Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Biggest single result since Hereford?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No. Especially not when simplified to result.

It's early March, we were on 31 points and this was a free hit. Great, we won, but with 9 games to play, it wouldn't matter if we didn't, and how big can a result be if it wouldn't matter if it was reversed? Come the end of the season, I'm not sure we'll be pointing to this game as the one that kept us up.

If you factor in performance and attitude and what they mean to a bigger picture, you could maybe start to put forward an argument. We approached the game without fear.The belief it gives to the team that they finally started playing like a team that deserves to be in the premiere league. This isn't the result that keeps us up, but it could be the performance that ends our inferiority complex, stops that attitude of "well, they're [whoever] an established premier league club, a draw is a fantastic result".

But no. Just off the top of my head with little thought... Not as important as the wigan win that saw us promoted. Not as significant as the win against Doncaster - struggle to win in your first game in a new ground and you set up the possibility of it becoming a thing (see west ham struggling at the olympic stadium, southampton when they first went to st marys). That's focusing on our time at the Amex. I reckon there'd be a few games in the Withdean era - play off finals, the one that got us promoted to the championship ahead of our move to the amex, the cup win v Man City, etc.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
No. Hereford was massive- once you slip out of the football league it’s very hard to return. Tranmere, Torquay, Wrexham, Orient, Hartlepool and Hereford themselves to name but a few.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hate to dampen the win but beating stockport at home on the last day of the 2008/2009 season to stay up was bigger than this

Yes of course today was our biggest win. Think of it like this. My greatest escape was when I was paid a shit load of money out of the blue that saved my mortgage. My best day ever was when my son got a decent job. Was your greatest day the day you found the fiver that paid the last bit of the rent that stopped you being evicted, or was it the day you passed your probation to get that amazing job you'd always dreamt about? We have to look up now. The greatest day as a Brighton supporter was the day I finally exhaled and unclenched. That was today. But it will be beaten. And soon I expect.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Yes of course today was our biggest win. Think of it like this. My greatest escape was when I was paid a shit load of money out of the blue that saved my mortgage. My best day ever was when my son got a decent job. Was your greatest day the day you found the fiver that paid the last bit of the rent that stopped you being evicted, or was it the day you passed your probation to get that amazing job you'd always dreamt about? We have to look up now. The greatest day as a Brighton supporter was the day I finally exhaled and unclenched. That was today. But it will be beaten. And soon I expect.

Utter drivel !

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No, it was only against Arsenal a team on the slide that are nowhere close to being a top 4 side anytime soon without a massive investment in better players.
It was also only three points, which while important in the context of getting closer to the target of staying in the division, it was effectively a free game with limited pressure on the team if they had lost the game.
Yes the result will increase confidence and provide a new belief that we can beat top 6 sides going forward, but others such as the away win at Bristol Rovers under Russell Slade to effectively stay in the third tier stand out more

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Utter drivel !

Crikey. An endorsement like that from you means that it wasn't just my musing. It must have been fact. Solid FACT.

(ps,no need to insert a space before an exclamation mark. Do it again and I'll want to punch someone, very hard, in the face).

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
It is nowhere near our biggest win but maybe one of our most enjoyable wins.Most of our biggest wins in recent times have
left us with a feeling of relief rather than joy but today was definitely about joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Last weeks victory over Swansea was probably more important as it was a "6 pointer"

In terms of prestige across India, USA, and our Aussie ex pats- this result is massive though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not even close. A win against a top six side shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as Hereford, or Doncaster or any of those points in 96/97.
Well none of the points in 96/97 were since Hereford :)

Before the game my daughter asked me if I had to, what would I choose between a win today and loss against Palace, or vice versa - I'd have chosen a win against Palace, as they're a relegation rival. Great result today, and nice to have the confidence we can get points off a top 6 side, but not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Silly question - a few points which may or may not help us stay up, against certain extinction.
No, he didn't ask if it was as big as the Hereford game, he asked if it was as big as any other since then.

Still a no of course, but not as silly as you read it as.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Some may disagree with this but IMO our biggest win since Doncaster 1997 was beating Chesterfield to win League 2.

It marked the beginning of the climb to where we are now, and what a night it was.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Arguably, it could be, but we won't know until the end of the season, at the earliest. Not because of the three points towards staying up, but how it frames the players and club's attitude to the top premier league sides. If we play with a similar attitude in the cup at Man U and take the game, as much as we can to Spurs, Liverpool, Man U and City in the league, then we might look back and see yesterday's result as transformational. For now, though, I will stick with some of the games that have got us our five promotions since Hereford. Bristol C in the play off final, maybe.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Well none of the points in 96/97 were since Hereford :)

Before the game my daughter asked me if I had to, what would I choose between a win today and loss against Palace, or vice versa - I'd have chosen a win against Palace, as they're a relegation rival. Great result today, and nice to have the confidence we can get points off a top 6 side, but not that big of a deal.

Agree with all of it [emoji1303]

Still, loving coming into work today. I wish I could go back in time and show the score to my eight year old self who had to deal with all the ‘Brighton are shit’ comments from the plastics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We haven't beaten a club that high up the football pyramid since Hereford, so it certainly has a claim as our biggest win in that time. I don't get people dismissing it as 'just another league game' - thats one of the biggest clubs in the country we've just beaten, one of the fabled 'top 6'. It ain't going to happen that often

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Still, loving coming into work today. I wish I could go back in time and show the score to my eight year old self who had to deal with all the ‘Brighton are shit’ comments from the plastics!
Indeed, we've come a long way. But we'll be shit again at some point, and so what. They're our local team, not a team we chose by looking at the table.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We haven't beaten a club that high up the football pyramid since Hereford, so it certainly has a claim as our biggest win in that time. I don't get people dismissing it as 'just another league game' - thats one of the biggest clubs in the country we've just beaten, one of the fabled 'top 6'. It ain't going to happen that often
You obviously accept that Hereford was a bigger win, so you understand that the point is not about how high up the league the opponents were. So yes, Arsenal are the highest up the league we've beaten, but that doesn't make the win bigger than wins that give you promotion or survival. If we'd have drawn we'd still have been likely to stay up. It was a great to beat a top 6 side, but it's unlikely to have been significant in the history of our club.

The win against Wigan last season was probably bigger.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
When you look at yesterdays Arsenal team on paper, it was a fantastic result, In Mustafi and Ozil they 2 world cup winners on the pitch.

However best result could be any of a number last season to get us to where we are now, or you could go back to the 80s where we beat Liverpool on their own patch a few times when they were the kings of Europe and had an outstanding team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here