Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your secrets of longevity?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Having a dog is said to be very good for longevity..........God knows what I'd eat and drink if she wasn't around.

Music is such a good stress relief :thumbsup:

Sort of this till i pondered on the fact that my main musical heroes are now all dead! Ian Curtis,Joe Strummer,Johhny Cash,David Bowie and the main man Leonard Norman Cohen. These artists made up 80% of my music playing.No more new albums no more tours but glad to say have seen them all live apart from Cash.Who's going to provide a soundtrack for my remaining years:(

Having a dog is said to be very good for longevity.Gets me on the glorious southdowns every morning! Gotta help!

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
:whistle:
Sort of this till i pondered on the fact that my main musical heroes are now all dead! Ian Curtis,Joe Strummer,Johhny Cash,David Bowie and the main man Leonard Norman Cohen. These artists made up 80% of my music playing.No more new albums no more tours but glad to say have seen them all live apart from Cash.Who's going to provide a soundtrack for my remaining years:(

Having a dog is said to be very good for longevity.Gets me on the glorious southdowns every morning! Gotta help!

Used to leave work for home listening to Kiss FM, but I found the banging dance music was matched by my effing & jeffing at the other gimps on the road.
So now it's a cultured trip home with Classic FM.
No room for a dog, but you've a great title for a thread there, in 'soundtrack for saga' [MENTION=12634]Return of the Rev[/MENTION] :whistle:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Been thinking a bit about this recently as I turn 60 tomorrow and am within a couple of years of the age that my dad died. Not only that but none of my grandparents reached 75 - two failing to reach 65. It's all very sobering.

On the other hand, my mum's still going strong at 86. And I'm in good nick; I'm fit enough to cycle everywhere, I'm doing a rugby coaching course and managed to play two games of Sevens with the 20 and 30-somethings last week. I've not smoked, been a veggie all my adult life and drink moderately. I hope that's all enough to see my kids grow to adulthood.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Been thinking a bit about this recently as I turn 60 tomorrow and am within a couple of years of the age that my dad died. Not only that but none of my grandparents reached 75 - two failing to reach 65. It's all very sobering.

On the other hand, my mum's still going strong at 86. And I'm in good nick; I'm fit enough to cycle everywhere, I'm doing a rugby coaching course and managed to play two games of Sevens with the 20 and 30-somethings last week. I've not smoked, been a veggie all my adult life and drink moderately. I hope that's all enough to see my kids grow to adulthood.

Fantastic stuff :O

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

My Dad was an orphan at 17, his parents having died in their 40s and 50s. One died of diptheria, and the other of pneumonia. This was prewar, vaccinations and antibiotics. He lived to 78.
My maternal grandfather died of a heart attack at 68, but my grandmother lived to 84. My mother is still going at 87, but with no quality of life to speak of.

I've already lost a brother and sister, so think myself very lucky to still be here at 68.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The lesson is....there is no lesson.
I've known people who burn the candle at every end and have lived to a good age and I've known moderates who have died relatively young. A lot depends on the genes you inherit. There is little or no heart trouble anywhere in my family but nearly everybody gets the big C. Suicidal tendencies run in some families. others have no history. It all depends on your biological make-up. If you are pre-disposed to something, then it will probably get you. Hammering booze and fags, day after day, clearly increases your chances of dying younger than anticipated but its not cast iron guaranteed.

Surely this is nonsense? The fact that we can identify "people who burn the candle at every end" but live long, and "moderates" who die young, doesn't change the other fact that, statistically, if both the candle-burners and the moderates took measures to be more (even more, in the case of the moderates) healthy, through diet, exercise, and other lifestyle improvements, they'd both be likely to live longer than otherwise.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
By ignoring absolutely everything that comes under the heading of 'Government Advice' when it comes to lifestyle choices. Especially food and drink. It's all bollocks.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Plenty of exercise each day and a good balanced diet.

Must admit I impressed myself on Saturday by downing a pint of Harveys in three minutes at half-time. Great ale but I only really drink at football.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
For crying out loud...why is Bruno being held up as any example of longevity? Yes, he's got a big beard and no hair. But in years he's a baby. Better to ask an ancient person, don't you think?
For myself, I suggest it's mostly in your genes, apart from the poster boasting of his biggun....and that's in his jeans! :wink:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Tomatoes, turmeric and purple-coloured food. Together or separately.

And alcohol, obviously.

Tomatoes and turmeric are the two biggies, along with green tea. That said, as Brovian posted above, could all be bollocks in the same way that anti wrinkle cream does nothing to stop your skin ageing. A decades long alcoholic and big smoker that I know has amazing skin and looks about ten years younger than his age, that said he could drop down dead tomoz.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yay! life's a lottery .... don't worry about a ting
Agreed. I'm sure those people who think things like "Oh, I haven't eaten my five a day .... I think I've had too many units of booze this week .... I wonder how much added sugar and salt there is in my broccoli smoothie?" etc actually make themselves more ill with worry than those of us who don't give a shit. In the long run we're all dead anyway.

Cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here