Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] My new DAMSELFLY album 'An Awkward Bow' is out now

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I bought the download version; sounds like just the sort of music I like - something that sounds great if I'm paying attention to it, but equally can blend into the background if I'm busy working (hopefully you don't mind such uses for your music).

I literally have no time for music with singing/ego-based lyrics these days; but a bit of modern classical, electronic, instrumental does the job very nicely. Hope this does well.

Thank you! I very much don't mind it being played as background music, and it's nice to hear that it fits in both camps in that respect. A lot of the music I like best can be played those ways.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've been listening to the album today and mightily impressed. It sounds a lot less minimal, less full-on electronica and more of there being a band behind you than your first (reminds me of Depeche Mode/Grumbling Fur whereas the first had me checking out the Mark Hollis references) and there's some big tunes in there (Hedge Is Born, Sub Rosa). The piano pieces - anyone who is partial to a bit of Olafur Arnalds or Nils Frahm will like these.

There's also a lot more muscle to this, if that's the right word. I'm a big fan of tunes that build and build like a bad mood. I think THPP hit the nail on the head when he described it as a soundtrack album.

Thanks Buzzer, that's interesting (and good) to hear. When I set out writing the album my primary objective was "don't make a Vottol 2", but at the same time to try and keep some of the feel / sound to link the two. I agree it's a more muscular album, it would lend itself to a full band live outing. In that respect it was a little easier to write as I went back to picking up the guitar and banging away on the keyboards, more akin to how I used to write when in bands. Vottol was a major challenge in that I banned myself from going anywhere near a guitar, never done that before. I'm glad you and THPP think it has a soundtrack feel too, I was hoping it would, but you never know how other people will hear it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Very limited edition CDs now shipping if anyone fancies one (available from Bandcamp via link in my signature).

CD AAB.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very limited edition CDs now shipping if anyone fancies one (available from Bandcamp via link in my signature).

View attachment 93924

Cheers [MENTION=3052]Hungry Joe[/MENTION], mine arrived in the post today. Quality presentation pack. CD sounds amazing thru my Blu-Ray (remember THOSE, kidz?)

While I'm here, can we pretty please have sometime in the pipeline an extended mix of Sub Rosa? It's my track of the year to date. [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] seems pretty keen on it too. Which is more than good enough for me, the man has immaculate musical taste. Reckon if you married that tune to some equally beautiful visuals you could make Damselfly fly to another level altogether.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Cheers [MENTION=3052]Hungry Joe[/MENTION], mine arrived in the post today. Quality presentation pack. CD sounds amazing thru my Blu-Ray (remember THOSE, kidz?)

While I'm here, can we pretty please have sometime in the pipeline an extended mix of Sub Rosa? It's my track of the year to date. [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] seems pretty keen on it too. Which is more than good enough for me, the man has immaculate musical taste. Reckon if you married that tune to some equally beautiful visuals you could make Damselfly fly to another level altogether.

mine arrived today too, at work :(
will listen tonight :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Definitely a big fan of Sub Rosa, particularly the trip-hop undertones. As much as I'd love to see a video, I think I'd be more interested in seeing it live and if you do decide to do a live show then please let us know.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Excellent stuff. I still have a Blu-Ray too.

Sub Rosa does seem to be a popular track for alternaive / new versions, extras, your wish.... and all that :) On another forum I've been requested to do a remix without drums / percussion, which could be interesting. I'll definitely start having a play and see what that brings forth.

Re; the visuals / video - it's something I'm very keen to do. My video efforts date have been very much home-made so I'd like to see what someone who knows what they're actually doing could do! If there are any NSCers into that sort of thing who fancy a little project let me know.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Definitely a big fan of Sub Rosa, particularly the trip-hop undertones. As much as I'd love to see a video, I think I'd be more interested in seeing it live and if you do decide to do a live show then please let us know.

Thanks Buzzer. I'm still toying with the idea of a live project, I know I'd enjoy doing it, miss that live buzz. I'm actually in the process of reducing my hours in the day job to allow more time for the music, so that might help me get something together. I'll definitely keep you posted if I do decide to dust off my stage shoes :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thanks Buzzer. I'm still toying with the idea of a live project, I know I'd enjoy doing it, miss that live buzz. I'm actually in the process of reducing my hours in the day job to allow more time for the music, so that might help me get something together. I'll definitely keep you posted if I do decide to dust off my stage shoes :)

Cheers matey. I saw a gig recently at the Ropetackle which, I think, is quite near you and would be ideal for your music if you're thinking of venues.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Excellent stuff. I still have a Blu-Ray too.

Sub Rosa does seem to be a popular track for alternaive / new versions, extras, your wish.... and all that :) On another forum I've been requested to do a remix without drums / percussion, which could be interesting. I'll definitely start having a play and see what that brings forth.

Re; the visuals / video - it's something I'm very keen to do. My video efforts date have been very much home-made so I'd like to see what someone who knows what they're actually doing could do! If there are any NSCers into that sort of thing who fancy a little project let me know.

Sub Rosa would be a wonderful orchestral piece live without percussion
OR on the other end of the spectrum...
another mix it could work well IMO with could be a heavier drum beat and a bassline

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Sub Rosa would be a wonderful orchestral piece live without percussion
OR on the other end of the spectrum...
another mix it could work well IMO with could be a heavier drum beat and a bassline

I'll echo what I said having listened a fair few times, feck it would make an awesome DubStep track, I have a zillion music likes but am a bit of a bass head

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

View attachment 93924

really enjoyed listening to that, music to get lost in, bit like a French arty film, compulsive to watch, but just as it starts to make sense the screen goes blank and F I N rolls slowly down. I've emailed the link to my friend as I think she'll love it. Now for a glass of wine and an encore

Thank you!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
really enjoyed listening to that, music to get lost in, bit like a French arty film, compulsive to watch, but just as it starts to make sense the screen goes blank and F I N rolls slowly down. I've emailed the link to my friend as I think she'll love it. Now for a glass of wine and an encore

Thank you!

Lovely to hear, thank you. Hope you enjoyed your glass of wine :)

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Nice surprise to get home and find the CD waiting for me. Cheers matey.

Pleasure mate.

Whilst I'm here, thank you to everyone who has shown the love so far, it really does mean the world.

A lot of people are especially liking Sub Rosa, so I'm currently working on doing some remixing of it, including a mournful (no drums) 'Sussex Winter' mix with a view to an EP release sometime in the not too distant future.

I'm also looking for someone to put together some visuals for some tracks, so if you / someone you know is a damn site better at that sort of thing than I am and fancies having a go then get in touch please.

Cheers! Darren x

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A lot of people are especially liking Sub Rosa, so I'm currently working on doing some remixing of it, including a mournful (no drums) 'Sussex Winter' mix with a view to an EP release sometime in the not too distant future.

Great stuff! Looking forward to hearing what promises to be a monster remix.

I'm also looking for someone to put together some visuals for some tracks, so if you / someone you know is a damn site better at that sort of thing than I am and fancies having a go then get in touch please.

The guy who does your always atmospheric artwork seems to have what he does down to a fine art. Just give him an old Super 8 camera and get him to film you moodily walking the winter Downs, remoter the better.

If you're GENUINELY stuck (and with all the film making talent on NSC, you won't be) then get in touch, I may be able to suggest somebody. Either way, don't over-fret about the visuals, they'll take care of themselves when the music reaches the much wider audience it fully deserves.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Pleasure mate.

Whilst I'm here, thank you to everyone who has shown the love so far, it really does mean the world.

Cheers! Darren x

I might know someone who could help with visuals. A very good friend is a film-maker. Can put you in touch if you like.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here