Votes: 153 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 207 57.5%

• Total voters

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That was deliberate, but harmless. Stephens was potentially dangerous and pointless. I thought he was being ruffled and the battle was only going to be lost by getting stuck in, especially with a bribed ref and a Cardiff team willing to play that game. No doubt it changed the whole match, we could have possibly won being as shit as we were against wolves/whu etc, although we were utterly Shute today. Reminded me of the Goldstone Circe 95/96 or anything with McGee (which is when I gave up my ST ) relatively speaking obviously

Cunningham’s challenge on Andone was worse than Stephen’s

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the claim will be that he was in an offside position but the ball clipped Dunk before it reached Bamba, hence onside.

A deflection doesnt count now a days as it did in the past to put a player onside.

As regards the red Card it was because the inefficient man in charge said so whether he was correct is a different matter.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Out working today ...but have listened to a clip of an interview with CH who has made more of the winning goal that should have been called offside ...I’m surprised there isn’t s thread ‘Was it offside’

There does not need to be a 'Was it offside?' thread because it was offside. There is no question or debate to be had on that subject, it just was offside.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Never a red, all red card decisions should be reviewed as a matter of course and if it is decided that the other player dived, then the card should be withdrawn from the alleged offender and awarded to the cheat.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yellow for me. Cardiff were falling down all game long with the slightest touch. However until we work out how to attack it doesn't make much difference. Playing so defensively negates any attacking prowess we have

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Never a red, all red card decisions should be reviewed as a matter of course and if it is decided that the other player dived, then the card should be withdrawn from the alleged offender and awarded to the cheat.

Stricter control may come about next season with the increased use of VAR.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Personally I think it's 50/50, but it's irrelevant, we played so badly against a shit team we deserved to lose

I just hope ( but don't honestly expect) that when the 'club' watch it all back they see the same and try and do something about it.

I'd rather lose playing well and good football than what I've seen in the last 5 games, which is frankly, depressing.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
It wasn’t worse. It was more cynical. There’s a big difference. Stephens’ challenge can injure people, whereas Cunningham’s just pisses people off with his cynicism.
Maybe, but the other big difference in those challenges was that Cunningham’s foul was deliberate with no attempt whatsoever to play the ball - whereas Stephens made what seemed to be a genuine attempt to play the ball. Shame that refs don’t seem to take that into account.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For the first one, it was clearly flicked on from the head of an Albion player. For the second one, when their player headed it back towards the six yard box, Bamba was with Dunk - and it's difficult to see at the exact moment he headed it - but there were milliseconds between him being the nearest to the keeper and Dunk's right leg being nearer. That will be their claim anyway.

Thanks for this. By 'their' in your last sentence, do you mean Cardiff?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maybe, but the other big difference in those challenges was that Cunningham’s foul was deliberate with no attempt whatsoever to play the ball - whereas Stephens made what seemed to be a genuine attempt to play the ball. Shame that refs don’t seem to take that into account.

Refs follow the laws of the game. Which is good in my book. Blame the rules, not the ref. I'm glad that there are red cards for dangerous play, and I think Stephens' challenge constituted dangerous play (whereas I didn't when he was sent off against Boro -- and nor did Mike Dean, originally). As for 'professional fouls', the laws have deemed them red cards in the past.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Refs follow the laws of the game. Which is good in my book. Blame the rules, not the ref. I'm glad that there are red cards for dangerous play, and I think Stephens' challenge constituted dangerous play (whereas I didn't when he was sent off against Boro -- and nor did Mike Dean, originally). As for 'professional fouls', the laws have deemed them red cards in the past.
You’re probably right that it’s the rules that need looking at - I’m not defending Stephen’s tackle, just saying that IMO Cunningham’s was worse. If your intention is to deliberately body check a player running at speed when the ball is nowhere near you, then you deserve a red.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
You’re probably right that it’s the rules that need looking at - I’m not defending Stephen’s tackle, just saying that IMO Cunningham’s was worse. If your intention is to deliberately body check a player running at speed when the ball is nowhere near you, then you deserve a red.

Dear oh dear they r are laws of the game NOT rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Hughton said himself 50/50 challenge which gave the ref a decision to make stevens has a history of these challenges at least we can have a few weeks without and average player and c how we go then we will know if he is as good as a few think he is

I might take your moronic point of view more seriously if you could spell our players name correctly.

Your posts reek of a palace fan on a wind-up.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It was debatable as he got the ball but the pace of the challenge and the reaction from the players makes up the refs mind. The other decision that was odd was the Cardiff player taking out Andone with no attempt whatsoever to play the ball. Ironically it was very similar to the foul a Cardiff player was sent off for a few weeks earlier.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Players should know that if you tackle like that these days the ref will send you off more times than not. Silly tackle from Stepehns and for me it was a red.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
100% a red card. Foot was up. Why oh ****ing why?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I might take your moronic point of view more seriously if you could spell our players name correctly.

Your posts reek of a palace fan on a wind-up.

Yep have a different view your accused of a troll palace fan etc
Believe what u want been comming since 77 goldstone gillingham withdean
And only missed two games at amex since it opened but u carry on . Spoke to about 8 different Brighton fans tonight and most are sick and tired of the same old hughton dross week in week out . Fingers crossed for Leicester at home but u know what’s comming
And you’ll b on here defending it well done you

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No. Ridiculous decision. Took the ball. That’s all that should matter.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
100% not a red.

Gets there first, by a long way and twists his foot so he's taken the ball with the inside of his boot. Slides initially with studs but only when moving towards the ball. Cardiff make the most of it and get him sent off, not helped by Atkinson's position. If you look at the angle Sky showed their pundits it's clean as a whistle.

I've been saying this on FB debates all evening, if that's a red then we'll end up with no players left on the pitch in a few years. It must happen two or three times a game. I want my centre mids to make those challenges, not bottle out. If he'd pulled out this board would be full of posts about Stephens bottling and not caring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here