with his hands for more than 6 seconds. It's not the law that is the problem, it is the appetite for strict enforcement.

When does the 6 seconds start? From when he catches or when he stands up? He wouldn't do it on the pitches I played on, plenty of dog dodoo

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Kuipers was the expert at this, as was Gary Hart for the slow run off the pitch when substituted (when winning).

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Technically, yes.

Technically being the operative word here. In the thirty odd years I've been avidly watching the Albion, I can't ever remember seeing a keeper penalised for exceeding the six seconds.

The only one I can think of was in an international game, where I'm sure Walter Zenga was penalised while playing for Italy (maybe the 1990 World Cup??).

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Technically being the operative word here. In the thirty odd years I've been avidly watching the Albion, I can't ever remember seeing a keeper penalised for exceeding the six seconds.

The only one I can think of was in an international game, where I'm sure Walter Zenga was penalised while playing for Italy (maybe the 1990 World Cup??).
Mignolet from Liverpool was penalised in a Europa Cup game a couple of seasons back and the opposition scored from the free kick but it rarely happens - only when keepers really take the piss and ignore the ref telling them to hurry up.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Cech was doing the flop... and also moaning at the young ball girl behind his goal for returning the ball too quickly to him. Probably because he couldn't do the whole get a drink, kick the studs on the posts, walk across to get the ball, walk all the way over to the other side, 'apologise' to the ref, place the ball, retreat, hesitate, return to the ball, stamp on the ground to improve the placing/footing, retreat and then finally, to a crescendo of whistles from the opposing fans, kick the ball.

Think our Matty did this to great aplomb against Newcastle. I did notice him collect the ball from ball boy (who was in no real hurry) from behind the goal. He then walked around the net, and right across the face of goal again to the other side. Wanted CH to use his last 2 subs as well to kill another 60 seconds, but Whoton wasn't playing the same game as Matty :)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I really hate the winning attacking team taking the ball to the corner flag and then shielding it until the defensive team kick it out for a throw in.

I recall JFC doing it against Wigan,with about 10 minutes to go (probably only 3).
He had been put clean through with a chance to make it 2-0. He just stopped and headed over to the corner flag.

infuriating

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I really hate the winning attacking team taking the ball to the corner flag and then shielding it until the defensive team kick it out for a throw in.

I recall JFC doing it against Wigan,with about 10 minutes to go (probably only 3).
He had been put clean through with a chance to make it 2-0. He just stopped and headed over to the corner flag.

infuriating

The only objection I have to that is when a player effectively makes himself a barrier between the opposing player and the ball thus making no attempt to play it but stopping the other man being able to get it. To me that is obstruction and should be an indirect free kick exactly the same when a player shields a ball going over the bye line for a goal kick. I once asked Ray Lewis about this being obstruction and he agreed but said it would cause no end of grief to him and other refs if they gave it so they agreed not to.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

infuriating

I really hate it when I go upstairs and then forget what I went up there for.

Brightonrock01

May 22, 2017
Augusta, Ga, USA
Funniest example of a player keeping the ball I've ever seen was during a NUFC v Luton game in 1987. Earlier in the season, Luton had spanked Newcastle 4-0, and apparently during the game, were a little unprofessional towards their Geordie opponents. When the reverse fixture took place, NUFC were obviously up for it - they won 4-0 this time, and Glenn Roeder, one of the Newcastle defenders actually stopped and sat on the ball, during play, and beckoned the Luton players towards him!

Then it all went off!! :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The only objection I have to that is when a player effectively makes himself a barrier between the opposing player and the ball thus making no attempt to play it but stopping the other man being able to get it. To me that is obstruction and should be an indirect free kick exactly the same when a player shields a ball going over the bye line for a goal kick. I once asked Ray Lewis about this being obstruction and he agreed but said it would cause no end of grief to him and other refs if they gave it so they agreed not to.

Well Mr Lewis is very wrong and you. I read the Laws, name drop, as FIFA publish them, and Law 12 clearly states you are allowed to shield the ball.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here