Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
It’s trade and alliances that make nations great

Agreed, but not when they are held hostage by a super-state. Leave voters wanted to make the country great by cutting off the shackles.

I am not a racist.

I saw no bus advert.

I am not stupid or uninformed.

I will never vote remain and nor will anyone I've spoken to who voted leave first time around. My own young adult kids who voted remain, would now vote leave as they've seen for the first time what a stranglehold the EU wields.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Over what timeframe? These deals take years to negotiate and implement. Alsmost all of the nations that we would wish to/are worth trading with, we already have fantastic deals with through the EU.

As long as it takes... It will be fine on WTO rules in the meantime! The world copes....

This is conjecture. Also, the borders would be at a standstill in the case of a no deal brexit.

Even the EU has plans to extend the timeframe of implementing border control because they need time to cope too.

Conjecture. History has proven that trickle down economics is a pile of horseshit.

New jobs will be created!

It is not extra, it is money we may not spend in regard to a withdrawal agreement. We have also commited £4bn for no deal preperations in any case.

It will not be wasted in the EU's purse and lost accounts!

In reality, we would be inviting everyone in that we could to fill up the massive gaps that are already present with people who are not coming into the country as a result of brexit. We also have control, right now, under the terms of our EU membership to chose who comes in or not.

We will invite those who will pay enough tax to pay their way. And some nurses in the short term... Fruit pickers on short term contracts... No problem!

This would be nice. It is conjecture.

No it will happen for low paid staff.

We do anyway. This is the biggest fallacy of being part of the EU. If we really want to do something, we generally do it (see iraq, Austerity drive under tories)

Not all of them...

This can happen now. We have a fuel duty which is a UK policy, not an EU policy. Good luck telling any government to stop the taps on a major source of tax income.

Now if duty goes up, people book a day trip to France. After Brexit they won't have that option because we will only be able to bring back 2 bottles per trip tax free. Wine tax will go up massively very soon....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We won't be strangled by a fat cat 'United States of Europe' bureaucracy which uses us like a pawn. That's why we whinge and opt out of bureaucracy we don't like'

We will be able to make our own decisions and agreements regarding Trading with other countries. The EU never stopped us from trading with non-EU countries.

We will be able to pick and choose which EU laws we want to keep (adapt in our own way) and which ones we do not. That's why we still have pints of beer and milk and drive on the left.

Jesus, if as a Country we can't extract ourselves from the EU now, when the Country voted for it, that means we will never extract ourselves and will as a result, become so much weaker in every way. We are being held hostage, and this is why people like me voted to leave.

Wow ! just Wow !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Tom Watson comes over well.

It's interesting to watch everybody put out their 'big guns'. Entertaining, but completely pointless :shrug:

Sad git that I am, I find it more entertaining than X factor

It's not hard to predict, a friend of mine just tells me you need to invest a little time :angel::angel:

Last edited:

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Why the ''wow''...is the reality finally dawning on you?

You didn't manage to come up with a coherent reply to any of the 3 points I threw in off the top of my head. Hmmm...

In case people skim-read the quote you edited and think I posted the rubbish about pints of beer and driving on the left, etc, I stress that the bit in bold is what I said and the words after that, were meant to be some sort of response, I think:

We won't be strangled by a fat cat 'United States of Europe' bureaucracy which uses us like a pawn. That's why we whinge and opt out of bureaucracy we don't like'

We will be able to make our own decisions and agreements regarding Trading with other countries. The EU never stopped us from trading with non-EU countries.

We will be able to pick and choose which EU laws we want to keep (adapt in our own way) and which ones we do not. That's why we still have pints of beer and milk and drive on the left.

Are any of those responses meant to convince me that remainers are not merely people who wanted the status quo, due to fear?

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Gove giving a brilliant speach, destroying the oaf Corbyn and backing his PM. Who would have known.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:lolol: I’m sorry but someone from the U.K. is the very last person I’ll listen to when it comes to the state-of-a-nation.

Lame-duck leader. Ffs. Listen to yourself.

Sometimes I wonder why I put him on ignore.

Hang on.....

No, no I don't.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I smell a leadership pitch...

Seriously having seen Gove vs Watson there it shows what we could be seeing as leaders, rather than the pathetic specimens we're currently cursed with

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Iain Anderson

@iain_w_anderson
Follow Follow @iain_w_anderson
More
There is a real sense Cabinet and key backbenchers on @Conservatives side are talking themselves into a Customs Union tonight #Brexit
7:48 PM - 16 Jan 2019

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I smell a leadership pitch...

Seriously having seen Gove vs Watson there it shows what we could be seeing as leaders, rather than the pathetic specimens we're currently cursed with

This. One could argue that although Gove mentioned the PM once, his rather more extensive proselytizing elswhere amounted to damning by faint praise. It was a free hit for him in several respects, including reminding his back benchers what a skilled and erudite lad he is. In other words, shameless self promotion. He remains a slimy little shit, despite the bravura performance.

Watson, on the other hand?....I commend his disloyalty to the momentum gang and their shabby leader.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve been challenged over calling Tories selfish *****. Now, their party has totally and utterly failed the U.K. There is no other way to describe the events leading up to yesterday which resulted in the heaviest defeat on any government in history. A defeat which would automatically boot you out of power in some other countries. The only decent and honourable thing for the party to do, in fact anyone who has monumentally ****ed up like this in any walk of life, is to resign. But oh no, the self-serving tossers have voted themselves in again using a stupid and pointless system which they brought in to protect themselves in the first place.

Selfish self-serving ***** is all I can think of to describe them.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Absolute twaddle! Complete remainer unjustified superiority complex. Leavers voted to leave because we wanted to leave the EU. That's too hard for you to understand, so you're in denial.
But that's your problem, not leavers'.

I'm not in denial. I see arguments for both sides as anyone who has read and listened ought to be able to do, it is never black and white. I thought leaving would be harmful to the UK as it would draw adversarial divisions in Northern Ireland and Scotland and it would sour relations with Europe. Realistically, I do agree that in the long term leaving may be beneficial economically and more than anything else, at least our politics could be focused on matters which affect our people and we can hold our politicians to account,

The problem is that the type of Brexit I would vote for would be slow and transitional. You may not like it but in every discussion I've had over the past two years, people want different things, be it a no-deal brexit, keeping a customs union, Norway ++, Canada, Services Only etc.
This is true in parliament too and TM's deal reflects the same even inside the conservative party. To suggest that everyone thinks the same is to do an injustice to those who've considered this carefully and come out on either side of the argument.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
:lolol: I’m sorry but someone from the U.K. is the very last person I’ll listen to when it comes to the state-of-a-nation.

Lame-duck leader. Ffs. Listen to yourself.

You are of course consistent aren't you? Someone from Germany is the very last person we should be listening to when it comes to the state-of-a-nation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here