Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GOSBTS "Going up" or "Stand or Fall"?

GOSBTS What do you sing when the players walk out?

• You can tell them all that we stand or fall

Votes: 301 84.1%
  • And we're going up to win the cup

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • None. I don't sing.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do believe the "going up to win the cup" version was written by Norman Wisdom.

Stand or fall for me.

No. He wrote "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup". It got changed to "Going up to win the cup" as a one-off specifically for the 1983 cup final - and for some inexplicable reason it's stayed that way ever since.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
GOSBTS "Going up" or "Stand or Fall"?

it's always going to be difficult for some people to change words that have been ingrained in their mind for years.

As someone who grew up with the Cup version, but prefers the Stand or Fall original words as they are more emotive and make much better sense, I feel well qualified to say that's absolute tosh. How difficult is it, really? One line in a song? And it's even written in massive letters on a screen for the hard of thinking.

Sure, it may not seem that important. But I think most people get that it would sound immense if our unique Sussex anthem was belted out with everyone singing the same words rather than one line being an unintelligible mess and ruining the effect.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If you polled just the NS you would find 85% don't sing stand or fall, its a shame

Over towards the North west corner, it's almost completely stand or fall.

at least that's what I hear when I'm singing it.. Has definitely been changing over the past season or so.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It's obvious isn't it?

IMG_0417.JPG

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stand or Fall for me. It's coming over louder and louder every match too, the up to win the cups are slowly dying out.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Going up to win the cup!

Yeah I know stand Or fall is the 'right' answer but we've sung going up since I've been going in early 80s so...
So have I but, Stand or Fall is just better.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Over towards the North west corner, it's almost completely stand or fall.

at least that's what I hear when I'm singing it.. Has definitely been changing over the past season or so.
Yes, definitely from the East it sounds as though the correct version is taking hold. Marvelous.

And this:

We wunt be druv.

OK, so I'm the old guy here who went to games before big screens and karaoke. It was 'and we're going up for to win the cup'.
It was and always will be for me.

Sorry sir but the under 30s on here are the authourity on what can be sung/booed/whoooed? What time you can leave, at what age a replica shirt is no longer allowed to be worn, what lager (if any) you are allowed to drink and what colour jumper you can wear when starting a fight with Geordies on a train.

Dont embarrass them and make them cringe now!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As previously mentioned, the cup version is sung many times throughout games especially at away games. So, would it really hurt to for people to sing the original stand or fall just for when the teams come out in unison. This is coming from a 40 year old who has grown up with the cup version at the Goldstone and Withers by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here