Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It's funking hot down here close to the Spanish border. Anyway, my temp LBS has talked me into a flat bar for my climb. No funking compatible pedals either. Gonna be awkward.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's funking hot down here close to the Spanish border. Anyway, my temp LBS has talked me into a flat bar for my climb. No funking compatible pedals either. Gonna be awkward.
Be strong young warrior.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
What I learned this week..

I bought some wheels last month for my commuter bike which have shimano 105 hubs and a shimano freehub. This week I noticed a rattling coming from the back of my bike and immediately checked the usual suspects. But no, the mudguard and pannier rack were both done up tight and didn't appear to be guilty. A wiggle of the cassette and, aha, that's it the cassette is shaking about. So, I tightened it a bit more, but no it still rattles about. It's 11 speed on a 11 speed freehub, So, I took the cassette off and found the freehub was loose. The retailer tells me they often have about 1mm of float, I checked this with my mechanic and he thought it looked ok.

Anyone else noticed float in their shimano freehub on a shimano hub??

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Anyone else noticed float in their shimano freehub on a shimano hub??

Yes, looks a bit like this :lolol:-

15in1-Assorted-Size-Vertical-Buoy-Fishing-font-b-Float-b-font-Bobber-font-b-Rod-b.jpg

Just a quicky, just been reading an article in the cycling weekly about Don Lock. Saw they may name a race after him n wondered as he was also 1 of us if they may be something we could do? A small or large NSC charity ride in his name? Sorry if this has already been noted.; I did have a root!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just a quicky, just been reading an article in the cycling weekly about Don Lock. Saw they may name a race after him n wondered as he was also 1 of us if they may be something we could do? A small or large NSC charity ride in his name? Sorry if this has already been noted.; I did have a root!
Worthing Excelsior are doing a ride on Sunday. [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] flagged it up, the other day.

So geeks, the open goal question (albeit somewhat poorly timed) has to be:-

What's the route of your Memorial ride?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Worthing Excelsior are doing a ride on Sunday. [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] flagged it up, the other day.

So geeks, the open goal question (albeit somewhat poorly timed) has to be:-

What's the route of your Memorial ride?

Well, their club rides are Sunday's, last I heard they were thinking of 06 September for the memorial club ride. It is sounding like it could attract a lot of people and other cycling clubs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] how did you get on climbing Ditchling the other day?
Did you finally beat it?

If not we can talk you through it, as there are a few 'tricks of the trade' to make it fifth time lucky!

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
37,000 feet of climbing this week for someone!!! - Cripes I need to sit down just looking at that total.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
what's the best route from Worthing to littlehampton?
Seafront, although it's been headwindtastic for weeks.

Right along to Ferring.
Up through the village.
Left after level crossing.
A259, cycle path available.
Either stay on that road to Rustington or drop down through East Preston.
Through Rustington village.
Back down seafront at the church/The Lamb junction.

As said you don't want to be doing that into a 20mph headwind.
If that were the case I'd suggest train over, with the bikes, then freewheel home.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Seafront, although it's been headwindtastic for weeks.

Right along to Ferring.
Up through the village.
Left after level crossing.
A259, cycle path available.
Either stay on that road to Rustington or drop down through East Preston.
Through Rustington village.
Back down seafront at the church/The Lamb junction.

As said you don't want to be doing that into a 20mph headwind.
If that were the case I'd suggest train over, with the bikes, then freewheel home.

Thanks man, I'm gonna take that route tommorow morning :thumbsup:

Probably train it back lol

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not sure if I qualify as a fully fledged geek. Starting to do some cycling after being a half decent (sub 21 5K) runner who is bugged by calf strains. On my nice little Trek hybrid managed 50 miles in 3 hours15 mins. Filled with enthusiasm I bought a cheapo road bike - actually slower than my Trek. I think the word 'cheapo' might explain the variance.
Is a sub 3 hour for 50 miles within reasonable reach? Would pukka geeks consider this 'respectable' at the grand age of 60? Am aware that there are - just like in running - some really good older riders out there.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Not sure if I qualify as a fully fledged geek. Starting to do some cycling after being a half decent (sub 21 5K) runner who is bugged by calf strains. On my nice little Trek hybrid managed 50 miles in 3 hours15 mins. Filled with enthusiasm I bought a cheapo road bike - actually slower than my Trek. I think the word 'cheapo' might explain the variance.
Is a sub 3 hour for 50 miles within reasonable reach? Would pukka geeks consider this 'respectable' at the grand age of 60? Am aware that there are - just like in running - some really good older riders out there.
That's a very respectable effort. The switch to the road bike probably slowed you initially as it's a change in position and you've been used to the flat bar option. You will adapt in time and it may be worth your local bike shop giving you a quick bike fit to sort position.

Sub 3 hours is certainly achievable (and beyond if you've started that we'll!)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Three hours for fifty miles is great, in my book. I usually take about 3 hours fifteen or twenty, and I'm happy with that.

And welcome, I am very pleased that there is finally a geek older than me on this thread. :)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sake. Really fat tyres, inability to disable suspension and a funking uncomfortable seat. The full climb was denied to me because of a barrier down. My best ever ride nonetheless. On strava at end of week.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Any bike techies on here that could give me some advice?
I no longer have a road bike (oh how I wish I had kept my Trek now after this years TDF reignited the passion!), but I have a spare mtb at home (Genesis Core 20) that I'm thinking of tinkering with to make it more of a commuter / road hack....Obviously its easy to change to more suitable tyres & adding bar ends etc., but I don't really want my Rockshox on there adding extra weight. Does anyone know if I could just swap them for a pair of modern, straight rigid mtb forks with minimal fuss, or do they have to have certain criteria to fit properly?? Would it alter the frame angles significantly? Obviously it was designed with suspension forks in mind so not sure how different rigid ones would make it.
I don't really have the money spare to go & get a new road bike, so I'm thinking this is the next best thing....?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here